"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: GO4IT on Feb 06, 2014, 10:03 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 06, 2014, 08:51 PM
Where to begin?  All this arguing is so circuital.  I had the most wonderful time at One Big Holiday and anyone's well thought out opinion about should not detract from my experience.  Sure they ran thru some played out covers but they still had the dancefloor bumping.  Off the record, I was bummed we didn't get a Quick One.  Dontgetupset is clearly a hardcore fan and shouldn't have to lay low just because he couldn't have POSSIBLY gotten the complete lowdown on the vibe there.  He admitted as much that how could he know the way he sang so let's chill and don't get all how do you know on him.  Reading this thread made me feel like I was going to hell. I'm sure he is a wonderful man and we should roll back the vitriol eh?

Was there any better feeling than leaving on a jet plane to Mexico? After all, we are all just one in the same and all constructive opinions are welcome anytime.  I wish you all the best.  Like a bear sauntering into the woods to deposit some remnants, I just needed to get that out of my system.

Do you realize that was the cheeziest shit ever written on this forum?

COME ON!  COME ON!  GET UP!  COME ON!

Love Me,

Cayne Woyne

Ruckus a SBB wanna be?
http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,18215.msg344659.html#msg344659
:grin: :grin: :grin: :beer:

The more the merrier!  :thumbsup: "Like a bear sauntering into the woods to deposit some remnants" is just brilliant. Well done Ruckus! :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 07, 2014, 12:48 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 06, 2014, 11:40 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 06, 2014, 11:00 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 06, 2014, 10:29 PM
Bunch of nonsense people arguing if they got their "thousands of dollars worth" at a rock and roll show on 3 consecutive nights at a beach front resort in Mexico.

you will get over this, I dare say
More peanut gallery BS. Most of the complaints are from people who were not there. A comment here or there about not having an expectation fulfilled can only be expected.

Holy crap, I was just looking to vent some frustration; dontgetupset wasn't even there?  :grin: You have got to be trolling, right?

I have been coming here for over 10 years, but that may be the best ever. My apologies to those who DID attend and complained.

Complaining about a show you didn't attend: NOW we're getting somewhere.

The Man Who Wasn't There (Official trailer)
You make no sense.

No, I make perfect sense; you just don't get it
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Santo

Quote from: dontgetupset on Feb 07, 2014, 07:47 AM
Hi there. Not trolling and not retracting my view. I am very much aware that the not-having-been-there skews and distorts my view to such an extent that it is totally fine to discount my critique BUT I am still surprised. All in all it could have been the incredible experience and then so much more had they taken very small steps (new songs, new covers, rare covers, super rarities) that would have added value on what already existed.

I and a handful of open-minded others were mildly surprised. That is all.

Two thoughts on this comment:

1) I think its amazing that availability of live shows online can make a 3 show, nearly 9 hour, no repeat event, seem ubiquitous. What a wonderful problem to have, please don't change :thumbsup:

2) Super rarity must be in the eye-of-the-beholder. It sounds like they have only done the George Michael "bananas" once before. I can't vouch for anyone else, but I have never heard that set of songs done together before. Work prevented me from going to any Americanarama, so I have not seen Bob Weir and his repertoire so it is the first time I have heard them do Dear Prudence, I know you Rider, etc. I have not heard Wayne Coyne sing Isn't it a Pity. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to see Prez Hall on stage before. Their recordings don't do them justice.

Ruckus

I do agree with you don'tgetupset in that I did expect more in the way of surprises or deep cuts.

Santo to my knowledge, that was the 4th time they did Careless Whisper with bananas.  Was it Fillmore NYE o6, T5, Forecastle 2012, and OBH.

I agree about the Bobby thing.  BEW>Rider was maybe my favorite part. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

parkervb

Can't we all just move on to sweating the release date of the album and subsequent tour? 
Don't you ever turn it off

Taterbug

My biggest complaint is that I wasn't there. 
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

walterfredo

Quote from: Taterbug on Feb 07, 2014, 11:49 AM
My biggest complaint is that I wasn't there.

same.  Total bullshit and I want my money back.   

MOWJO8185

Quote from: Santo on Feb 07, 2014, 09:37 AM
Quote from: dontgetupset on Feb 07, 2014, 07:47 AM
Hi there. Not trolling and not retracting my view. I am very much aware that the not-having-been-there skews and distorts my view to such an extent that it is totally fine to discount my critique BUT I am still surprised. All in all it could have been the incredible experience and then so much more had they taken very small steps (new songs, new covers, rare covers, super rarities) that would have added value on what already existed.

I and a handful of open-minded others were mildly surprised. That is all.

Two thoughts on this comment:

1) I think its amazing that availability of live shows online can make a 3 show, nearly 9 hour, no repeat event, seem ubiquitous. What a wonderful problem to have, please don't change :thumbsup:

2) Super rarity must be in the eye-of-the-beholder. It sounds like they have only done the George Michael "bananas" once before. I can't vouch for anyone else, but I have never heard that set of songs done together before. Work prevented me from going to any Americanarama, so I have not seen Bob Weir and his repertoire so it is the first time I have heard them do Dear Prudence, I know you Rider, etc. I have not heard Wayne Coyne sing Isn't it a Pity. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to see Prez Hall on stage before. Their recordings don't do them justice.

This is a good point. I think, when bands get to the point of releasing multiple shows online, and when they have been as comprehensive as MMJ's recent 2012 runs at Red Rocks and Port Chester, that fans view every concert not just through the lens of a great live experience, but as a potential live release, especially if it is a high profile show. Certainly, had I been at OBH, I would have had a greater appreciation for the passion, intensity, and environment of the show, and those things could have pushed it over the top to the best show ever. But those things don't come through on tape so well, so as someone who didn't attend, I do mostly view it in terms of, how does this add to my live soundboard MMJ collection?  And I think when you view things through that lens, setlist variation is one of the more important aspects, and it mostly wasn't there, save the covers.

rincon2

Quote from: parkervb on Feb 07, 2014, 09:58 AM
Can't we all just move on to sweating the release date of the album and subsequent tour?
Since this is a thread about OBH in Mexico, why would that be discussed here? Make a thread.

Santo

First, I apologize for the long winded post. I have really enjoyed this conversation because it made me think about what I want in a show. I certainly understand why it may have gotten a bit heated at times, we all have our opinions and they are always personal. OBH was by far the best vacation I have ever had and, therefore, one of my favorite shows. When reading people's comments about the setlists being blasé, it kind of felt like a kick in the nuts, but the comments fostered a lively discussion.

I don't think it's fair to compare what other bands do to what we just saw. Pearl Jam may do consistent 4 hour shows. They don't tour as hard, and as far as I know, there is not a "no repeat" guarantee. I personally prefer a residency with 3 hour shows. The day-to-day anticipation and fan camaraderie is the dog's bollocks. Plus I like savoring every minute of the run. Don't even get me started on Bruce Springsteen; he can keep his single show digital download/usb bracelet, I'll keep my $40.

Here is what I look for in a show (in order):
1)   The music. I like a mix of standards with stuff I have not heard before, even if it is common for that tour. With my work schedule and proximity to venues, I'm lucky if I get to see them once a year. I think I might be a bit disappointed if they did traditional jamband gig and did a smaller set with more variation between shows. I already feel like I am missing out, I think that may put me over the edge.

2)   Being there. You can argue the merits of Port Chester to me all that you want. I'm always going to think the Red Rocks shows are better. Listening to them always brings back memories. Red Rocks and now OBH will stay in heavy rotation on my playlist. I can't say the same for PC. they don't bring out the same emotions.

3)   Crowd Vibe. Music always first and foremost, but going to a show is organic. The crowd is as much of the experience as the band is. I love going to the Red Rocks, it is the best venue in the world. But, and all apologies to the Denver board members (you guys are some of the best Jacket fans in the world), I have never been to any Denver venue where I didn't get into or see some sort of argument that soured the evening. Whether it was getting yelled at for returning to the rail after going to the bathroom at the Jim James show, overhearing a 1 hour top-of-the-lungs conversation about intramural kick-ball while trying to listen to The Wheel, or fighting off an organized group of 30 seat crashers who claim the Red Rocks is all general admission while they try to take over our 4 seats, something always happens. I even saw a fight at a Red Rocks Willy concert. It was between two groups of people, the Standers and Dancers vs. the Sitters. This was not the case for OBH. Others have mentioned it, but it was an amazing, active, and friendly crowd. I have never seen anything like it.

It probably deserves a new topic, but my question to you all...What do you look for in a great show?

Santo

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 07, 2014, 09:49 AM
Santo to my knowledge, that was the 4th time they did Careless Whisper with bananas.  Was it Fillmore NYE o6, T5, Forecastle 2012, and OBH.

I stand corrected. I still contend that bananas is a "rarity". Underscores my point about the subjective nature of the term.

rincon2

Santo said: "Others have mentioned it, but it was an amazing, active, and friendly crowd. I have never seen anything like it."

That is the biggest intangible there. It is actually my fondest recollection of the whole trip, including the zip line.

JTG1975

Listened to PC, both nights, in their entirety today. First time. Uninterrupted on a long flight. I now understand how ridiculous it is to criticize a show from afar. Aside from dondante and carried away, was sorta...good?

themarsvolta

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 07, 2014, 06:20 PM
Santo said: "Others have mentioned it, but it was an amazing, active, and friendly crowd. I have never seen anything like it."

That is the biggest intangible there. It is actually my fondest recollection of the whole trip, including the zip line.

I definitely came away from this trip knowing this was a unique experience... with the strongest feeling of connectivity as I've ever felt. The Band. The People. The Place. The Surroundings. It just all fit so well. It was like we were all one thing. I've been to some incredible shows in my life, with some really different crowds and performances. Nothing was like this. I can never rank shows, songs, movies, etc.... I just remember moments... and I've probably never had so many instant moments of reflections before. This is what I'll always come back to with this trip. This is why I described it as a love lost. It was special. I don't remember if I've ever shared any videos immediately for any other show. I was trying to upload my vids instantly and it was 100% because I was aware of the moment and felt bad for those that love this band as much or more than I do and couldn't be there.

It wasn't just during the shows... it was every moment of the week. Just such an amazing feeling. They could have pulled on an old See 'n Say for 9 hours and I'd probably have the same reaction.

Long overdue for us seemingly forever just surviving New Yorkers.

We feel incredibly lucky.

@@

Kip Buntrock

You just made me cry. YES the best experience of my life. !!!

rincon2

Quote from: themarsvolta on Feb 07, 2014, 09:22 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 07, 2014, 06:20 PM

I definitely came away from this trip knowing this was a unique experience... with the strongest feeling of connectivity as I've ever felt. The Band. The People. The Place. The Surroundings. It just all fit so well. It was like we were all one thing. I've been to some incredible shows in my life, with some really different crowds and performances. Nothing was like this. I can never rank shows, songs, movies, etc.... I just remember moments... and I've probably never had so many instant moments of reflections before. This is what I'll always come back to with this trip. This is why I described it as a love lost. It was special. I don't remember if I've ever shared any videos immediately for any other show. I was trying to upload my vids instantly and it was 100% because I was aware of the moment and felt bad for those that love this band as much or more than I do and couldn't be there.

It wasn't just during the shows... it was every moment of the week. Just such an amazing feeling. They could have pulled on an old See 'n Say for 9 hours and I'd probably have the same reaction.

Long overdue for us seemingly forever just surviving New Yorkers.

We feel incredibly lucky.

@@
And I have been known to be a negative fuck from time to time. That scene was transcending.

rincon2

Watching Red Rocks 2012 night 2 on DVR. I am pretty sure those shows were the modern epitome of MMJ shows based on setlist and performance. But,,,,,,,,who walked 2 minutes home for 4 nights? Who had 75 degree winds blowing in various directions with pleasant humidity? Music may have been better in Denver, but no effin way was the overall experience. And why do I want to cry every time I watch Steam Engine live?

ericm

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 08, 2014, 02:40 AM
Watching Red Rocks 2012 night 2 on DVR. I am pretty sure those shows were the modern epitome of MMJ shows based on setlist and performance. But,,,,,,,,who walked 2 minutes home for 4 nights? Who had 75 degree winds blowing in various directions with pleasant humidity? Music may have been better in Denver, but no effin way was the overall experience. And why do I want to cry every time I watch Steam Engine live?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the setlist, and performance are the most important thing, with those being what makes their experience. Seeing shows at RR ain't exactly  chopped liver regardless of having to drive or not having a tropical temp. Throw in being there with a great, hardcore group of friends/fans, and it rivals anything, anywhere,IMO.

I'm certainly not putting down the experience of OBH or those shows. I sure as hell wish i could've been there, but I just don't think anyone can speak for everyone's experiences. To each their own.
"Where's Jim going?"

themarsvolta

Ok... Not even kidding... I was working yesterday and had my music library on random when Steam Engine came on. It stopped me dead in my tracks. I put down my tools and just sat there. I got so overwhelmed with emotion that I had to text my wife it was happening. She sent me the video of Jim playing it solo for Rolling Stone... It broke me down!

I felt as sad as I could feel without something real happening to me. Then I felt so happy again thinking about the trip. Followed by instant sadness once again because I was at work in Freezing, Snowy NY!

Pretty much that moment yesterday was why I ended up writing that post yesterday. I was in that frame of mind! I ended up sharing that video with my entire family... My goal is to have everyone I know come see how special this band is and what they do to you from experience.

When I just read your comment about Steam Engine, it solidifies the unity this band (and other bands) creates with it's listeners. Magical moments... Even during work!

Fuck, getting all emotional again!
@@

rincon2

Quote from: ericm on Feb 08, 2014, 09:39 AM

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the setlist, and performance are the most important thing, with those being what makes their experience. Seeing shows at RR ain't exactly  chopped liver regardless of having to drive or not having a tropical temp. Throw in being there with a great, hardcore group of friends/fans, and it rivals anything, anywhere,IMO.

I'm certainly not putting down the experience of OBH or those shows. I sure as hell wish i could've been there, but I just don't think anyone can speak for everyone's experiences. To each their own.
Eric. I met you at the Patterson Hood show on Long Island. I am not sure if you spent the night at Jeff's house, but I did not. I had to drive 10 miles to my hotel room not knowing where I was. So yeah. Walking 2 minutes to my room is a serious factor in considering how great an experience is. Unlimited prepaid alcohol, with a 2 minute walk, has the ability to place this experience beyond anything I have ever had. Think about this. 3 outdoor MMJ shows, in warm weather, walking distance to bed each night. Once in a lifetime shit. (I hope not)