PonoMusic - My Morning Jacket Artist Edition

Started by wonderfulman, Mar 12, 2014, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

itrainmonkeys

Really wish I could afford this. I probably can't contribute for the device yet and I would probably have to slowly but surely re-build my catalog by buying a ton of stuff since I don't have a ton of high-quality audio already.

buymycar

Mr. White

Quote from: buymycar on Mar 30, 2014, 06:23 PM

Where was this picture? I check the fundraising progress and most of the comments/updates just about each day and still haven't seen any pictures other than the ones on the main page. I guess I'm just not looking in the right place. Could you give me some direction to the photo, buymycar? Thanks!

buymycar

It looks like it came from the Pono twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/pono

Is Patrick's autograph missing?

adastra

My High Rez music player has a platter and a needle.

Mr. White

This testimonial from My Morning Jacket is on the Pono Interweb site. It is a video on Vimeo, and their part starts at around 30 seconds into it. The video was recorded at Bonnaroo in 2011. You can find it at the ponomusic.com link when you scroll down to the testimonials and look for Jim's face with a "play" button over it.

http://www.ponomusic.com/

itrainmonkeys

Makes me sad that the number is so low.

I'd LOVE to have one of these but I just can't afford it right now. Just plunked down $500 for a root canal and $400 on car repairs so I'm pretty shot in terms of money. I'll be upset about missing out on an MMJ Limited one...especially if I end up getting a regular one down the line.

Of course....if anyone wants to gift me one I won't turn it down. My birthday is in November and I can pay you back in hugs and jokes. Haha, but seriously it's a shame that I'm going to likely miss out on this.  :cry:

Mr. White

Hey, itrainmonkeys. I'm right with you on just about not being able to afford the Pono Player. I've been having to help out my daughter and her family financially a lot recently, but I have a plan. I'm going to have a birthday in early September, and usually my parents just ask me to give them an idea of what to get, or they just give me money to get something I want. My wife usually does the same. I'll head off my brother with the same plan before he actually buys me anything and pool the money together to almost have enough to cover the $400 cost. I recently got my tax return, so that is where the money will come from until September. (The player won't be shipped out until October.)

Here is another interview with Neil about Pono.

http://radio.com/2014/04/11/neil-young-interview-pono/

GO4IT

Only 18 hrs left to get your MMJ Pono player and then they will never be sold again!

We're only up to 90 so 410 left to go.

Then again, the less they sell the more unique mine will be  :wink:

johnnYYac

I'm so very tempted, but it goes beyond the $400 cost of the player to the cost of the music that will make the player worthwhile.  I'll save for One Big Holiday II instead.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rincon2

Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 19, 2014, 06:37 PM
From All Songs Considered on NPR today.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/19/291130878/neil-young-wants-you-to-truly-hear-music

18 minute long video interview with Neil.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/03/19/291130878/neil-young-wants-you-to-truly-hear-music
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great option for anyone who has the inclination to upgrade everything just one more time, but I thought Neil came off as condescending and just another corporate con man. Was he complaining when everyone was listening to shitty 8 tracks, while less shitty cassettes were an option? He ridicules anyone who feels an mp3 whether listened via bluetooth,  good earphones, or any other mode, is  having a satisfying experience. That is like him walking onto a Toyota lot and telling someone buying a Camry that it sucks because it is not a Tesla. (I rode in one this week, the Camry does suck in comparison, but not the point.) When he pulled it out of his jacket pocket to prove it is pocket friendly I wanted to jump through the computer screen and slap his shaky ass. It is a purely luxury item in this phase.  MR. White, I am not insinuating you made a bad purchase by any means. I just resent his approach that implies I'm an idiot because I use an iPhone with a Bose bluetooth speaker. In over a year, not one person has failed  to be blown away by the sound. If Pono is better, great! There is always something better coming down the pike. But it does not have to be marketed by an icon telling you your a putz if you don't buy his product. (Next he will be telling parents who buy Thomas The Tank Engine toys they need to buy a Lionel train set because it is more realistic. He owns Lionel also.) I am not bias against Neil. I thought he was the reigning king of RNR. I do feel some of the newer bands have taken what he has laid the groundwork of, and actually improved on it. MMJ is only one example in my mind.

GO4IT

Quote from: rincon2 on Apr 15, 2014, 01:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great option for anyone who has the inclination to upgrade everything just one more time, but I thought Neil came off as condescending and just another corporate con man. Was he complaining when everyone was listening to shitty 8 tracks, while less shitty cassettes were an option? He ridicules anyone who feels an mp3 whether listened via bluetooth,  good earphones, or any other mode, is  having a satisfying experience. That is like him walking onto a Toyota lot and telling someone buying a Camry that it sucks because it is not a Tesla. (I rode in one this week, the Camry does suck in comparison, but not the point.) When he pulled it out of his jacket pocket to prove it is pocket friendly I wanted to jump through the computer screen and slap his shaky ass. It is a purely luxury item in this phase.  MR. White, I am not insinuating you made a bad purchase by any means. I just resent his approach that implies I'm an idiot because I use an iPhone with a Bose bluetooth speaker. In over a year, not one person has failed  to be blown away by the sound. If Pono is better, great! There is always something better coming down the pike. But it does not have to be marketed by an icon telling you your a putz if you don't buy his product. (Next he will be telling parents who buy Thomas The Tank Engine toys they need to buy a Lionel train set because it is more realistic. He owns Lionel also.)
Maybe you're having a bad day, but if you're labeling Neil as a "corporate con man" you no nothing about the man, his life and his passions.  I don't see him in this clip or anywhere else implying that you are an "idiot" or telling anyone that they are a "putz".  He's passionate about retaining as much of the music quality as possible in this digital age and making it convenient to access.  What is wrong with that, coming from an artist of his stature?  And in the price structure of smartphones and decent audio components, is $300 really that extravagant?  If you don't think it's worth it, no one is forcing you to buy it.
Certainly you can find more worthy targets of your animus these days.

LB

yea silly question but do they have these pono players in certain stores where I can sample them? Do y'all think any store would do this? kinda like best buy where you can sample headphones
no you never gotta fight with me

rincon2

Quote from: GO4IT on Apr 15, 2014, 10:21 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Apr 15, 2014, 01:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great option for anyone who has the inclination to upgrade everything just one more time, but I thought Neil came off as condescending and just another corporate con man. Was he complaining when everyone was listening to shitty 8 tracks, while less shitty cassettes were an option? He ridicules anyone who feels an mp3 whether listened via bluetooth,  good earphones, or any other mode, is  having a satisfying experience. That is like him walking onto a Toyota lot and telling someone buying a Camry that it sucks because it is not a Tesla. (I rode in one this week, the Camry does suck in comparison, but not the point.) When he pulled it out of his jacket pocket to prove it is pocket friendly I wanted to jump through the computer screen and slap his shaky ass. It is a purely luxury item in this phase.  MR. White, I am not insinuating you made a bad purchase by any means. I just resent his approach that implies I'm an idiot because I use an iPhone with a Bose bluetooth speaker. In over a year, not one person has failed  to be blown away by the sound. If Pono is better, great! There is always something better coming down the pike. But it does not have to be marketed by an icon telling you your a putz if you don't buy his product. (Next he will be telling parents who buy Thomas The Tank Engine toys they need to buy a Lionel train set because it is more realistic. He owns Lionel also.)
Maybe you're having a bad day, but if you're labeling Neil as a "corporate con man" you no nothing about the man, his life and his passions.  I don't see him in this clip or anywhere else implying that you are an "idiot" or telling anyone that they are a "putz".  He's passionate about retaining as much of the music quality as possible in this digital age and making it convenient to access.  What is wrong with that, coming from an artist of his stature?  And in the price structure of smartphones and decent audio components, is $300 really that extravagant?  If you don't think it's worth it, no one is forcing you to buy it.
Certainly you can find more worthy targets of your animus these days.
Not a bad day. You just must by anything your heroes say.First off it is $400 plus replacing all of your music with $20 replacements. Fine if you can afford it. He implies nothing short of listening to an album, or his system in a car is adequate, and he can't listen to an album. You did not pick up on his condescending approach to anything mp3 related? Road noise alone makes it relatively silly. For the home, sure. I thought he was a dick in his approach. You did not see his total dismissal of the interviewer when he stated the positive aspects of CD's or MP3s. I guess we disagree. I do know quite a bit about the man. A very long history of screwing his fans in concert. I have seen him 3 times. Once was the Weld tour, unbelievable. Also saw Trans and Greendale. I was prepared, but most fans were livid.

Mr. White

My Morning Jacket sold 96 out of the 500 that were available. It will come with 2 albums already pre-loaded to it that were selected by MMJ. Maybe one will be the new album! That would be really cool!

Mr. White

This Pono Player thing came along at just the right time for me. I think I'll enjoy having it. I hope I do.

rincon2

According to him I am stupid because I don't insist on having access to the highest quality player available. I am not hearing music, and my ears hurt, even though I don't feel any pain. If I got a Pono would Arc suddenly sound wonderful?

Fully

Trust me, no one thinks you are an idiot for not buying a Pono.