MMJ AMA starting in 67 minutes

Started by dontgetupset, Apr 14, 2015, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

I've seen reddit addiction first hand.. I had a friend that wouldn't even make it out of bed sometimes.. just clicking on reddit all day long from his laptop.  He told me after a while it wasn't really even fun anymore he just felt like he had to.  Granted, a guy with a very addictive personality.  Still scary stuff to witness. 

buymycar

Quote from: Stevie on Apr 14, 2015, 01:58 PM

- West Coast:  One of them said that they are currently working out a west coast tour leg that will happen before the next album comes out.

I'd get excited about this but nobody asked when the next album comes out.  :undecided:

MMJCOBRA

I've been put through the ringer quite a bit over the last month or so.  The quote from Jim that really spoke to me was:

thanks robert M it moves me to tears thinking of our music helping you thru those difficult times i have been in the hospital and fucked up quite a few times now and i know how much music has helped me thru those times when it seemed like all hope was gone. i am so happy to have helped you thru similar times with our music i wish you health and happiness and love always- i wish that to everyone here it really is so true the old addage your health is your wealth and boy you dont really know it til it is gone! so be glad for every day you can share a laugh with no pain and then when the pain comes try and remember that sometime in the future it will be gone and you will be laughing once again somewhere some place some time its true this is jim

and then.....

like i said before your health is your wealth and you really dont know that til you think it is gone. it helps me a lot to hear these stories having gone thru some pretty intense health stuff myself it helps me to remember that we are not alone cuz god sometimes when you are so fucked up it feels like you are so alone- even tho you may have the greatest friends and family you get all tweaked out and think that you are the only one- but that is just not true. everyone has some sort of suffering that they must deal with in this crazy world and we are so lucky to have each other so we should use it more and really try to talk to each other about the hard stuff and remember also that mental illness can be just as real as physical injury so that stuff needs to be talked about too out in the open with no shame everyone wishing and hoping for everyone else to get the help they need and get better soon. honored that a new life helped you thru that time in your life and that all is well now thanks this is jim

PS apparently I also learned that Jim hates punctuation and the shift key is missing from his keyboard.  He said his caps lock is hanging on for dear life...LOL

ditty

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/124704/10-Things-We-Learned-From-My-Morning-Jacket-Ask-Me-Anything

Yesterday My Morning Jacket participated in a Reddit Ask Me Anything session in which the band responded to questions posed on the popular web forum. Frontman Jim James, guitarist Tom Blankenship, drummer Patrick Hallahan, bassist Bo Koster and guitarist Carl Broemel took turns answering questions about the band's upcoming new album, The Waterfall, which comes out on ATO Records on May 4, as well as other topics including their touring practice, live shows and much more. We've put together a list of 10 things we learned from MMJ's AMA.

1. The band was asked about the recent leak of their upcoming album, The Waterfall, and Jim James' response toed the line between being pro- or anti- leaks.

James' lengthy response included a dissection of the ramifications streaming services have on artists' careers, without ever fully landing on either side of the sticky issue. He summed his feeling up by writing, " ... it makes me happy that people with no money can now stream everything for free. that is pretty sweet because music is for everyone and music should be free and easy blowin in the breeze BUT BUT BUT it does cost a lot of money to make music and musicians are hard working people just like a plumber or an electrician you can download and steal(yet) the pipes you need for your toilet so you shouldnt steal from hard working musicians either who are also just trying to put food on the table and keep the lights on." [sic]

2. Just before making available live recordings of their 2015 One Big Holiday run, they mentioned a second live Okonokos album might be in the works.

A question about the band's live evolution garnered a response that revealed MMJ "want to put out pt2."

3. More discussion about the band's diversity in the live setting prompted responses about MMJ's tendency to improvise on stage.

Hallahan explained some songs like "Dondante" have space built in for improvisational exploration, while other moments happen spontaneously spurred by someone in the band playing something out of the ordinary. James added that communication among the band members is the key to successful musical exploration.

4. Sticking with inquiries regarding their live performances some of their favorite venues to play were revealed.

Hallahan mentioned Red Rocks, 40 Watt. Paradiso. and Madison Square Garden among his favorite spots to play. Blankenship seconded the Red Rocks sentiment while adding an affinity for The Gorge in Washington state.

5. Another question asked about the band's pre-show routine, for which James detailed a variety of common practices.

James described meditating, stretching and praying to "to the universe and the spirits in the ground and in the air and in the water of where we are playing at that moment in time."

6. In response to a two-part question, Hallahan explained the band's preference for multi- night stands and their approach to setlist writing.

"Multi-night runs have become a great love of ours in the last few years," Hallahan wrote. "It really gives us a chance to expand...a larger platform from which to soar." He added, "We're having a great time not repeating any songs on these multi-night runs. Diving deeper and deeper into the catalogue as been amazing, and on a very emotional level."

7. If you were curious how to describe MMJ's sound to the uniformed, Koster was helpful in explaining how he describes the band's style.

He listed the genres "rock, pop, psychedelic, soul, country funk, jazz, electronic, hip hop" before advising "rock n Roll" is probably best.

8. Despite its title and lyrical content, "Wonderful" came out of a difficult time in James' life.

The question posed asked what made James feel "so wonderful" and his response shed light on the fact that he wrote the song in response to being at low point in his life while dealing with sickness and used the song as inspiration to lift him out of the rut he was in. 

9. Two questions about their upcoming tour dates revealed the band is still working on adding additional concerts to their schedule.

Hallahan mentioned they intend to tour hard in support of the new album, hitting cities that have special meaning to the band as well as new towns they've not been to yet. Blankenship added that the band will hit up the West Coast "BEFORE the next album comes out" which could still be a while.

10. Blankenship revealed which album the band had previously pondered covering in its entirety.

"Many moons ago" the band explored covering the whole first Black Sabbath LP.
100204 102305 112506 80711 71412 7050613 OBH14151718 6232415 71815 5121316 52616 62217 81017 8020319

tippitoes22

Quote from: robb on Apr 14, 2015, 02:50 PM
Herm knows the drill.

Also, I loved this AMA but I'm kinda sad Carl killed the cortez dream.

I'm trying to read this reddit interview, with binoculars and a decoder ring. Geez that's a jumbled, hot mess of a website. And after a migraine, and ocular surgery(Exaggerating for effect) I still can't seem to find the part about where Carl "killed the Cortez dream" Could somebody explain to me where they read that in the "interview"? The curiosity is makin me, like a pirate with a stearing wheel in my pants...ARRGH, Drivin' me nuts :)

Please & Thank

P.S. Carl Rules...Go Team Carl!!!
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

CountSA

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Apr 27, 2015, 08:40 PM
Quote from: robb on Apr 14, 2015, 02:50 PM
Herm knows the drill.

Also, I loved this AMA but I'm kinda sad Carl killed the cortez dream.

I'm trying to read this reddit interview, with binoculars and a decoder ring. Geez that's a jumbled, hot mess of a website. And after a migraine, and ocular surgery(Exaggerating for effect) I still can't seem to find the part about where Carl "killed the Cortez dream" Could somebody explain to me where they read that in the "interview"? The curiosity is makin me, like a pirate with a stearing wheel in my pants...ARRGH, Drivin' me nuts :)

Please & Thank

P.S. Carl Rules...Go Team Carl!!!

we love neil young but that song seems like one that should be left untouched for the moment! carl

tippitoes22

Thanks! Couldn't find that question or answer.  :beer:
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him