Roll Call -- SF -- Nob Hill Masonic Center -- ALL 3 NIGHTS!!!

Started by tdb810, May 05, 2015, 02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Quote from: Shug on Oct 18, 2015, 04:35 PM
I thought night 2 was the heads-down Rock-the-hell-out best show of the run by a large margin. I like my MMJ rockin' and that made night 2 stand out but I also felt the band was tight, focused, confident and effortlessly took control in laying down the rock. I felt the crowd was on the same wavelength of musical telepathy as the band and all that made the night a symbiotic feeding frenzy of the finest kind!  We all have our different fave styles and songs from Jacket and its damn amazing they can do three consecutive shows so different from one another and so high quality too, but night 2, for me, was a near-perfect example of why MMJ is the best live band in the world right now

Nice review Shug. I like how you gave your opinion, stated some points to back it up, the end.  :thumbsup:  :beer: 
"Where's Jim going?"

tippitoes22

Purely out of curiosity   
If you saw the whole Chicago 3day run AND
The San Francisco 3 day run...?

Which did you prefer, purely musically, sonically,
Actual shows not just the setlist...?

Again...Just curious. Not baiting or trying to
Ruffle any feathers. 

:beer:
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

buymycar

So how long has Carl been playing sax on Steam Engine?

ericm

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Oct 18, 2015, 08:03 PM
Purely out of curiosity   
If you saw the whole Chicago 3day run AND
The San Francisco 3 day run...?

Which did you prefer, purely musically, sonically,
Actual shows not just the setlist...?

Again...Just curious. Not baiting or trying to
Ruffle any feathers. 

:beer:

Paging Crispy..... Crispy to the courtesy phone.  :wink:

I'm sure there are others but I know he was at both runs,  and will have a good take on them. Especially since I'm betting he was up close and center in SF too.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Shug

Quote from: ericm on Oct 18, 2015, 06:23 PM
I thought night 2 was the heads-down Rock-the-hell-out best show of the run by a large margin. I like my MMJ rockin' and that made night 2 stand out but I also felt the band was tight, focused, confident and effortlessly took control in laying down the rock. I felt the crowd was on the same wavelength of musical telepathy as the band and all that made the night a symbiotic feeding frenzy of the finest kind!  We all have our different fave styles and songs from Jacket and its damn amazing they can do three consecutive shows so different from one another and so high quality too, but night 2, for me, was a near-perfect example of why MMJ is the best live band in the world right now

Nice review Shug. I like how you gave your opinion, stated some points to back it up, the end.  :thumbsup:  :beer: 

Well, Thanks, Eric.  You know those shows in which it seems like the whole room, band and fans are just in it together, the band crescendos and the crowd immediately responds?  It was like that on night 2.  They came out so hard and determined to kill it on The Dark.  I had three first timers with me and they were smiling and rocking out amazed from the very beginning of the show all the way through.  Looking out over the crowd from the second rail of the floor, seeing big sections of the crowd fist pumping during Off The Record was great!

On night 3, while there was a lot of strong rock coming from the stage, I didn't see as much connected responsiveness from the crowd when the band hit a big crescendo.  I was thinking, "why isn't everyone freaking out right now, these guys are killing it" and it seemed like more than half the crowd didn't really notice.

Sometimes the intangible but very obvious vibe makes the show, like on night 2.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

ericm

Hell yeah Shug. Whether it's these guys, the Dead, Bruce, whoever, there are some nights where it all comes together like that and it's just a great thing to be a part of. The reason why we all go to shows and what keeps us coming back show after show.  :cool:

It's definitely one of those things where there's no shot of knowing just seeing a setlist. I've seen shows by bands where the setlist might not have looked all that great but it had that "it" factor you're talking about and some where there's an amazing setlist that just didn't have "it".

I'm thrilled for you, and those there who got to experience that night 2 magic.   :thumbsup: :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

Here's my very high-level synopsis of the run:

Night 1:  Most interesting show
Night 2:  Most rocking show
Night 3:  Most spectacular show
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

buymycar

Quote from: Shug on Oct 18, 2015, 09:27 PM
Quote from: ericm on Oct 18, 2015, 06:23 PM

Well, Thanks, Eric.  You know those shows in which it seems like the whole room, band and fans are just in it together, the band crescendos and the crowd immediately responds?  It was like that on night 2.  They came out so hard and determined to kill it on The Dark.  I had three first timers with me and they were smiling and rocking out amazed from the very beginning of the show all the way through.  Looking out over the crowd from the second rail of the floor, seeing big sections of the crowd fist pumping during Off The Record was great!

On night 3, while there was a lot of strong rock coming from the stage, I didn't see as much connected responsiveness from the crowd when the band hit a big crescendo.  I was thinking, "why isn't everyone freaking out right now, these guys are killing it" and it seemed like more than half the crowd didn't really notice.

Sometimes the intangible but very obvious vibe makes the show, like on night 2.

I'm glad you felt that vibe at night 2. I wish I could say the same, but the people around me left me feeling very uneasy. There was a dangerous element in the crowd that night that fed my anxiety. I guess it could have just been me.

But you're right that the band was in balls to the wall rockin' mode. I've already expressed how awesome Carl was that night. I just think that the intensity of the music also fed my anxiety that the people around me were capable of anything.

It kills me that I Will Be There When You Die was on the written set list but not played. The encore felt too short, but I know they were up against curfew.

For night 3, I decided to hang back near the soundboard and had a much better time.

ericm

Quote from: MrWhippy on Oct 18, 2015, 10:12 PM

Sounds like quite the trifecta!  :thumbsup:

Will you and Flake be making any of the East Cost shows?
"Where's Jim going?"

Shug

Yeah, I think where you are in the venue also has a huge impact on how you perceive a show.  If you are all the way up front, you don't get as much sense of what the whole crowd behind you is doing.  Being in the middle of the crush on the floor can be uncomfortable and it was very crowded down there.  All three nights we were on the second rail left of the soundboard so we had clear sound and perfect sightlines as we were standing a head taller than everyone in front of us.  They even have a little shelf to put your drink.  Best spot in the house, IMO.  I probably would've had a way different experience in other spots.  All that rocking out looks great when you are watching it from just above.  We had enough room to rock out ourselves, too, cause we are not ones to stand around with our hands in our damn pockets when a rock 'n' roll band is killing it up there!!!   :drum:

buymycar

Quote from: Shug on Oct 18, 2015, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I think where you are in the venue also has a huge impact on how you perceive a show.  If you are all the way up front, you don't get as much sense of what the whole crowd behind you is doing.  Being in the middle of the crush on the floor can be uncomfortable and it was very crowded down there.  All three nights we were on the second rail left of the soundboard so we had clear sound and perfect sightlines as we were standing a head taller than everyone in front of us.  They even have a little shelf to put your drink.  Best spot in the house, IMO.  I probably would've had a way different experience in other spots.  All that rocking out looks great when you are watching it from just above.  We had enough room to rock out ourselves, too, cause we are not ones to stand around with our hands in our damn pockets when a rock 'n' roll band is killing it up there!!!   :drum:

I think that must be it, I had plenty of room to breathe on night 1, but with more people on the floor for night 2, I didn't have enough personal space to feel comfortable. It was that crowded for night 3, too, but at least I was at the back near an exit. And the rail behind me felt nice to lean up against after 3 nights of standing.

Shug

Oh yeah I was gonna say that there were a few kinds of microphones on stage recording audio.  I did not see any video cameras.  Wonder if they are going to release the audio of these shows?

buymycar

Quote from: Shug on Oct 18, 2015, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah I was gonna say that there were a few kinds of microphones on stage recording audio.  I did not see any video cameras.  Wonder if they are going to release the audio of these shows?

I sure hope so, but they do record every show they play. I'm sure that the cable they ran from their tour bus into the Masonic and that they were protecting from being stepped on had everything to do with that.

pawpaw

Hi guys, it's been a little while! My wife and I went to the Saturday show at the Masonic. We used to live 4 blocks from the venue, but that was the first time either of us had ever been in the building. I love that area up near the crest of Nob Hill...the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins, Grace Cathedral, the Pacific Union Club and Huntington Park...and a My Morning Jacket show!

The first few songs of Night 3 seemed kind of 'business as usual', at least from a song selection point of view. It had been 3 years since I'd seen them play though, and they sounded great, so I was lovin it all. I was really happy to hear both of the slower songs mid-set – Hillside Song and Where to Begin. Both sounded really nice, though the room was a little rowdy to fully appreciate them. From Thin Line through the end of the show though, the band kept stirring things up masterfully, building the energy in the crowd. Oh! Sweet Nuthin was about as big and brilliant a performance as I could ever hope for at a rock show. It was absolutely fantastic, and we still got 30+ minutes of energy added into the building after that.

For about the final hour and a half of the show there wasn't any let-up, and we just kept drawing aces. I Think I'm Going to Hell, Oh! Sweet Nuthin, Run Thru...I don't know that you can close out a set much better than that. Really, REALLY fun show (actually our whole day down there was perfect). Thanks again, My Morning Jacket.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

APR

What to say.  We all know how great MMJ is live, but they keep managing to exceed expectations.  I couldn't believe how many tunes they broke out night 1 that I hadn't heard in a long, long time.  They must be working hard practicing the Basement Tapes and JJ solo tunes because those were all awesome.  Quick Like a Flash and AEIOU flat out rocked.

I was with Shug and a few other Forum members on that great spot night one just above the main floor (I assuming your son was back safely at the hotel after night 2 or the good vibes you describe above would have soured big time).  Even the view of Patrick and Bo were amazing from there.  Night 2 I was in the same spot on the other side of the venue.  Night 3 I was in the balcony, and being up there was equally great.  It almost doesn't matter where you are in a place like the Masonic and most venues MMJ play these days.  It's incredible regardless.

I agree that being farther back and seeing the crowd go nuts adds to the fun.   And being with fellow MMJ fans during and pre show also adds to the fun.   I brought a friend who had never heard the band to night 3.  She was completely blown away.

Masterplan was extended more than I've ever heard.  The Steam and Dondante endings with Carl on sax were both terrific versions.   Picture of You was nice and long and rocking like it was at OBH 1.  Oh Seet Nuthin had a sick jam which I'm looking forward to hearing again when audio pops up.

Shug

Nice to meet you, APR!  Glad you guys decided to hang out with us at least one night before you defected to other spots, ha ha ha!

Man, wasn't there some great stuff every single night?  Masterplan and Going To Hell and Run Thru on night 3,  Slow Slow Tune, Carried Away, O Is The One>Wonderful Man on night 1.  But I think our son would have dug night 2 the best, high energy rocking and all that.  Hard  to predict which show is gonna be the best one for someone's taste, but if anything, he would dig the rock.

Bbill, sorry we didn't get to meet up, another time hopefully.  Glad you finally got to another Jacket show. Hopefully it won't be so long until the next one!

Gina

Quote from: MrWhippy on Oct 18, 2015, 10:12 PM

I agree!  I have to say, even as a noob of sorts in these parts, there were songs that I have NEVER heard live on night 1 - then night 2 was rocking - but night 3 seemed magical--->The guys seemed pump, having a great time.  Even the Fruit Bats were having a blast.   This really felt like OBH1 (without the relaxation) in terms of sets, vibe, and friends. 

The only thing that I didn't care for was the crushing from the house during encore.  Someone mentioned that they could see the waves in the crowd as people were pushing forward.  I actually felt bad for the petite woman behind me getting crushed.

Clarkwork

I would say Night 1 was the best set list, possibly of any Jacket show I've been to.  Just lots of good surprises and you did not know what was coming next.  And them adding in Slow Slow Tune was awesome and fit perfectly.   The fact Jim played an acoustic and did not touch an electric until song 7 was pretty cool.  Plus getting Carried Away!!  That is the one song I really wanted and got it the first night.

Night 2 was a lot more energy than night 1 and more rockin!  They even scratched I Will Be There because they knew it would kill the energy that had built up.  I hate seeing a song scratched but in this case it was the right thing.  Really fun electric show that kept everyone moving.

Night 3 was just a classic MMJ set.  Seemed to mix up all their catalog really well and blend all the albums together  plus we got Hillside Song and Where to Begin back to back, I'd take that any night of the week! 

All 3 nights were perfect and had great crowds, lots of energy and I got to stand on the rail the same spot all 3 nights.  When I looked to my right, left or in the back you could see fantastic people that we've met through the years and this tour.  It's been a blast, and was sadly our last shows of the year!

But I can't wait to do it all again, again, again, again!!!   

Jeff Clark..
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....