Anyone planning on attending Lollapalooza?

Started by pattilovesmmj, Mar 26, 2014, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pattilovesmmj

Some good bands playing Lolla - line up just announced

johnnYYac

Honestly, I put in three chances to win two 3-day passes in some contest and, upon seeing the lineup, I'm not that upset I didn't win.  There's probably enough to make the afternoons fun, but I'd skip most of the likely evening sets.  I'm starting to look at festival lineups from the bottom up.

That said, there is a lot of good stuff in there and downtown Chicago can be great!  Any luck getting tickets, Patti?  I hear they went FAST.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

pattilovesmmj

Hey John. My girlfriend and I had 3 computers going and it was a while before we could purchase them. I'm going for Broken Bells and Warpaint and I traded a Dooney & Burke purse for my ticket ($100.00). The line up isn't the greatest but I'm really happy I'm going

johnnYYac

Hey, I'm seeing Warpaint on Tuesday, right here in Iowa City.  Liking their new album.

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 27, 2014, 01:37 AM
Hey, I'm seeing Warpaint on Tuesday, right here in Iowa City.  Liking their new album.
Dang!!! Good for you.  I had a chance to see them in Santa Monica/West Hollywood back in October, but passed on the show.  So when I saw that they were playing Lolla I thought I should go.
Let me know how their show is ok?  I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

johnnYYac

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Mar 27, 2014, 10:59 AM
Dang!!! Good for you.  I had a chance to see them in Santa Monica/West Hollywood back in October, but passed on the show.  So when I saw that they were playing Lolla I thought I should go.
Will do!  I caught wind of them a couple of weeks ago, thanks to a Facebook post from forum member Ghosts_on_TV, found their newest on vinyl in the local record shop for a couple dollars less than anywhere else, then realized they were part of next week's Mission Creek Festival in IC.   

e_wind

This line up makes me nauseous. Has to be the worst headliners I've ever seen on a festival. In the top 4 lines, the act I would wanna see the most is literally Lorde. Nas and outkast are okay, but Jesus headliners are horrible.

However, once you get to line 5, the line up takes a major turn for the better. Broken Bells, THaTH, phantogram, cut/copy, Portugal the man, man orchestra, afi, j roddy, Phossy, white denim, temples, and PARQUET COURTS god damn. Those are just the artists Id wanna see that I'm familiar with. Still though, I need a strong headliner or two in order to deal with festivals of this size
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 27, 2014, 01:27 PM
This line up makes me nauseous. Has to be the worst headliners I've ever seen on a festival. In the top 4 lines, the act I would wanna see the most is literally Lorde. Nas and outkast are okay, but Jesus headliners are horrible.

However, once you get to line 5, the line up takes a major turn for the better. Broken Bells, THaTH, phantogram, cut/copy, Portugal the man, man orchestra, afi, j roddy, Phossy, white denim, temples, and PARQUET COURTS god damn. Those are just the artists Id wanna see that I'm familiar with. Still though, I need a strong headliner or two in order to deal with festivals of this size
Yeah, I've heard a lot of negative comments about the line-up.  But I - like you, liked the "smaller" bands playing.  Plus, this is my first Lolla experience!  I'm only attending the first day, but I've been told the whole experience is something to be behold!
We'll see.......... :drum:

johnnYYac

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Mar 27, 2014, 10:59 AM
Patti, here's what I posted on the Recent Shows thread:

Warpaint at Gabe's in Iowa City on April 1.  I love their albums, and they sounded pretty solid in person, but there was nothing compelling about them on stage.  It was a standing GA club, level floor, low stage, and lots of tall people.  I never actually saw the drummer or her kit.  Their stage presence was indifferent.  At one point, one of the vocalists said "It feels like a Friday night!" with her hands in the air.  I though to myself, "Nah, it feels like a Tuesday night to me..."  Still worth $15 and I picked up the latest LP on the way out.  I'll enjoy them from the comfort of home and my turntable...

That said, it may have been an off night and an off crowd.  They played a tight set with good sound, just not a visually enthralling live act, at least not Tuesday night.  I have to think a Lolla set will be an entirely different scene.  As I did on Tuesday, just close your eyes and sway... :cool:

pattilovesmmj

Hey John, :thumbsup:
Thanks for the heads up re Warpaint.  I'll be watching them/listening to them with an open mind and ears!
That being said, and since this is my first Lolla experience, I believe it should be a fun time.   :rolleyes:
I'll be hosting a young musician - a friend of my niece's who plays in a band in Ireland.
It's his first time as well...so I'm super stoked about that.  Cause you know, it's all about the music.