Main Menu

New Madrid

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 05, 2015, 01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Remind me to tell you about New Madrid.  They were really great, opening for Diamond Rugs in Iowa City tonight. 

Turns out they're playing MMJ's afterparty following their show in Atlanta in early August.  Great band, good guys!  Check 'em out, and their current album Sunswimmer.

http://www.newmadridband.com/
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Come Closer

Loved Yardboat, wasn't as enthralled with Sunswimmer.

johnnYYac

I'm absorbing their recordings today, but they put on a great show last night.  They just struck a chord with me.  Yardboat is only available as an mp3 album on Amazon; no vinyl or CD that I can find anywhere, including from the band last night. 

They are excited to be playing for MMJ in August.  I wish them success!

Some video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VHowVHyGzg#t=375

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesDRaLQ06M#t=253

NEW MADRID - "Dead Legs" (Live in Atlanta, GA 2014) #JAMINTHEVAN

davymac

Love these dudes!  They have an awesome sound!  Glad to see they are getting their name out there. 

davymac

They also have an EP out there called Ghosts & Fire.  Definitely need to check that out as well.

ruralt

Came across these guys like a year ago scouring Google for "psychedelic americana" or something like that. Love both of their albums. Want to see them live but couldn't go last time they rolled through town, unfortunately. I really dig the way Graham Powers plays. Hope they keep getting exposure. They deserve it.

werduga

I'm a huge New Madrid fan!  Ive seen then quiite a few times in Atlanta and should see them Soon at Athfest in a few weeks. None of their albums compare to their live sounds, so check them out if you can. They did put out a live RSD album called "Dawn Teeth" recored by David Barbe during some 2014 west coast dates. How does one go to to the "after party" for the Atlanta shows...?

e-stone

Quote from: werduga on Jun 09, 2015, 12:33 AM
They did put out a live RSD album called "Dawn Teeth" recored by David Barbe during some 2014 west coast dates.
i've been searching for this forever it seems.  any kind soul want to hook me up?

werduga

http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=NEW&linkID=fta&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=#__utma=193113138.382819175.1434852902.1434852902.1434852902.1&__utmb=193113138.5.10.1434852902&__utmc=193113138&__utmx=-&__utmz=193113138.1434852902.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=192067306

good grief thats a long link! For those interested in New Madrid after the 8/7 MMJ show at the Fox. I imagine it should be pretty epic if MMJ hasn't already melted my face off earlier in the night...

MACKEL

I'll bite! Tickets are only $5 (closer to $10 after fees) until Thursday at 10 PM.

Been lookin back, down through the ages; First I was an ancient, then I was an infant, now I'm ALIVE

MattyJD

My buddy actually is friends with the lady at the Fox who books those acts and she asked him who to book for late night and he suggested them. They are awesome! Fantastic live. Will be perfect after-party show!

ruralt

Super jealous of anyone going to the Aug. 7th show. I almost considered doing that one instead of Red Rocks. :cheesy:

lpkell2145

I just started listening to them a few weeks ago and I'm hooked. I missed the show at the Fox Theatre. We left right after MMJ but. I am so sorry I missed them. Nice thing is they're local to Athens and are playing a show at the GA Theatre on Oct. 3 [emoji106]
20 times I wish you'd understand...

Concerns

Never heard of these guys before reading this, now I have their albums on the way at work! Thanks for the heads up  :thumbsup:

patrickbateman

Anyone know of a website/source where I can find their lyrics? Bought the first album digitally and although I'm not a big lyrics guy I'm curious as to what he's singing in some parts.

wheelhousetunes

I really diggin' these guys right now. Thanks for the heads-up on them here!

If anyone has an extra copy of Yarboat they want to sell, let me know!

ruralt

Quote from: patrickbateman on Sep 19, 2015, 09:51 AM
Anyone know of a website/source where I can find their lyrics? Bought the first album digitally and although I'm not a big lyrics guy I'm curious as to what he's singing in some parts.

I tweeted the band about this a while back and they said the liner notes of Sunswimmer have the lyrics but Yardboat does not. Kind of sucks because to me he's harder to understand on Yardboat. But I still like it. His delivery suits the music for some reason.

johnnYYac

Live EP Dawn Teeth Rattling, a Record Store Day release, now available.

http://newmadrid.bigcartel.com/product/dawn-teeth-rattling-live-ep

Come Closer

On Twitter it looked like they shot a music video with a band called Triathalon. Recommend checking them out as well, jangly and surfy goodness.