Pedal Reccomendation

Started by chaz2themax, Jan 08, 2009, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

first post here..
i'm looking to get a couple guitar pedals to emmulate some MMJ sounds but not sure what to get.  Don't have a ton to spend here so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  I've been to that gear setup page and saw the pictures of what jim and carl use but don't have the cash for that whole setup.  What would be 3 good pedals to get??  Thanks.

aMillionDreams

Here's some info on what the band actually uses.  

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/blog/2008/11/gear-my-morning-jacket.html

Here is the specifics I dug up on the pedals that Jim is using in the picture.
Zvex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz pedal:
Zvex Box of Rock pedal:
Mr. Echo Plus:
Boss OC-2 Octave pedal:
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver pedal:
Boss RV-5 Reverb pedal:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner:
Hothand Phaser/flanger pedal (w/ wireless kit):

Note: This post was copied and pasted from a thread it the band section, it's not my work in other words.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

What guitar and amp are you using? That'll help out a ton with suggestions, as certain pedals react completely differently with your tone if you're using say, a Peavey Transtube or Marshall AVT-30 vs. a Fender Twin or Peavey Classic 30. If you're using an all-solid-state amp, I'd suggest saving your pedal money and checking eBay for a good used Peavey Classic 30 (2x12 is probably the most portable and sense-making) or a Peavey Delta Blues (I've got the 1x15 and it has serious balls and won't take a distortion pedal. The more I try and find one, the more I'm pretty sure I just need some sort of slightly dirty booster-type pedal. This is neither here or nor there.)

Anywho, what's your rig so far?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

charlie

Pretty amateur setup.  Fender Princeton 112 from like '98 and a crappy strat from about the same time.  I'm not a serious musician or in a band, but i enjoy playing for myself and wanted to get into some pedals.  Are they worth adding to this setup??

tomEisenbraun

Hmmm....

I would honestly suggest trolling eBay for a Peavey Classic 30 or a Peavey Delta Blues with your pedal money. I think I got my Delta Blues for under $350 with shipping included and it's been an incredible amp to me for the past four years. The difference between solid state and tube overdrive is a complete world of difference, and one that no pedal will breathe into a solid state amp.

If you'd rather got the pedal route, though, I'd highly suggest an MXR Phase90. That one was on Jim's pedalboard for a while and gets used a bit. FI your Princeton doesn't have reverb, maybe a reverb pedal like ElectroHarmonix's Holy Grail or the Boss RV5? Hmmm...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

thestranger

You may want to check out the older fender Blues Jr. Something used and cheap. It's only 15 watts but it gets pretty loud and breaks up at fairly low volume. Great for recording and smaller club gigs.  You can find em for less than 300 on Craigslist or ebay.

thestranger

Big Muff is always fun and warm.

Vadie Stark

Buy a Pod, Jim has one.
[highlight][/highlight]
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.