MMJ on CBS Sunday Morning

Started by subinai, Jun 29, 2013, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

subinai

looks like they are going to be on tomorrow morning. maybe this will include the footage they shot at the MSG show w/ serena altschul back in 2011?

http://smarturl.it/bxje5y

pretty stoked on this. i love CBS Sunday Morning.

ericm

Quote from: subinai on Jun 29, 2013, 11:52 AM
looks like they are going to be on tomorrow morning. maybe this will include the footage they shot at the MSG show w/ serena altschul back in 2011?

http://smarturl.it/bxje5y

pretty stoked on this. i love CBS Sunday Morning.

If you click on the 2nd "here" in that link, we see some very familiar forum friends rocking the MSG rail!!  :thumbsup:  :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"

el_chode

I heard about this on Sirius this morning. Now, in my opinion, Jam_ON was always hip to the Jacket but slow to catch on. I mean, they streamed NYE from the Fillmore with the Oregon Trail intro way back when, but limited their Jacket spins basically to OBH and occasionally Steam Engine until recently when they've really opened up their playlist.

So the host says, "...and that was OTR by MMJ from Bonnaroo in 2005, one of my favorite shows, etc blah blah. They will be on CBS Sunday Morning tomorrow morning discussing their return to the Farm".

Ok, so I'm thinking MMJ talking about 'roo. Still cool, but nothing groundbreaking.

Then she added "in Kentucky".

I don't mean to rumor-monger, but is that an album recording hint? I sort of assumed the host assumed that TN and KY were the same thing and Bonnaroo was in both states at the same time.

EDIT: just read the description from the above link. I guess not. Sad face.jpg
I'm surrounded by assholes

searchinbig

Love it. Notice the Burwell in the background?? I'll be sure to wear my tie die tomorrow. Funny Jim mentions my other favorite band in the clip.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

ericm

Quote from: searchinbig on Jun 29, 2013, 02:26 PM
Love it. Notice the Burwell in the background?? I'll be sure to wear my tie die tomorrow. Funny Jim mentions my other favorite band in the clip.

Picked up on both as they're also one of my other all time favorite bands,  :cool: and I have that  Burwell, as well as it's LA sister. :thumbsup: although that MSG appears to be signed by the band, and well..........mine isn't. :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

justbcuzido

Quote from: el_chode on Jun 29, 2013, 01:32 PM
I heard about this on Sirius this morning. Now, in my opinion, Jam_ON was always hip to the Jacket but slow to catch on. I mean, they streamed NYE from the Fillmore with the Oregon Trail intro way back when, but limited their Jacket spins basically to OBH and occasionally Steam Engine until recently when they've really opened up their playlist.

So the host says, "...and that was OTR by MMJ from Bonnaroo in 2005, one of my favorite shows, etc blah blah. They will be on CBS Sunday Morning tomorrow morning discussing their return to the Farm".

Ok, so I'm thinking MMJ talking about 'roo. Still cool, but nothing groundbreaking.

Then she added "in Kentucky".

I don't mean to rumor-monger, but is that an album recording hint? I sort of assumed the host assumed that TN and KY were the same thing and Bonnaroo was in both states at the same time.

EDIT: just read the description from the above link. I guess not. Sad face.jpg

It would be pretty awesome if they returned to the silo for the next album.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Shug

Quote from: searchinbig on Jun 29, 2013, 02:26 PM

Jay-Z?   :grin:
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

GO4IT

Just saw the piece here on the East Coast.  Very nice intro to the band, including short clips of about 10 songs.  It must have mostly been shot a while ago since it includes MSG and some winter scenes in Kentucky.
See it if you still can!

YimYodd

I enjoyed all the luv shown by the various media outlets quoted and the 'critic', didn't catch his name, interviewed.
Cool to see the farm & Jim sticking his head into the silo to demonstrate the echo effect.
Best part was the photo of Jim & Patrick from 4th grade. :grin: :thumbsup:
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Ironcross

Anybody record this by chance?

Colfax

Great piece. I really enjoyed some of the discussion. I'd love to hear a nice expansion on some of those like when Jim is describing the noise he wants and Carl says, "oh E flat". Hysterical.

I think Frank Zappa used to say there's no chord as ugly as a giraffe filled with shaving cream.

el_chode

Quote from: MamaKel on Jun 30, 2013, 03:30 PM
Not to be overly critical, but how many times can the same puff piece be covered?  If this is the 'greatest live band in America', why does every single article/segment for the last two years sound the EXACT same?  For Circuital, it goes something like this:

"Band from Kentucky...Patrick and Jim have known each other since 4th grade...eccentric sound/lead singer...influenced by The Muppets/Roy Orbison/Marvin Gaye...Jim wants the song to sound like 'purple'...Bo and Carl, who are classically trained, figure out what that means...insert witty banter"

For Regions of Light and Sound of God, it went more like this:

"Recorded at home over the course of two years, after Jim fell off stage, influenced by graphic novel 'Gods' Man' (sometimes God's Man), true solo album, psychedelic, soulful, futuristic..."

The live reviews are much the same.

I mean, if these are some of the greatest live musicians alive today...the last of a dying breed of true artists, why can't anyone seem to delve any deeper into the artistic intent behind the music? Why is everything the same...time after time?  Truthfully, I think it is affecting how they play in a live setting.  I understand they have to sell records, but for at least 6 months of the Circuital tour, it was virtually the same show, night after night.  If the individuals in this band are the artists I/We believe them to be, why are they not challenging fans/audiences to see art in a new way instead of catering their setlists to some perceived notion of the audience's 'median taste'. Particularly at a festival.  I mean, I know they play their hearts out, but who says it has to be Circuital and I'm Amazed? I think one of my all time favorite moments seeing this band was watching them play "How Do You Know?" at Soundcheck...it was raw...it felt like I was hearing them all over again for the first time.

And it isn't just about the playing...they could play chopsticks and I would prolly have 15 different versions of it in my car.  This music lives and breathes in me.  These albums, whether as a group or Jim's solo work, have challenged everything about the way that I see myself...the way I experience art...the way that I see the world. And to see such greatness mired in the mundanity of tokenism does it, and the people it has the potential of reaching, a tremendous disservice.  The world has enough rock stars.  It needs artists.
And while I know not everyone in the world knows My Morning Jacket, and that everyone needs some sort of introduction to new influences/ideas, to dumb it down or make it rote, only makes the audience dumb and the art rote.

I'm taking a break to find new inspiration...

I think it's probably because the "mainstream press" is geared towards - oh, hey, there's a squirrel
I'm surrounded by assholes

parkervb

For me (and most of the forum members I'm guessing), most of the info was old hat.  I was loving the mainstream exposure and love they were getting from the critics ("one of the most imp't bands of this century".   I kinda felt like Trent from Swingers in a way..."our baby's all grown up".
Don't you ever turn it off

Colfax

Quote from: MamaKel on Jun 30, 2013, 03:30 PM
Not to be overly critical, but how many times can the same puff piece be covered?  If this is the 'greatest live band in America', why does every single article/segment for the last two years sound the EXACT same?  For Circuital, it goes something like this:

"Band from Kentucky...Patrick and Jim have known each other since 4th grade...eccentric sound/lead singer...influenced by The Muppets/Roy Orbison/Marvin Gaye...Jim wants the song to sound like 'purple'...Bo and Carl, who are classically trained, figure out what that means...insert witty banter"

For Regions of Light and Sound of God, it went more like this:

"Recorded at home over the course of two years, after Jim fell off stage, influenced by graphic novel 'Gods' Man' (sometimes God's Man), true solo album, psychedelic, soulful, futuristic..."

The live reviews are much the same.

I mean, if these are some of the greatest live musicians alive today...the last of a dying breed of true artists, why can't anyone seem to delve any deeper into the artistic intent behind the music? Why is everything the same...time after time?  Truthfully, I think it is affecting how they play in a live setting.  I understand they have to sell records, but for at least 6 months of the Circuital tour, it was virtually the same show, night after night.  If the individuals in this band are the artists I/We believe them to be, why are they not challenging fans/audiences to see art in a new way instead of catering their setlists to some perceived notion of the audience's 'median taste'. Particularly at a festival.  I mean, I know they play their hearts out, but who says it has to be Circuital and I'm Amazed? I think one of my all time favorite moments seeing this band was watching them play "How Do You Know?" at Soundcheck...it was raw...it felt like I was hearing them all over again for the first time.

And it isn't just about the playing...they could play chopsticks and I would prolly have 15 different versions of it in my car.  This music lives and breathes in me.  These albums, whether as a group or Jim's solo work, have challenged everything about the way that I see myself...the way I experience art...the way that I see the world. And to see such greatness mired in the mundanity of tokenism does it, and the people it has the potential of reaching, a tremendous disservice.  The world has enough rock stars.  It needs artists.
And while I know not everyone in the world knows My Morning Jacket, and that everyone needs some sort of introduction to new influences/ideas, to dumb it down or make it rote, only makes the audience dumb and the art rote.

I'm taking a break to find new inspiration...

This missive has a lot of great points and ones I generally agree with. But I'd also suggest that it reads like you want this band to be like Phish or the Grateful Dead and they're just not. I think they could be if they wanted to (and I would follow them around all summer),  but I also kind of like the way they're doing it.

APR

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 01, 2013, 10:21 AM
For me (and most of the forum members I'm guessing), most of the info was old hat.  I was loving the mainstream exposure and love they were getting from the critics ("one of the most imp't bands of this century".   I kinda felt like Trent from Swingers in a way..."our baby's all grown up".

Ditto.  I just wish the segment was longer.  I didn't think of Trent from Swingers, but "she's all grows up and she's all grows up and she's all grows up.....okay i'm the asshole..... you want us to leave?....I would never eat here anyway."

Sheets Of Clay

I'm always glad when they get mainstream attention but the "Roy Orbison poster camera pan over to a Muppets poster" bit was pretty corny.

mahg33ta

Mamakel they did an scoustic highly suspicious with preservation ball jazz.  It's used in the trailer for the phjb movie-  you should be able to find on YouTube. Live that video.  Our boys are having so much fun.

Fully

Quote from: MamaKel on Jul 02, 2013, 11:11 PM
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2013/05/video-premiere-preservation-hall-jazz-band-jim-jam.html

I can't find that...but I watched this for the first time.  Sometimes I forget who it is these men are. This made me remember who and what it is I love.  I'm such a self-righteous, overly-critical asshole sometimes.  I think I'm just projecting my own lack of artistic spirit onto them.  I need to start interviewing myself, in the mirror...asking questions like, "Has Debbie Downer always been an influence for you, or is that in light of your own total lack of personal accomplishment"?  You know...sweet stuff.  Hahahahahaha!

Actually you are right about the boring interview questions and narrative. There's more to them than the PR narrative, but it makes the interviewer's job easier and gives the band control over the message they put out about themselves. It must get really boring answering the same questions over and over again like they are the first time they've ever been asked. No one except people that follow them ever realize that the message is the same because as chode said, "look! There's a squirrel!"