The waterfall tracklisting

Started by MOWJO8185, Mar 02, 2015, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlwxanderD10

Here's a first look at a track outside the three we already know of via a new rolling stone article

The Waterfall finds the band veering from country-tinged folk ("Get the Point") to spacey soul-pop ("Compound Fracture") to heavy, majestic rock ("Big Decisions").

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/my-morning-jacket-detail-new-album-the-waterfall-plot-u-s-tour-20150303#ixzz3TMGoi6xN

WinstonLegthigh

johnnYYac

Quote from: Taterbug on Mar 03, 2015, 03:18 PM
The " Silence" track is the audio from the NFF staring contest  :cheesy:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

darkglow

so first off.. glad to hear some new news..  but i'm wondering which date is actually the release date? monday may 4 or tuesday may 5? i have read multiple sources that contradict...

justbcuzido

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 03, 2015, 06:16 PM
so first off.. glad to hear some new news..  but i'm wondering which date is actually the release date? monday may 4 or tuesday may 5? i have read multiple sources that contradict...

I'd go with 5/4, which the band announced this morning.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

EverythingChanges

I was hoping for some longer track times like the olds days, but I'm super excited to see a sort of theme emerging.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Jackets N Pones

Hoping for some tracks with strings on this album! Leaves the door open for more live shows backed with groups like Boston Pops, Louisville Youth Orchestra, Andrew Bird, etc.  :thumbsup:

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

mynameiscurt

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 03, 2015, 09:39 AM
Quote from: ditty on Mar 03, 2015, 09:36 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Mar 03, 2015, 09:33 AM
the tracklisting seems to indicate a theme or dare I say, concept.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58618-my-morning-jacket-announce-new-album-the-waterfall-share-big-decisions/

The Waterfall was recorded with Tucker Martine (who also worked on Circuital). In a press release, frontman Jim James talked about the album's themes:

"What fused this record is, I feel like it's a weird turning point for the universe. I feel like so many people I know are getting divorced or having kids. There's so much change going on and I feel like, for me, that one chapter has ended. And if you're looking at a book, there's a hand flipping the page up and it's in between the chapter you just finished and the one that's getting ready to start. That's kind of the sound of this record, and my life, the sound of the page turning and not being sure what's coming next."

thanks ditty.  This record comes about a week before my son will be born so I expect this album will be very special for me.

I didn't know it was a boy!!! And I talked to you as recently as this morning.  Forum spreading that news!!!! 

Lonndown27

im guessing the second disc is the bonus tracks? THIS IS SOOOOOOOO COOL  :cool:     ITS A YEAR FULL OF JACKETNESS :)
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

SplatSplatSplat

Quote from: BigHerm on Mar 03, 2015, 11:32 AM
Haven't seen this here but apparently I Can't Wait is a song they were playing around 2004? I've never heard it.

Yeah it's an older one for sure.  I heard it on a bootleg (or something) a long, long time ago.  Anyways, it's pretty special from what I remember -classic Jacket in the vein of Oxen.  I'm pretty excited that they actually recorded it and also a bit curious to see how if it has changed over the years.  If not, I'm totally okay with that too. 

So I guess I have to buy the deluxe Itunes version AND a vinyl. Closest vinyl package that includes those songs is like $90.  That's a bit too pricey for me. 
You need it.  That's for sure.

GO4IT

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 03, 2015, 05:46 PM

Did you really have to dredge this low point up at such a heady time :undecided:
I have about a 20 min video of this infamous event that I never posted on youtube in case you'd like to relive the moment. :grin:

Penny Lane

Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 03, 2015, 11:16 PM

Did you really have to dredge this low point up at such a heady time :undecided:
I have about a 20 min video of this infamous event that I never posted on youtube in case you'd like to relive the moment. :grin:

20 min of silence followed by 'you're an asshole!' -the infamous Mrs. Mahg33ta  :grin:
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Taterbug

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 04, 2015, 09:19 AM
Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 03, 2015, 11:16 PM

20 min of silence followed by 'you're an asshole!' -the infamous Mrs. Mahg33ta  :grin:

I loved hearing that story about Mrs. Mahg33ta,  I was gonna bring it up but I didn't wanna name names  :grin:   
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

marino13

Quote from: AlwxanderD10 on Mar 03, 2015, 03:55 PM
Here's a first look at a track outside the three we already know of via a new rolling stone article

The Waterfall finds the band veering from country-tinged folk ("Get the Point") to spacey soul-pop ("Compound Fracture") to heavy, majestic rock ("Big Decisions").

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/my-morning-jacket-detail-new-album-the-waterfall-plot-u-s-tour-20150303#ixzz3TMGoi6xN

I don't know that I would call "Big Decisions" "heavy, majestic rock".  I hope that doesn't mean it's the heaviest and majestic-est song on the album.  And the description of "Get The Point" has me thinking "Sec Walkin".  Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts. :undecided:

hflpjtrade

Hello can not wait for the new album big decisions is growing on me. Does anybody have a download of I Can't Wait? I have never heard it.

thanks

Lonndown27

yeah I Cant Wait sounds sick , id love to hear that
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

walrusteeth

I Cant Wait is a great song. I was hoping it would make it on It Still Moves...but Im glad to see it finally getting released..the best version Ive heard is on the wfpk live lunch from 12/20/2002. I recorded it on a minidisc back then..Ill have to try to find it. There are some great versions of Come Closer, I Will Sing You Songs and Steam Engine on that show too. Maybe the first public performances (of Steam Engine and I Will Sing)....I cant remember for sure. I know there are recordings out there.

walrusteeth

http://mmjtabs.mahgeetah.com/17%20I%20Cant%20wait.htm
Heres a link to the tabs and some lyrics..I think I remember an interview where Jim talked about the song being inspired by an old song called 8 miles to Louisville..I think Grandpa Jones from Hee Haw did it on one of his albums. I cant find the interview anymore..it may have been from an old interview in Scandinavia when they were so big there in the late 90s/early 2000s.

CHIMMJFAN

Quote from: walrusteeth on Mar 05, 2015, 12:34 AM
I Cant Wait is a great song. I was hoping it would make it on It Still Moves...but Im glad to see it finally getting released..the best version Ive heard is on the wfpk live lunch from 12/20/2002. I recorded it on a minidisc back then..Ill have to try to find it. There are some great versions of Come Closer, I Will Sing You Songs and Steam Engine on that show too. Maybe the first public performances (of Steam Engine and I Will Sing)....I cant remember for sure. I know there are recordings out there.

I feel as though I have searched for a good live version of "Come Closer" for so long. That is my white elephant at all the show I go to and I missed it during the Spontaneous tour by one show. Would love to hear that!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

kotchishm

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Mar 05, 2015, 01:43 AM
Quote from: walrusteeth on Mar 05, 2015, 12:34 AM

I feel as though I have searched for a good live version of "Come Closer" for so long. That is my white elephant at all the show I go to and I missed it during the Spontaneous tour by one show. Would love to hear that!

CHIMMJFAN

I found 2000. Would really like this 2002

https://archive.org/details/mmj2000-10-27.WFPK
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf