Wilco cancels 5-7 Indianapolis show

Started by rincon2, Apr 01, 2015, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Due to the religious freedom law recently passed. Not sure I agree with this, particularly because the mayor of Indianapolis has come out against the state law, and says his city is going to continue to protect the rights of all. It seems like simple bumper sticker politics on Wilco's part, and the only real victims are Wilco fans in Indiana.

parkervb

so I guess there won't be playing any of the other 20 states with RFRA laws on the books. 

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/state-rfra-statutes.aspx

I think they would have been better served by making a statement and possibly donating a portion of the gate to a LGBT charity or non-profit. 
Don't you ever turn it off

e_wind

From the very little I've read about the laws, apparently Indians is special in that is denies citizens right to take legal action against business's in every instance. regardless... I think canceling that show is making a statement because its the state in the spotlight right now.

that was one of the shows I had tickets to, and I'm not mad.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

slappymoe

it sucks for fans in indy, but it means they'll be fresh and well-rested for the next nite in louisville. :thumbsup:

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: slappymoe on Apr 01, 2015, 12:00 PM
it sucks for fans in indy, but it means they'll be fresh and well-rested for the next nite in louisville. :thumbsup:

I'll take it! :)
got good pavilion seats at Iroquois, can't wait!

EverythingChanges

I'm glad they are standing up against this bill. It's crazy, and no it's not like the other bills. It can actually allow blatant discrimination to the LGBT community. Pence is just upset that LGBT people can finally marry in Indiana. This was just a backlash from that. And it was reckless.

Looks like Wilco management is giving me a hand with good seats at Lousiville too. I'll take it.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Horace Hucker

Another possible response is what John Mulaney is doing for his comedy show in Indy this month. All of his money earned from the show is going to a LGBTQ legal group. Live Nation then followed that up saying they'll make sure the rest of the money (that wasn't part of Mulaney's cut) goes to the group as well. He also noted he wouldn't be staying at an Indiana hotel on his stop there.

parkervb

I guess the show is back on:

We consider the changes to Indiana's RFRA a good first step toward creating the sort of welcoming environment we encourage everywhere, so we're reinstating our May 7 show at The Murat, which we canceled earlier this week. To quote an Indiana University statement from yesterday, "religious liberty and equal protection under the law are both cornerstones of our democracy and they should not be in conflict with each other." Well said, IU.
Now for the practical stuff: Tickets purchased through Ticketmaster or The Murat are still valid. If you purchased your ticket during the Wilcoworld pre-sale, you will be contacted directly regarding repurchase. If your plans have changed for whatever reason or if you no longer want to attend the show, refunds are available at your point of purchase.
We've been putting on shows with our neighbors in Indiana for more than 20 years and are happy to continue that at the Murat in May. We'll also donate a portion of the proceeds from this show to organizations fighting to build on the progress we hope this change makes in Indiana and beyond. More details soon.
Love, Wilco
Don't you ever turn it off

EverythingChanges

I cancelled the Louisville tickets, since this show is back on.  Here's to hoping that it will be a great show, and the people who are upset with Wilco will stay home.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck