#MMJSD - 10/19 - Spontaneous Curation requests

Started by theninastorm, Oct 17, 2015, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theninastorm

I don't see this thread anywhere so here goes. (Note, I was at the SB Bowl and LA shows and all requests are songs that were not played at either of those shows):
DONDANTE!!!
Slow Tune
Knot
Outta My System

LOVE YOU GUYS!

dookie shoot bandit

IMO, this just didn't work this time around.
There were plenty of shows that I really don't think the requests were played.
Or if they were? They weren't anything out of the ordinary, and they probably would have played anyway.
I trust them with there set list and while there, I can care less what songs they play, but like I said I just don't think it worked this tour.

Shug

Quote from: theninastorm on Oct 17, 2015, 10:16 PM
I don't see this thread anywhere so here goes. (Note, I was at the SB Bowl and LA shows and all requests are songs that were not played at either of those shows):
DONDANTE!!!
Slow Tune
Knot
Outta My System

LOVE YOU GUYS!

Funny they played all four of those night 1 in SF.  I'd say you have a decent shot of hearing some of those.  Slow Slow Tune was so fricking epic!!!  Not sure why it doesn't get more love as one of their best ballads.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

tippitoes22

I gotch yer back on Slow Tune. I fuckin love that song.
I think it one of those songs a lotta ppl forget about (kinda).
Everyone wants there Steams, DONDONTE's, etc...
Big songs or songs they haven't seen. Slow tune, especially a
really dirty, long, jam at the end where that string bends and that
note just hangs for what seems like forever...  :thumbsup:
It's a really underrated song in my book!
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

rincon2

Spontaneous Curation is a myth. In 2012 it was supposed to help suggest the first song of the show. Wiltern night #1 opened with Circuital. After a year of opening with Victory and Circuital, I doubt more than zero people requested that as an opener. I met you that night, Shug.  :beer:

Shug

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Oct 18, 2015, 11:45 PM
I gotch yer back on Slow Tune. I fuckin love that song.
I think it one of those songs a lotta ppl forget about (kinda).
Everyone wants there Steams, DONDONTE's, etc...
Big songs or songs they haven't seen. Slow tune, especially a
really dirty, long, jam at the end where that string bends and that
note just hangs for what seems like forever...  :thumbsup:
It's a really underrated song in my book!

You know it, dude!  Glad to know I'm not the only fan of that song, it wrecked me on night 1 San Francisco!  I love it as much as Steam Dondante and I Will Sing You Songs, its got the same slow burn build up as those, I love that shit!

Shug

Quote from: rincon2 on Oct 19, 2015, 01:08 AM
Spontaneous Curation is a myth. In 2012 it was supposed to help suggest the first song of the show. Wiltern night #1 opened with Circuital. After a year of opening with Victory and Circuital, I doubt more than zero people requested that as an opener. I met you that night, Shug.  :beer:

Yeah, I don't think they are even doing Spontaneous Curation anymore, wasn't it just for that one tour?  And they didn't really follow it all the time, like you said, rincon.  I remember meeting you that night, too!

johnnYYac

I would disagree as to Spontaneous Curation being a farce.  Part of the problem is that folks don't follow directions.  The existence of this thread, for example, proves my point.

If folks wanted the band to see their requests for songs on the current tour, they need to post to Twitter, directing it to the band (@mymorningjacket), using the show-specific hashtag listed here:

http://mymorningjacket.com/scs

Another route for getting your requests seen was to post at the Roll Call Forum, where a thread was created for each show.  You have to be a Roll Call member to access this option, but the Twitter option remains for those who are not Roll Call members.

That can be found here:

http://mymorningjacket.com/forum/spontaneous_curation_series_submissions

Posting threads on the public fan Forum (this place), or on their Facebook page, or using the Goodyear blimp, isn't going to work.

That said, do they honor every request they receive?  No.  For some shows, too many requests to manage.  For some requests, songs the boys put to rest for reasons greater that any fan request could ever become catalyst for resurrection. 

I would say that I have had 50% of my Spontaneous Curation requests realized.  I'm more than happy with that.  I tend to balance my requests for the rare and obscure with more common tracks, such as requesting they open the show here in Iowa in June with Spring (Among the Living).  It was likely to be played, but I'd always imagined it would be a killer opener (and I was right).  On the other hand, I requested I Will Be There When You Die at the Milwaukee show on Father's day, explaining in my request that  it was the last song I played to my Dad mere minutes before he passed away.  They honored that request in a very memorable, moving way.

They listen, if you know how...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

justbcuzido

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 19, 2015, 01:11 PM
I would disagree as to Spontaneous Curation being a farce.  Part of the problem is that folks don't follow directions.  The existence of this thread, for example, proves my point.

If folks wanted the band to see their requests for songs on the current tour, they need to post to Twitter, directing it to the band (@mymorningjacket), using the show-specific hashtag listed here:

http://mymorningjacket.com/scs

Another route for getting your requests seen was to post at the Roll Call Forum, where a thread was created for each show.  You have to be a Roll Call member to access this option, but the Twitter option remains for those who are not Roll Call members.

That can be found here:

http://mymorningjacket.com/forum/spontaneous_curation_series_submissions

Posting threads on the public fan Forum (this place), or on their Facebook page, or using the Goodyear blimp, isn't going to work.

That said, do they honor every request they receive?  No.  For some shows, too many requests to manage.  For some requests, songs the boys put to rest for reasons greater that any fan request could ever become catalyst for resurrection. 

I would say that I have had 50% of my Spontaneous Curation requests realized.  I'm more than happy with that.  I tend to balance my requests for the rare and obscure with more common tracks, such as requesting they open the show here in Iowa in June with Spring (Among the Living).  It was likely to be played, but I'd always imagined it would be a killer opener (and I was right).  On the other hand, I requested I Will Be There When You Die at the Milwaukee show on Father's day, explaining in my request that  it was the last song I played to my Dad mere minutes before he passed away.  They honored that request in a very memorable, moving way.

They listen, if you know how...

Totally agree with you Yac.. And what people aren't realizing is that I think the majority of people posting on twitter are requesting commonly played songs like "Touch me Pt 2" "One Big Holiday" Etc... Not everyone goes to multiple shows a tour or has even seen them more than once. So those people are generally requesting the "standard" hits.

I do think they come through on the requests for the most part. Not as much on the ultra illusive tracks.

Just my 2 cents on it.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Shug

I think calling it a farce is too strong, but I did it the "right" way a few times on that tour in 2012 and I did one for SF this run and my requests didn't get played.  No big deal, I dig what they do anyways.

And I would suspect they pay more attention for a request from one of the fans they know than the ones they don't.  YYacster, you're gonna get special treatment and you have earned it!