Main Menu

Yo La Tengo

Started by EverythingChanges, Apr 13, 2014, 07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

I'm just now discovering this trio.  I love it.

Yo La Tengo - Here To Fall - Don't Look Down
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Ob1jacobe

Fantastic Band!  Near perfect albums:  I can hear the heartbeating as one and painful .  I also really enjoyed last years Fade.

LMK what sticks out for you.

radiatortunes

Yeah, they're a great band. Electr-O-Pura is one of my favourite records. Ira's solo in this song is so good:

Yo La Tengo_Pablo & Andrea

EverythingChanges

Woah, beautiful solo.

I just bought And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out on vinyl.  I'm thinking about grabbing another one during RSD if my record store has a good selection.  I'm torn between Electr-O-Pura, Painful, and I Am Not Afraid Of You..  Any preferences between the three?

I wish I could get my hands on I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, but it seems to be out of print.  Autumn Sweater is fantastic.

EverythingChanges

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Apr 14, 2014, 10:42 AM
Fantastic Band!  Near perfect albums:  I can hear the heartbeating as one and painful .  I also really enjoyed last years Fade.

LMK what sticks out for you.

Fade is great.  It really goes to show how talented this band is if they can still release albums to that caliber.

radiatortunes

If you're looking for live recordings, NYCTaper is a fantastic source. I was lucky enough to catch YLT's set at Wilco's Solid Sound Fest last June - check it out here. (YLT also joined Wilco on stage on the Friday night - the all covers night - to play "Tom Courtenay". A definite highlight for me!)

http://www.nyctaper.com/?s=yo+la+tengo

LBSUNFLWR

Listen to "Night Falls on Hoboken" if you haven't yet.
That's my favorite song.
Last song on And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out. 17 plus minutes...

LBSUNFLWR

Got to see a pretty incredible show last year that was Calexico and Yo La Tengo.
Many songs played together. it was awesome!!

EverythingChanges

Night Falls On Hoboken is fantastic, one of the reasons I grabbed And Then Nothing on vinyl.

I would have loved to see Wilco and Yo La Tengo play together.  I feel like Yo La Tengo sounds like Wilco meets the  More/Meddle era of Pink Floyd.

I still need to fully digest each album as a whole, but I think this band just might have 5 albums or so of near perfection.  Not sure if that is me obsessing over them at the moment, or if that feeling will stay the same once I give each album enough time to really sink into my mind.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM
Night Falls On Hoboken is fantastic, one of the reasons I grabbed And Then Nothing on vinyl.

I would have loved to see Wilco and Yo La Tengo play together.  I feel like Yo La Tengo sounds like Wilco meets the  More/Meddle era of Pink Floyd.

I still need to fully digest each album as a whole, but I think this band just might have 5 albums or so of near perfection.  Not sure if that is me obsessing over them at the moment, or if that feeling will stay the same once I give each album enough time to really sink into my mind.

I have been a believer for years and these 5 still hold near perfection to this day:

Fakebook
Painful
Electr-O-Pura
I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 16, 2014, 01:57 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM

I have been a believer for years and these 5 still hold near perfection to this day:

Fakebook
Painful
Electr-O-Pura
I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass

What about And Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out?

EverythingChanges

Quote from: radiatortunes on Apr 15, 2014, 03:45 PM
If you're looking for live recordings, NYCTaper is a fantastic source. I was lucky enough to catch YLT's set at Wilco's Solid Sound Fest last June - check it out here. (YLT also joined Wilco on stage on the Friday night - the all covers night - to play "Tom Courtenay". A definite highlight for me!)

http://www.nyctaper.com/?s=yo+la+tengo

This is absolutely fantastic.  Thanks for the live music share.

radiatortunes

Hey, you're welcome!

I'm going to guess from your signature that you'll like the show below. Tweedy was playing in NYC so he was the opener for one of YLT's Hanukkah shows at Maxwell's the night before.

http://www.nyctaper.com/?s=Jeff+Tweedy

Virtusone

Due to the increasing of the unemployment rate, better education is not the only solution.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: radiatortunes on Apr 16, 2014, 09:28 PM
Hey, you're welcome!

I'm going to guess from your signature that you'll like the show below. Tweedy was playing in NYC so he was the opener for one of YLT's Hanukkah shows at Maxwell's the night before.

http://www.nyctaper.com/?s=Jeff+Tweedy

:thumbsup:

EverythingChanges

I now own And Then Nothing, Electro, Painful, and I Am Not Afraid on vinyl!

I just listened to And Then Nothing from start to finish. Amazing. I'll save the others for tomorrow. This is the band I have been searching for this whole year.

LBSUNFLWR

awesome!!
I like Summer Sun too!

EverythingChanges

I've been listening to these records on repeat.  I am in love with each one.  Ridiculous.  Even instrumental tracks like Tired Hippo hit a cord with me.  I dig it.

e-stone

now you must witness one of Ira's guitar freakouts in person.  unreal.

easily the most consistently great band of the last 20+ years.