Red Rocks - August 14

Started by e_wind, Mar 03, 2015, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek713

Quote from: gluvmiller on Mar 06, 2015, 11:37 AM
For those asking about a shuttle to and from red rocks, here is what has been by far the most recommended by my friends around here:

http://bustoshow.org/

Also, if you want your own shuttle which we can certainly organize here in forum a shuttle roll call. My friend Brad runs his own shuttle business but you have to reserve the whole shuttle. He said he has an option to incorporate private dispensary tours.

Thanks for the info!

I have never been to Red Rocks and was also curious about the seating. I was going to try for general admission and hope to get up close. I see that gates open 1.5 hours before the show and will call will open 2 hours before. Is there typically a long line waiting for gates to open? I didn't know if I should get the general admission, or not risk it and get reserved.

Frank G

Quote from: Derek713 on Mar 09, 2015, 09:34 AM
For those asking about a shuttle to and from red rocks, here is what has been by far the most recommended by my friends around here:

Also, if you want your own shuttle which we can certainly organize here in forum a shuttle roll call. My friend Brad runs his own shuttle business but you have to reserve the whole shuttle. He said he has an option to incorporate private dispensary tours.

Thanks for the info!

I have never been to Red Rocks and was also curious about the seating. I was going to try for general admission and hope to get up close. I see that gates open 1.5 hours before the show and will call will open 2 hours before. Is there typically a long line waiting for gates to open? I didn't know if I should get the general admission, or not risk it and get reserved.

Hope you got reserved.  I did, row 26 which is the 2nd row of reserved.  the first 24 are GA and you fight for your seat.  just try to get in with some cool peeps as people get pretty agro.  and there will be a line SEVERAL hours before the gate opens.  it's a bit of a nightmare but if that's your deal, worth it.  with reserved you can always go down unless they have wrist bands which is doubtful. 

good luck.
If it would have been easy, I would not have cared.

jwb

I also had a question about GA. I see that the very front is GA along with the very back. Is it just first come first served about getting in the front section? I'm going to have the laminate so I'm not too worried but I'm just curious.

joe v

Thanks for the info!

GA is the best way to go. Reserved seating doesn't start till the 26 th row, which at Red Rocks is like being 40+ rows away. If its windy(good chance there) the sound doesn't sound well further back & on the sides.
My Perfect Day = Snowboarding on a powder day in the trees & listening to my favorite music.

gf205

Also have quesitons about GA.  I didn't check the seating chart so just assumed GA would be a pit section up front.  Any early entry or anything for Roll Call members? There's a chance we might be in the very back even if we bought from Roll Call?

Stevie

As long as you show up before early entry gets let in, no, there's no way you'll get stuck in the back.

I couldn't disagree more about GA being a "nightmare," I actually really enjoyed the whole experience.  I think we got there 2 hours before the doors opened and ended up in like row 6.  Now, i will say, they have a strange way of performing the entry.  They get all the roll call early entry people in a line at first, then you are herded into a rectangular corridor that goes uphill.  THen you are stopped by another gate for about a half hour, and then once they open that gate, the line is about 7 people thick and however long.. once the gate opens people pretty much book it for the seats.  I mean, some will all out sprint.  However, even if you are not able to run or simply decide not to, you will still end up with a great seat. 

I also second the notion that row 26 is like row 40.  You really don't want to be that high up. 

Derek713

Quote from: Frank G on Mar 09, 2015, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the info!

Hope you got reserved.  I did, row 26 which is the 2nd row of reserved.  the first 24 are GA and you fight for your seat.  just try to get in with some cool peeps as people get pretty agro.  and there will be a line SEVERAL hours before the gate opens.  it's a bit of a nightmare but if that's your deal, worth it.  with reserved you can always go down unless they have wrist bands which is doubtful. 

good luck.

I decided to play it safe and got reserved. I ended up with row 28. I figured I would be less stressed about getting in and figured I could always move down into GA if so desired. Plus, now I don't have to convince my wife to get there 3 hours ahead. Happy wife...happy life :)

CHIMMJFAN

As of now I have 2 GA tickets that were taken out of my paypal account that are not showing up in my Roll Call Account. I contact Wonderful Union and they don't understand what is going on. They took my info and are supposed to call me back to let me know.

So I guess I may/may not have tickets?

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

dmmjb

this will be my first time at red rocks....flying in from jersey for the show...super pumped for it.
with the presale, i wanted to go for reserved for the show, just cause i hate dealing with the sea of people fighting for positioning with GA...but the reserved seats were all gone so not wanting to get shutout altogether i went with GA...

i'd much rather be in a reserved section i think but it is what it is at this point.

overall, how big is red rocks?  is sitting in the GA area up top THAT bad?

Mcam55

Anyone have any hotel recommendations? Dont need to be too close to the venue, would rather be near some good bars/nightlife.

Santo

Quote from: dmmjb on Mar 09, 2015, 01:02 PM
this will be my first time at red rocks....flying in from jersey for the show...super pumped for it.
with the presale, i wanted to go for reserved for the show, just cause i hate dealing with the sea of people fighting for positioning with GA...but the reserved seats were all gone so not wanting to get shutout altogether i went with GA...

i'd much rather be in a reserved section i think but it is what it is at this point.

overall, how big is red rocks?
Its big. If I remember correctly, it seats about 10,000 and there is comfortable spacing.

is sitting in the GA area up top THAT bad?
Absolutely not. A couple of us were nursing some pretty serious hangovers for night two of the 2012 shows. We decided to hang out at the top and stay out of the crowds. Had a blast, but it was a calm night and we wanted to be there. Obviously, closer is better, but I've always enjoyed the views from the higher rows, even when it gets dark.  Here is a picture the worst case scenario.

Also, you are not guaranteed to be avoid the GA push in the reserved sections. Red Rocks crowds are always fun, but there are always yahoos.  More often than not, we've had to argue with folks with GA tickets about our reserved seats. One time we had to kick 15+ people out of our two seats.

Stevie

LOL... there's no "sea" of GA folks to fight with.  if this were Port Chester or something i would agree with you.. i can't stand the GA floor because you leave to go to the bathroom one time and now you gotta fight for your life, endure cold stares from people who don't understand why you are trying to get in front of them, just to be back to the spot that you stood in line for 6 hours to get and that's IF your group was good about keeping the spacing right.. More likely than not someone has wedged their way in and now you are left with about half the real estate. 

Reason why Red Rocks GA is the best GA in the biz:

1.  It encompasses the first 25 rows which are the very best site lines and are optimum for sound quality.
2.  The first row and stage are on roughly the same level, and then slopes up so whether you are in row 1 or 20, you get a great view.  If you are short, then you still have a good shot at seeing over people.
3.  Each row (step) is wide enough (front to back) to easily fit two people.  However, it is commonly understood that once you claim your spot on that row (step), the space in front of you is also yours, leaving you a very substantial amount of room to move if you are the dancing type.  If you can only find one spot, and happen to be with your sig other, no problem..  The shorter one can simply go in front of the other and there is still plenty of room. 
3A.  Also having to do with row (step) width, if you need to go get beer or use the rest room, you will find it VERY easy to simply walk past people on the extra 3-4 feet of space that people aren't standing on in front of them. 
4.  Tailgating:  The early entry GA lot (yes, we get our own parking lot) will be full of people partying well before the show starts.  Instead of standing in a line by a concrete wall, you've got the mountains in the distance and you have the luxury of lawn chairs and coolers which you can return to your car when they let you know that it's almost time to walk in.
5.  Community:  we all tailgate together, we walk in together, we form bonds of varying shelf-lives, so while we are in the show we look out for each others' spots, fending off the GA drifters.  They will come, sometimes..  some not understanding why they can't occupy the space in front of you, but polite explanation will have them out of your hair very quickly.. also, the security is very adamant about the first come first serve thing so if someone is giving you a hard time you have backup.. i don't think i ever encountered this, though.

GA really does not get any better than Red Rocks to be quite honest. 

dmmjb

thanks for the feedback!
i've seen a bunch of shows, i've been up front a lot, i've been in the back a lot...and everywhere in between...i'm at the point in my life where i just want to be comfortable and enjoy the music.  being upfront would be ideal, but to me just seeing this awesome venue for the first time and hearing my favorite band will be more than enough.

Stevie

really want to hammer home one point.  security is very good and very helpful, so there is never a reason to get mean spirited with someone who doesn't understand the layout.. sure they should have done their homework but in an effort to avoid a fight or altercation that could ruin your experience or those of the people around you, keep a cool head and kindly refer them to even security if they don't believe you. 

Stevie

Quote from: dmmjb on Mar 09, 2015, 02:02 PM
thanks for the feedback!
i've seen a bunch of shows, i've been up front a lot, i've been in the back a lot...and everywhere in between...i'm at the point in my life where i just want to be comfortable and enjoy the music.  being upfront would be ideal, but to me just seeing this awesome venue for the first time and hearing my favorite band will be more than enough.

yeah, i'm right there with you when it comes to most GA shows.  if the floor is all GA i'd rather have the balcony.  love the balcony.

dmmjb

Quote from: Stevie on Mar 09, 2015, 02:00 PM

LOL... there's no "sea" of GA folks to fight with.  if this were Port Chester or something i would agree with you.. i can't stand the GA floor because you leave to go to the bathroom one time and now you gotta fight for your life, endure cold stares from people who don't understand why you are trying to get in front of them, just to be back to the spot that you stood in line for 6 hours to get and that's IF your group was good about keeping the spacing right.. More likely than not someone has wedged their way in and now you are left with about half the real estate. 

Reason why Red Rocks GA is the best GA in the biz:

1.  It encompasses the first 25 rows which are the very best site lines and are optimum for sound quality.
2.  The first row and stage are on roughly the same level, and then slopes up so whether you are in row 1 or 20, you get a great view.  If you are short, then you still have a good shot at seeing over people.
3.  Each row (step) is wide enough (front to back) to easily fit two people.  However, it is commonly understood that once you claim your spot on that row (step), the space in front of you is also yours, leaving you a very substantial amount of room to move if you are the dancing type.  If you can only find one spot, and happen to be with your sig other, no problem..  The shorter one can simply go in front of the other and there is still plenty of room. 
3A.  Also having to do with row (step) width, if you need to go get beer or use the rest room, you will find it VERY easy to simply walk past people on the extra 3-4 feet of space that people aren't standing on in front of them. 
4.  Tailgating:  The early entry GA lot (yes, we get our own parking lot) will be full of people partying well before the show starts.  Instead of standing in a line by a concrete wall, you've got the mountains in the distance and you have the luxury of lawn chairs and coolers which you can return to your car when they let you know that it's almost time to walk in.
5.  Community:  we all tailgate together, we walk in together, we form bonds of varying shelf-lives, so while we are in the show we look out for each others' spots, fending off the GA drifters.  They will come, sometimes..  some not understanding why they can't occupy the space in front of you, but polite explanation will have them out of your hair very quickly.. also, the security is very adamant about the first come first serve thing so if someone is giving you a hard time you have backup.. i don't think i ever encountered this, though.

GA really does not get any better than Red Rocks to be quite honest.

nice.  i think i'm just used to the nyc chaos and it really turns me off.  it's cool that GA folks get their own lot for tailgating...and even cooler about the respect that everyone has down in GA.  can't wait for an awesome show!

eagerOwl

How much are the reserved tickets?
At the end of the day, everyone wants the same thing.

MMJCO

Are pre-sale tix for this show sold out already, or is it just me?  First time trying for Roll Call tix and want to be sure I'm not giving up too easily - like is there any chance they'll release more?
Thanks!

Derek713

Quote from: MMJCO on Mar 09, 2015, 03:31 PM
Are pre-sale tix for this show sold out already, or is it just me?  First time trying for Roll Call tix and want to be sure I'm not giving up too easily - like is there any chance they'll release more?
Thanks!

The pre-sale is sold out, but the public on sale starts 3/13/15.

Woldie

Does anyone who has been there know if there is safe bicycle parking?
"The owls are not what they seem."