Main Menu

Jeff Buckley

Started by e_wind, Sep 28, 2013, 12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Quote from: MrWhippy on Oct 01, 2013, 05:16 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 01, 2013, 05:03 PM
Not that it would preclude it from being on Grace obviously, but I thought What Will You Say was a cover?

Love Kanga Roo. MWB is probably one of my favorite live albums.

I'm pretty sure What Will You Say is an original.  I also checked on allmusic.com and they list the song as composed by Jeff in their track listing for Mystery White Boy.

Looks like you're right. I have no idea why I always thought it was a cover. I guess because its just simply too good to not have been on Grace?! It isnt even on the 22 song Legacy Edition of Grace.

Knowing this now, Id instantly call it one of my 5 favorite Buckley songs, maybe top 3.

Last Goodbye
Mojo Pin
What Will You Say
Dream Brother
Grace
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

APR

Great story CC.  Based on your posts and Mr. Whippy, Tim Buckley is now on my list of musicians to check out.  I know he is a legend, I just don't his stuff.

Just listened to Mystery White Boy for the first time in a while..... so good.  It makes me sad when I listen to Jeff Buckley.  It's a combo of his voice and that he died.  I remember those days he was missing and fearing the worst.  And the news of his body in the river.  Awful.

zanjam

I worked for Columbia Records in the early-mid 90's doing retail marketing for new and upcoming artists, and Jeff Buckley's Grace was a big one for us.  I met Jeff a few times and spent some time hanging out with him.  He even had a fling with my counterpart in Chicago (I was in SF).  He was as weird, introverted and tortured as you probably imagine he was.  He had a larger than life presence but was just so uncomfortable in his own skin (or so it seemed).  When he died, it was obviously a huge blow to everyone who had worked with him.  No one at Columbia believed that his drowning was an accident, although that's what the official statement was.  No one will really ever know, though.

Grace is til to this day one of my fave albums of all time.  Every single song holds up.  Jeff was one of the best vocalists to ever have lived, IMO.

Whippy we must have been at those SF shows together.  And you're right...everyone knew he was a star just waiting to be born.  It was actually a bit of a mystery why it was taking Grace so long to catch on.  Tons of critical acclaim but record sales did not reflect that.  His death was such a shame.  The world was robbed of what would have undoubtedly been magical music for years to come.
anything + reverb always = better

e_wind

Wow, thats insane Jen, that you knew him once upon a time. I agree, one of the best vocalists of all time.

I'm still pretty infatuated with this guy. The music just keeps getting better and better as I listen more and more.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

e_wind

Also, a lot of his music reminds me of some earlier Radiohead. Or, maybe early radiohead reminds me of this. I dont know.

MrWhippy

Wow, Jenny, thanks for sharing that story.  Pretty incredible that you had so much contact with him.

It seemed like he played around the Bay Area all the time when he was first starting out.  I remember seeing his name with "Son of Tim Buckley" listed under it at tiny places like a pub in Berkeley called the Starry Plough.  I really kick myself for never making it to those, as they were probably similar to that "Live at Sin-e" record.  It would have been very cool to get to see him solo.

I'm not a big concert shirt buyer, but this conversation reminded me of this baby that I picked up at the Great American Music Hall show in '95.  Were you at that one, Jenny?

My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Jaimoe

Quote from: zanjam on Oct 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
I worked for Columbia Records in the early-mid 90's doing retail marketing for new and upcoming artists, and Jeff Buckley's Grace was a big one for us.  I met Jeff a few times and spent some time hanging out with him.  He even had a fling with my counterpart in Chicago (I was in SF).  He was as weird, introverted and tortured as you probably imagine he was.  He had a larger than life presence but was just so uncomfortable in his own skin (or so it seemed).  When he died, it was obviously a huge blow to everyone who had worked with him.  No one at Columbia believed that his drowning was an accident, although that's what the official statement was.  No one will really ever know, though.

Grace is til to this day one of my fave albums of all time.  Every single song holds up.  Jeff was one of the best vocalists to ever have lived, IMO.

Whippy we must have been at those SF shows together.  And you're right...everyone knew he was a star just waiting to be born.  It was actually a bit of a mystery why it was taking Grace so long to catch on.  Tons of critical acclaim but record sales did not reflect that.  His death was such a shame.  The world was robbed of what would have undoubtedly been magical music for years to come.

Cool Jenny! I love Jeff and I hear he was a tortured soul. I kinda think he got lost in the grunge shuffle during the 90s. For my money, he was on-par vocally with Freddie Mercury.

I had a correspondence going on with Jeff's Grace collaborator and guitarist Gary Lucas, geez, easily 5-6 years ago. I was writing a review of a new Gods and Monsters album. Anyway, Gary was a nice guy via our emails. I didn't ask him too much about Jeff since I was reviewing his album, although I wish I did.

e_wind