XPN Fest Philly/Camden NJ

Started by subinai, Mar 16, 2015, 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Quote from: btcs41 on Jul 28, 2015, 12:02 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jul 28, 2015, 11:17 AM
The Camden poster was on the merch list but never delivered. I checked several times to see if they showed up but no such luck. One of the vendors showed me the merch list with all the items listed, and posters were on it.

Whether they were actually made is anyone's guess but I would think if they were on the list to be sold they're most likely out there somewhere.

I'll be keeping my eyes out for them showing up someplace, maybe even at other shows or in the Roll Call store here. Fingers crossed...... :beer:

I asked the merch peeps while they were setting up.  One was quite friendly and explained how the set up happens.  She said the same thing--posters were on the pick list, but "never got delivered with the other items".   Crossing fingers as well...

Someone did manage to snag one of these, and give it to me.  :cool: It's a biggie...32"x40" printed on a pretty thick glossy photography paper. If the show posters never turn up, I'm glad to have this one to add to my collection, and keep my show poster streak alive.  :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/MOncaqI.jpg
"Where's Jim going?"

TheYimAbides

I just wanted to chime in about this show as well. I have only seen MMJ once before, and that was when they played a one-hour opening set for Tom Petty back in 2010 (and stole the show as far as I'm concerned). My wife and I have since gotten into the band in a much bigger way and we were psyched to have the chance to see them headline on Saturday night.

I was sitting (well, standing, really) in the 100-level, off to Carl's side a bit, a few rows back. Off the Record is my wife's absolute favorite song, so it was a great way to start the show for us. I was very happy for her! And then the music, and the jams, and everything, just kept coming. I was amazed at Carl's sax playing -something I just hadn't really thought about before the show.  They all just have great presence and energy, and Jim is a terrific frontman. I thought Victory Dance was a standout, but it is hard to pick any of the songs over the others, really.

The key word that everyone keeps mentioning is "energy." This show had that in spades. As someone else said, it definitely got me more stoked for seeing them at the Beacon in November.

And damn my legs and feet were sore the until sometime Monday afternoon!

Long live the hippo!

Dangles

I took my little brother to the show, a much more casual fan than me when it comes to MMJ. He was blown away and remarked that they are a band everyone should see (at least) once. He described Jim's stage presence as a cross between Eddie Vedder and Jerry Garcia, got a kick out of that.

Really fun show. Glad I got to cross Master Plan off the list. I also can't wait for the Beacon where I will expose a few more first timers to MMJ.

Jenfarr

Quote from: dexter on Jul 27, 2015, 07:21 PM
Something else that was a treat was being front row reserved. (Thanks again mmj presale) Everyone is doing all GA in the front these days so to be able to watch a show from there without having a hundred people pressed up against you and be able to leisurely stroll to your seats was awesome. I was pretty centered and I gotta say it was a little weird being that close bc st Vincent was right in front of me.  You almost don't know where to look all show bc you don't want to seem like a fanboy/stalker/weirdo trying to stare into a strangers eyes.  But if you say look 1 to 2 feet lower down, you don't want them to think you're staring somewhere else especially since it's a woman in a crazy mesh skintight catsuit. So you just kinda look a diff spot every 3 seconds. Weird to explain I guess but glad I didn't have to worry (maybe worry a bit strong a word here) about this with mmj as they split the uprights w each guy flanked to the side.

My buddy I went with had tweeted first light for spontaneous combustion so who knows if that had anything to do with it or that was just a coincidence. Either way we were pumped.  Still can't believe the way they started and the jams we got. Just pure rock n roll. Can't wait to re listen. cant wait for November. I thought they were tight Saturday, they're gonna slay it then.

Anyone here a huge st Vincent fan? She's awesome and I've seen her live a few times but don't know super in depth her live shows. I swear in the middle to late middle at the end of a song she sang "someone to hear your prayers, someone who care" from depeche mode's personal Jesus. Is that something she always does on that particular song or she just throwing it out there?  Also a song where she came down from her blocks I think they forgot to turn her mic on so she sang the first verse w no sound, twirled around and started over.

My husband and I must have been right near you, as we were in Pit P1 between Carl and Tom.  I usually don't do GA/rail and only bought these at the XPN pre-sale because they were "seats", i.e. personal space, and the security guys running the front row were great.  Made the experience so cool, but you are right I never know where to look!

As for St. Vincent, she was very cool.  But when I heard those Depeche Mode lyrics I thought she was covering that song!

stillwater

My wife and I were on the rail right in front of Carl as well. I still haven't quite gotten over this show yet. Im not sure I will ever have quite this experience again.  Like Dex mentioned, to have front row without having to camp out for hours and be uncomfortable is incredible.

I was going f'n nuts the whole show.  My calves still hurt.  Great work by the front few rows, though I did notice a big group in like row 4 and 5 on Carl's side were sitting for the 2nd half of the show.  Baffling.

stillwater

Also- still pissed about the lack of a poster.  Hopefully it pops up somewhere.

dexter

Ok cool I'm not crazy on the depeche mode lyrics. Dying to know if that was a one off or the standard for whatever song it was.  I saw the 4 or so people in the 2nd or 3rd row Carl side sitting. To each their own, I guess some people were locals and more just going because it was a "thing to do" who knows.  And yeah the guy running the front row was great, kept it very chill and did his job without being a total goon. It really was an A+ night and still feel so lucky. My buddy that got the set list just told me it said June 13 as the date which is odd. There's no way they planned it 6 weeks in advance right?

CC

Quote from: dexter on Jul 29, 2015, 06:23 AM
Ok cool I'm not crazy on the depeche mode lyrics. Dying to know if that was a one off or the standard for whatever song it was. 

yeah that depeche mode nod has been a regular thing
song: Every Tear Disappears

dexter

Quote from: CC Baxter on Jul 29, 2015, 06:48 AM
Quote from: dexter on Jul 29, 2015, 06:23 AM
Ok cool I'm not crazy on the depeche mode lyrics. Dying to know if that was a one off or the standard for whatever song it was. 

yeah that depeche mode nod has been a regular thing
song: Every Tear Disappears

closure!  thank you...

dookie shoot bandit

Does say June 13th... Weird

dookie shoot bandit

Pooch Jr. Takes a ride to Camden and Maryland Shows...

Jenfarr

I got a setlist with the June 13th date too.  I think it may just be a "cute and paste" of the title error, as they played Bonnaroo that date and the setlist was much different.

Raine_Cloud

This was my first MMJ show and I was not disappointed!! Halfway through Wordless Chorus, with everyone belting out each note in unison, I felt so connected. It was an incredible feeling to be surrounded by people who truly share an appreciation for this music. When they finished and the crowd spilled onto the streets, it was almost completely silent, hushed. Everyone's ears happy and souls satisfied, it was an unforgettable night.

LibrarianGrrrl

Quote from: Raine_Cloud on Aug 12, 2015, 01:47 AM
This was my first MMJ show and I was not disappointed!! Halfway through Wordless Chorus, with everyone belting out each note in unison, I felt so connected. It was an incredible feeling to be surrounded by people who truly share an appreciation for this music. When they finished and the crowd spilled onto the streets, it was almost completely silent, hushed. Everyone's ears happy and souls satisfied, it was an unforgettable night.

Ahhh, welcome! Hopefully there are many more shows in your future. Every time I see them they continue to blow my mind like they did that very first time.
"I shut my eyes and the music broke over me like a rain storm." - Sylvia Plath