Main Menu

Sturgill Simpson

Started by BigHerm, May 07, 2014, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

Quote from: parkervb on Feb 25, 2015, 03:32 PM
so incredibly bummed about the recent show cancellations. I hate that he & the band are sick, but to cancel the show and then announce the "make up" show is at a venue that is 10x the originals size is not cool IMO.  Not to mention, he's listed as the opener for OCMS at that date. 

It just seems like they took advantage of a bad situation to rebook at larger venues for more $$$.  I know a band's got a right to make a buck, doesn't mean I can't be bummed about missing them play a 350 seat venue.

well, looks like I will get to see Sturgill in Norfolk this year.  So stoked, it's not a tiny venue like the Broadberry but its a decent one that is about 1500.
Don't you ever turn it off

armando

Have some friends who flew out to see him and the Avetts at Red Rocks tonight.

Gotta say that Metamodern record is timeless. Been listening to again for the past couple of days and wow.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

parkervb

In an interview, Dave Cobb said Stu produced this solo. 

Love the organ sound he added on the last tour. Sounds great on this track.

Cameron

Nirvana cover should be interesting.

jimsflyingv

Looking forward to it the first song is amazing.....looking forward to the Nirvana cover as well

parkervb

First Listen

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/07/473237504/first-listen-sturgill-simpson-a-sailors-guide-to-earth

Love that he's stressing this is an full album and not allowing them to stream individual streams.

He's talked about writing this album for his son and as a new dad myself, the start of this album hit me right in the feels.

"hello my son, welcome to Earth. You may not be my last but you'll always be first. I wish I'd done this 10 years ago. But how could I know that the answer was so easy."

ALady

I love it a lot. There's a sweetness to this record that's really touching, but I love that it ends on a firebrand-y note.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 07, 2016, 10:25 AM
First Listen

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/07/473237504/first-listen-sturgill-simpson-a-sailors-guide-to-earth

Love that he's stressing this is an full album and not allowing them to stream individual streams.

He's talked about writing this album for his son and as a new dad myself, the start of this album hit me right in the feels.

"hello my son, welcome to Earth. You may not be my last but you'll always be first. I wish I'd done this 10 years ago. But how could I know that the answer was so easy."

Hell yea!
As a father... "Welcome to Earth" hits home.
Great song regardless. But I have three sons, and this song is on another level!

Gina

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 04, 2016, 10:47 AM

In an interview, Dave Cobb said Stu produced this solo. 

Love the organ sound he added on the last tour. Sounds great on this track.

Vinyl Me Please had this album in the member store this month.  I snatched it up.  I think I like the sound on this new release better than his last.  Good stuff. 

oistheone

Saw them last night and goddamn, what a band. The addition of horns, while on paper sounds kinda weird for a country band, takes them to an entirely new level. These guys fuckin' JAM! I saw the pared-down lineup last summer and thought it was the most psychedelic country I've ever heard. After last night's show, I can NOW say they are the most supremely soulful psychedelic country band I've ever seen. Sturgill is so fuckin' authentic. Makes a lot of other "country" or "soul" acts look like a goddamn joke. What a show.

parkervb

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 07, 2016, 12:28 PM
Saw them last night and goddamn, what a band. The addition of horns, while on paper sounds kinda weird for a country band, takes them to an entirely new level. These guys fuckin' JAM! I saw the pared-down lineup last summer and thought it was the most psychedelic country I've ever heard. After last night's show, I can NOW say they are the most supremely soulful psychedelic country band I've ever seen. Sturgill is so fuckin' authentic. Makes a lot of other "country" or "soul" acts look like a goddamn joke. What a show.

heck yea, saw him on that last tour as well when he had the keys and organ player. Seeing him again next month in C-ville. Can't wait.

Did they play the album straight through?

oistheone

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 09, 2016, 11:57 AM

heck yea, saw him on that last tour as well when he had the keys and organ player. Seeing him again next month in C-ville. Can't wait.

Keeping with Sturgill's wholly unique concert presence, he did all his 'hits' first and then ENDED the show with a complete performance of the new album. No encore. Baddddddass.

parkervb

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 10, 2016, 12:48 AM

Keeping with Sturgill's wholly unique concert presence, he did all his 'hits' first and then ENDED the show with a complete performance of the new album. No encore. Baddddddass.

that makes sense b/c Call to Arms has all the makings of a sick closer. thanks

Dillsnufus

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 10, 2016, 09:05 AM
Quote from: oistheone on Aug 10, 2016, 12:48 AM

that makes sense b/c Call to Arms has all the makings of a sick closer. thanks

indeed

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

parkervb

Bulldog

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 16, 2017, 12:30 PM
ummm, Stu and the band killed it on SNL:

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/01/16/510082047/watch-sturgill-simpson-and-his-11-piece-band-perform-on-saturday-night-live

I taped it and watched it the following day and WOW..... he destroyed that place, I need to see him next time he tours. Oh how I wish he was at OBH III (not that I'm complaining about the current lineup)

parkervb

So Sturgill continues to be the greatest thing in Nashville. He posted up outside the CMAs outside last night and streamed it, answered questions and played a few songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/watch-sturgill-simpson-busk-take-questions-outside-cmas-w511372

You can catch the stream here on his FB live https://www.facebook.com/sturgillsimpsonmusic/

Some hilarious moments like when he said Joe Rogan has that "mad scientist Cali weed", says he's listening to ELO and Run the Jewels. Also sounds like he's got grand ideas for his next album and sadly, he says he's sticking to his 5 album plan.

"The world would be a better place if Donald Trump smoked some DMT"

sillyboob

Quote from: parkervb on Nov 09, 2017, 08:53 AM
So Sturgill continues to be the greatest thing in Nashville. He posted up outside the CMAs outside last night and streamed it, answered questions and played a few songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/watch-sturgill-simpson-busk-take-questions-outside-cmas-w511372

You can catch the stream here on his FB live https://www.facebook.com/sturgillsimpsonmusic/

Some hilarious moments like when he said Joe Rogan has that "mad scientist Cali weed", says he's listening to ELO and Run the Jewels. Also sounds like he's got grand ideas for his next album and sadly, he says he's sticking to his 5 album plan.

That was the first I had heard of his 5 album plan.  What a bummer!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

parkervb

Quote from: sillyboob on Nov 09, 2017, 10:15 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Nov 09, 2017, 08:53 AM

That was the first I had heard of his 5 album plan.  What a bummer!

i first heard him mention it on the Joe Rogan Experience. He expands on it in the FB Live on how it's a narrative of a life journey of a human soul. He said Hightop was a past life, Metamodern was ethereal, the soul's journey, Sailor's Guide is about birth & life lessons, and his next album will be about life & sin and the last one about "returning to the light".

Sounds like he's doing more producing too

Cameron