The waterfall tracklisting

Started by MOWJO8185, Mar 02, 2015, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

The release of what I hope to be a studio version of I Can't Wait kind of got lost in the shuffle of news.   This is great news!   Love that song.

I show in my records that it has been played 6 times (as always subject to missing setlists)

None of those shows are on archive, which almost seems more than a coincidence when you look at it as if Jim was planning on this day at some point.    However, there are recording available, with me remembering the Camden NJ version being my favorite.

20-Dec 2002   WFPK Studio   Louisville, KY   Live Lunch   Video Available
4-Feb 2003   Upstairs At The Garage   London, UK   Recording Available
20-Feb 2004   Pantages Theatre   Minneapolis, MN   Original MOF Tour   Recording Available
28-Feb 2004   Lupos at the Strand   Providence, RI      Original MOF Tour   Recording Available
8-Oct 2004   Ridglea Theatre   Fort Worth, TX   Original MOF Tour   NO Recording
23-Jul 2006   Camden Waterfront   Camden, NJ   WXPN All About The Music Fest   Recording Available

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

justbcuzido

Quote from: BH on Mar 05, 2015, 04:19 PM
Camden, NJ

http://we.tl/9WGkw5jscn

Thanks for this. I really love hearing these acoustic sets! Excited to hear I Can't Wait (just started my play through of the show)
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Stevie

Do you happen to have the full show?

johnnYYac

Quote from: Stevie on Mar 05, 2015, 05:28 PM
Uploading in progress.  Will post link below...

MMJ @ WFPK Live Lunch 2002-12-20

Steam Engine
X-mas Curtain
Evelyn Is Not Real
Just Because I Do
Come Closer
I Can't Wait
Rollin' Back
The Way That He Sings
Mahgeetah
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

CHIMMJFAN

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 05, 2015, 05:30 PM

Steam Engine
X-mas Curtain
Evelyn Is Not Real
Just Because I Do
Come Closer
I Can't Wait
Rollin' Back
The Way That He Sings
Mahgeetah

Well, damn that just made my night, to hear "Come Closer" in any live version, thanks for posting!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

FetusTree

Thank you thank you thank you for the live lunch what a set!... Crap I am on a phone and can't seem to get it to open is this a zip file or something?

sb_gli

thanks for this.  excited to hear how this song changes on the album.

Stevie

Yep, zip file. I think most phones have zip apps now though via whatever app store u have.

Stevie

Thanks, Johnny!  What a treat!

hflpjtrade

Thanks for posting great quality sounding show. Can not wait to hear studio version of I Can't Wait.

kotchishm

Steam Engine
X-mas Curtain
Evelyn Is Not Real
Just Because I Do
Come Closer
I Can't Wait
Rollin' Back
The Way That He Sings
Mahgeetah

Johnny you are the man!
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

timescaper

itrainmonkeys

Steam Engine
X-mas Curtain
Evelyn Is Not Real
Just Because I Do
Come Closer
I Can't Wait
Rollin' Back
The Way That He Sings
Mahgeetah

Awesome, thanks for this. Will be downloading later tonight when I'm home.

gardenparty

Thanks Johnny

I can't wait!   :wink:

mahg33ta

Quote from: Taterbug on Mar 04, 2015, 11:15 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 04, 2015, 09:19 AM
Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 03, 2015, 11:16 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 03, 2015, 05:46 PM
Quote from: Taterbug on Mar 03, 2015, 03:18 PM
The " Silence" track is the audio from the NFF staring contest  :cheesy:

Did you really have to dredge this low point up at such a heady time :undecided:
I have about a 20 min video of this infamous event that I never posted on youtube in case you'd like to relive the moment. :grin:

20 min of silence followed by 'you're an asshole!' -the infamous Mrs. Mahg33ta  :grin:

I loved hearing that story about Mrs. Mahg33ta,  I was gonna bring it up but I didn't wanna name names  :grin:

haha!  that's the only part of the story that makes the memory less painful!

Stevie

"I Cant Wait" is absolutely beautiful.  Im so very glad that they decided to release that.  I wonder if it will be a recent studio version, and old studio version, or an old live version. 

I love seeing these guys live and i love the energy they bring in a full band show, but for me nothing in the world compares to what Jim can do all by his lonesome with an accoustic guitar.  Ive always wondered why he doesnt do more of that.  I thought for sure when he announced his solo album that most of it would be accoustic.  Anyone have any insight as to why he never went that route? 

MusiKel Mama

Quote from: Stevie on Mar 11, 2015, 09:14 PM
"I Cant Wait" is absolutely beautiful.  Im so very glad that they decided to release that.  I wonder if it will be a recent studio version, and old studio version, or an old live version. 

I love seeing these guys live and i love the energy they bring in a full band show, but for me nothing in the world compares to what Jim can do all by his lonesome with an accoustic guitar.  Ive always wondered why he doesnt do more of that.  I thought for sure when he announced his solo album that most of it would be accoustic.  Anyone have any insight as to why he never went that route?

I think there are a few reasons...the first being the kind of creative limitations that doing a specifically acoustic album would entail. Based on what I have read about his process, he's not deliberately like, "i'm gonna make an album of slow songs".  I think that songs come to him as either instrumental increments, or some lyrics, and he kind of lets the songs decide where they want to go, solo or Jacket.  I think as things begin to build, themes and tonalities begin to work together, even if seemingly incongruous, in order to create the narrative of the album...and I think that is what we love about artists...is that fucking rare ability to trust their instincts with regard to the direction that their creative output will take in a given format. I'm pretty sure Moving Away and one other song were supposed to be on the solo record, but wound up on Circuital.  We may never know why, but that's where the spirits wanted it to go. And I think that reverence for the muse is something he honors.

But I think beyond approach, the themes in ROLASOG...man vs. himself, man vs. technology, etc. (emphasis on the vs.) seem to require a kind of jolt of electricity...the songs require that mysterious feedback...because they conjure up the images of your own hazy landscape...the magnetic Manichaeism that is the television fuzz inside your brain...each song possessing the power surge can't-tell static shock of either panic attack or just ate the best acid of your life or maybe both, but you know you just want to crawl into a giant bed and cover your head...and then there comes mid-album acoustic refuge "Exploding"...like Venetian gondolier sweeping you through dream canals faster than valium...and you are so thankful for the slow, sweet refuge, but then too you know that the fuzz is just refuge inside another dream anyway...

In my sleepy opinion, I think the acoustic guitar is like any vital organ...an extremely necessary component...but one that cannot thrive entirely on its own...

parkervb

Steven Hyden, who is a really great music writer, said the following in a blurb about Big Decisions:

My Morning Jacket is the defining band of modern Southern rock. The group's early-'00s run from 2001's At Dawn to 2005's Z set a template for dreamy psychedelia cut with experimental pop and (yes) old-school Southern-rock riffage emulated by countless other groups. In the past 10 years, MMJ wavered a bit as the band tried to remake its sound with mixed success. Stabs at funk and soul mostly fell flat on 2008's Evil Urges, and attempts to return to a bigger rock sound seemed like a reluctant capitulation to longtime fans. I haven't sorted out my feelings quite yet on MMJ's forthcoming LP, The Waterfall, though it is similar to 2011's Circuital in how it tries to reconcile the band's festival-rockin' past with frontman Jim James's need to push in more ethereal directions

https://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/songs-of-the-week-southern-rock-for-the-finally-thawing-spring/

I guess he's heard it,  but not sure what I make of his notes on the album.
Don't you ever turn it off