The fans

Started by touchingmept2, Oct 25, 2015, 02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingmept2

It's great that this band is getting more attention these days. With that comes more fans. That's what they do it for, right?
I got the chance to finally see them tonight for the 1st time since 2011. They brought it!

The rest of this post is me bitching about those "fans". The ones that follow the band to every show, make a human shield on the rail, not bring it as much as other fans who aren't as fortunate to go to every stinkin' show on a multi-leg tour. The ones that have no energy, with at least one member of the fan group that leaves every song & treats those not in their group like shit. The ones that bitch about others not making it to every show and having a dick measuring contest with how many shows they've been to this month. Those that are constantly on their phones (whilst on the rail) showing the least amount of attention to the bands. And they look at you crazy for rocking the fuck out to every song.
If these people are so devoted to the band, it seems that they would give others a chance to have a great time, instead of making it a priority to pretty much guard the rail for no real reason than just being there.
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

ericm

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Oct 25, 2015, 02:57 AM
It's great that this band is getting more attention these days. With that comes more fans. That's what they do it for, right?
I got the chance to finally see them tonight for the 1st time since 2011. They brought it!

The rest of this post is me bitching about those "fans". The ones that follow the band to every show, make a human shield on the rail, not bring it as much as other fans who aren't as fortunate to go to every stinkin' show on a multi-leg tour. The ones that have no energy, with at least one member of the fan group that leaves every song & treats those not in their group like shit. The ones that bitch about others not making it to every show and having a dick measuring contest with how many shows they've been to this month. Those that are constantly on their phones (whilst on the rail) showing the least amount of attention to the bands. And they look at you crazy for rocking the fuck out to every song.
If these people are so devoted to the band, it seems that they would give others a chance to have a great time, instead of making it a priority to pretty much guard the rail for no real reason than just being there.

If you haven't been to a show since 2011 how do you know these so called fans go to every show and act as you say? Could it be you were just unlucky by going to a show with some shitty fans being there?

I've been fortunate to catch a lot of shows, in a decent amount of different places, and I can honestly say I've never seen what you're talking about. The fans I've seen rock the hell out, and yes, they might guard the rail which is their right since they've spent time in line waiting for it but they're also considerate of others around them. I've seen plenty of instances where people have let others in front of them to take a pic, rock their favorite song, or get a JJ ET finger touch. I've also seen these great fans take care of each other when needed.

I've been going to shows for 40 years and I would put MMJ fans up there with the nicest, best fans I've ever seen, and had the pleasure of rocking shows with.

If everything you said is true, I think you just ran into the odd bad apple. It's certainly more the exception than the rule,IMO.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

raheuer

All of the people I met there had come from Austin, or had been following the band for the last leg of the tour, and all of them were absolutely awesome! People I had never met before were high fiving me between every song because we were all just going insane together. I hope your experience with the fans didn't turn you off too bad, I promise there is some good!!!
It's DON FREAKIN DANTE by My Morning Jacket, just chill the hell out and listen!

jaye

Wow not my experience at all at the 3 SF shows!   If you look at any of the videos from those shows you'll see fans who go to a lot of shows (not every show) and they are rocking hard to every song.   

touchingmept2

Bad apples, I suppose. It takes some dedication to follow a band throughout a tour. My point is that if a fan does this, it's a given that they'll get wore out. So instead of showcasing mediocre fandom right up front, let fans that don't get to see the band every night up front.

touchingmept2

When words like "separatist", "privileged", & "earned the right" are used for such fans, it's definitely a turnoff. It shows the kind of people that get attracted to such a great band as the band gets bigger.

ericm

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Oct 25, 2015, 09:13 PM
When words like "separatist", "privileged", & "earned the right" are used for such fans, it's definitely a turnoff. It shows the kind of people that get attracted to such a great band as the band gets bigger.

You don't think people who show up hours before entry in the rain and cold or blazing heat of the summer have "earned the right" to have a spot on the rail?   :shocked:  Would you rather have someone show up right before curtain and shove their way there? 

I do agree though, those who show up that early shows what kind of fans this great band arrracts. Dedicated ones!

I really think you haven't been to many shows if you think Jacket fans are bad. Try going to a show of some bands where people put tarps down to hold spots or put their lawn chairs down to hold their spots all weekend. How about trying to crash the rail for some bands where people will throw punches for trying to crash?  Seriously, Jacket fans are some of the best out there. Get to more shows of other bands if you think I'm wrong.

"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

If you want to be up front get in line early.

touchingmept2

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Give diehard fans that aren't as fortunate to travel the world a chance for a great, once in a blue moon experience rather than hog the rail & make degrading remarks about said fans. Is this too much to ask for.
If there's a big group of roll call early entry fans that have the privilege to go to multiple shows (how do yall afford it?), and end up running to the rail every night, why not move the group a little further back? If not for the other fans' sakes, for the bands sake. I'm sure it's nice to be recognized by the band for the true devotion, but I figure they would enjoy seeing fresh faces on the first few rows.

touchingmept2

Quote from: walterfredo on Oct 26, 2015, 12:16 AM
Trust me, we were. The groupies were ahead of us. More and more of them kept showing up and cutting in line. Which was the first sign their character.

ruralt

I got in line very early for my last show and everyone there honored the order. I was by myself and didn't know anybody, so they could've just as easily decided to be assholes and cut in line, but they didn't and the people I met were cool.

I lost a great spot at Red Rocks and ended up way at the top and I still had a fucking blast. Probably my favorite of the few shows I've been to. I learned I didn't have to be up close to have my mind absolutely obliterated.

As for frustrations with fans who don't "bring it" - I thought Jim was the sheriff.

ericm

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Oct 26, 2015, 12:19 AM
Quote from: walterfredo on Oct 26, 2015, 12:16 AM
Trust me, we were. The groupies were ahead of us. More and more of them kept showing up and cutting in line. Which was the first sign their character.

So instead of opening your mouth, standing up for yourself, and saying something to them iin person you choose to come on here and bash ALL fans who do early entry and go to multiple shows?

Every early entry line I've been on was orderly and no one was doing any cutting. There have been times where some were waiting for hours and took turns watching each other's spots while someone went for a drink or bathroom break. I don't consider that cutting though and it doesn't sound like what you're referring to.

That said, I'm starting to think you're trolling us.

The PT MMJ board is -------->
"Where's Jim going?"

touchingmept2

I never stated all fans do this. You're getting offended. I'm a long time fan that's making a simple observance. Be part of the solution, not the problem. It's great if you've found your niche as a dedicated fan. And it's totally fine to view others aspects of concert going.

Devil Ledbetter

When people get carried away on the rail to the point of annoying, I try to remind myself that they're fans of my favorite band too. That really helps. But there's a palpable difference between those who are on the rail to rock out and those who are on some pathetic ego mission to grab the band's attention.

Then there are "fans" like that drunken moron in Detroit last June who shrieked "I LOVE YOU JIM JAMES! I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY JIM JAMES!" all through Hopefully. That wasn't about his appreciation for the band. That was about him using a quiet song as an opportunity to make everything all about him. This same twerp came up the next night and demanded my spot on the rail during my white whale, War Begun. Because of course he is "MMJ's Biggest Fan" and therefore "deserved" the spot I'd stood out in the baking heat waiting for, for hours ... and he was going to "prove" it by nattering in my ear endlessly about what a huge fan he is and how much he deserved my spot, all through War Begun.  I wish "fans' like that would die in a fire, and if that make me an asshole, so be it.

There is passion for MMJ's music, and then there is making the shows all about you and what a "huge fan" you are and using your fandom to be plain rude, and then there is acting like there is some competition to be The Biggest Fan and prove it by how much of the band's attention you can demand, whether on the rail or social media or both. 

It's not hard to spot the difference.

We understand it's the '90s.

ericm

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Oct 26, 2015, 09:02 AM
I never stated all fans do this. You're getting offended. I'm a long time fan that's making a simple observance. Be part of the solution, not the problem. It's great if you've found your niche as a dedicated fan. And it's totally fine to view others aspects of concert going.

Your OP sure sounds like you're talking about all the fans who go to multiple shows. It seems to me you've cast a big generalization on them and put all of them in the same category. At least that's how I took it. That is what I take offense to because I know it's nothing close to the truth, and I don't  think it's right to make it seem like that's what's going on at all shows.

As I said earlier It sounds like you ran into a few bad apples and I'm just telling you that was the exception. Put the blame where it lies, on the ones at the show you went to. Again, I don't get how you can say it's people who go to multiple shows in multiple cities who do this when you haven't gone to multiple shows to witness it. Maybe it was the same people at your show in 11 as it was at this most recent one?

Maybe you should take your own advice next time about being part of the solution. Speak up when you see people cutting in line before early entry! I can assure you fans police the line well in other places, and do speak up if something uncool is attempted. I haven't even seen much shit attempted because the fans I've seen all respect the process as well as each other.
"Where's Jim going?"

parkervb

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Oct 26, 2015, 10:37 AM
When people get carried away on the rail to the point of annoying, I try to remind myself that they're fans of my favorite band too. That really helps. But there's a palpable difference between those who are on the rail to rock out and those who are on some pathetic ego mission to grab the band's attention.

Then there are "fans" like that drunken moron in Detroit last June who shrieked "I LOVE YOU JIM JAMES! I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY JIM JAMES!" all through Hopefully. That wasn't about his appreciation for the band. That was about him using a quiet song as an opportunity to make everything all about him. This same twerp came up the next night and demanded my spot on the rail during my white whale, War Begun. Because of course he is "MMJ's Biggest Fan" and therefore "deserved" the spot I'd stood out in the baking heat waiting for, for hours ... and he was going to "prove" it by nattering in my ear endlessly about what a huge fan he is and how much he deserved my spot, all through War Begun.  I wish "fans' like that would die in a fire, and if that make me an asshole, so be it.

There is passion for MMJ's music, and then there is making the shows all about you and what a "huge fan" you are and using your fandom to be plain rude, and then there is acting like there is some competition to be The Biggest Fan and prove it by how much of the band's attention you can demand, whether on the rail or social media or both. 

It's not hard to spot the difference.

I could burst someone into flames with just my stare if someone interrupted War Begun. You, my Forum Friend, must have a level of restraint that I cannot fathom.
Don't you ever turn it off

Crispy

Unfortunately, there are almost always a few line interlopers, those who arrive late and join their friends who are already at the front of the line and who did not explicitly make sure that it would be okay with those behind them that a (i.e.:ONE) friend would be joining them later. It's happened in the past and always will. It is up to those on both sides to police the matter, but it's awfully difficult to do, especially when it's your friends, but also even with people you don't know. I tried in SF but was ignored (by people who had just made "friends" with some peeps the night before!), and that makes it even harder to speak up.

Interlopers into my space in the show, however, get no such allowance, as the girl who kept putting her hand on the rail between me and my buddy in Dallas discovered.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

pawpaw

Our rail-riders really aren't that bad.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

walterfredo

lets all thank the lord that antelope greg is not a jacket fan.  What a douche!

Devil Ledbetter

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 26, 2015, 11:24 AM

I could burst someone into flames with just my stare if someone interrupted War Begun. You, my Forum Friend, must have a level of restraint that I cannot fathom.
Actually, at the time he was pestering me about War Begun I hadn't put it together that he was the same pond scum who had screamed through Hopefully the night before. And that's really lucky for me because had I known at the time, I'd have been hauled out of the show and arrested for attempted murder.

Or to quote a certain rail riding friend of mine, "I can't wait to run into him at a show that I don't care about."
We understand it's the '90s.