Monsters of Folk s/t released 4 years ago today

Started by johnnYYac, Sep 22, 2013, 12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

subinai

Ghosts_on_TV

Really. Jenny Lewis posted an instagram pic the other day of Jim and Conor. I'm thinking they are together working on Conors solo album, but they could be working on new MOF...
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

johnnYYac

Probably just hanging out. Jim's tour took him to Omaha. He did say, in a recent interview, that MoF has reconvened briefly to vet some songs but their schedules will make recording a logistical problem. 

bluesky

after Will Johnson did the living room show at my place back in SF he mentioned that MOF had recorded about 5 songs last autumn. Sounded like scheduling time for them all to work together hasn't been easy.

GO4IT

Such a great album. Was just spinning this a few days ago.  Jim's backing vocals are as important to the album as his leads.

It's interesting that on Temazcal  Conor sings the lead on the album but on the video John posted it's M Ward that takes the lead.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 22, 2013, 08:37 PM
Probably just hanging out. Jim's tour took him to Omaha. He did say, in a recent interview, that MoF has reconvened briefly to vet some songs but their schedules will make recording a logistical problem.

Perhaps. Doesn't explian why Jenny Lewis was there though.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: GO4IT on Sep 22, 2013, 10:31 PM
Such a great album. Was just spinning this a few days ago.  Jim's backing vocals are as important to the album as his leads.

It's interesting that on Temazcal  Conor sings the lead on the album but on the video John posted it's M Ward that takes the lead.

There's also a video of Jim singing Sandman and Conor doing Right Place.

johnnYYac

They're swingers!  Into song swapping.

subinai

wouldnt mind hanging out with jenny lewis

SaraBananaBear

Such good music! This was the record that helped me find MMJ, thank you Monsters of Folk! ♥! Love the song swapping, wish they'd do that with more songs. Maybe three (four) versions of all the songs? :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

SaraBananaBear

Oh, the Jim version of The Sandman, the Brakeman, and Me is truly out of this world.

johnnYYac

I may have to compile mp3s of these alternate vocal leads...

BH

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Sep 23, 2013, 03:05 PM
Oh, the Jim version of The Sandman, the Brakeman, and Me is truly out of this world.

So great isn't it!   Also, apparently it took me 4 years to realize how awesome the lyrics are to this song!   

Thanks JY, I'm breaking it out tomorrow!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

Sara, did you note that the video for The Right Place is heavy on Conor's vocals?  I'll repost it here for your convenience.

Monsters of Folk - The Right Place Music Video [2]

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 23, 2013, 08:38 PM
Sara, did you note that the video for The Right Place is heavy on Conor's vocals?  I'll repost it here for your convenience.

Monsters of Folk - The Right Place Music Video [2]

Thanks JY! Anything heavy on Conor vocals is a favorite of mine! :thumbsup: I was going through a pretty ugly breakup around the time that the album was released. So sadly that (indirectly) meant that I had to skip the MoF show in Stockholm. :cry: Getting to hear some of the songs live at Jim's solo show, while not in MoF incarnation, was bliss! I wish and wish and WISH that they get together sometime soon and finish that second album so that they can go on a tour.