08/31/08 - House of Blues - Myrtle Beach, SC

Started by baustin, Sep 01, 2008, 02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baustin

Great show, unfortunately it went untaped (the band did record a 4 channel of the SBD plus their audience mics).

There were at least 5 of us who were denied taping access. HOB Myrtle Beach can be a pain in the butt sometimes. We tried for about an hour, but apparently, unless 'the papers are signed' well in advance, they won't allow tapers.

I wish MMJ had a taping policy in place that would give us a starting point. Or maybe they would notify venues that tapers may show up. That is assuming that they're all pro-taping.

Anyway, the good news is that Tommy was nice enough to personally come down and investigate the situation for me. He said he wasn't really sure what the deal was so he actually took the time out to ask around for me. He couldn't have been a nicer guy.

Maybe their sound engineer (who's name I'm drawing a blank on) will be nice enough to kick their audience recording down to us!  ;)

Jellyfish

No tapers allowed,no camera's allowed,they wouldn't allow you to purchase any artwork or stickers until after the event was over,the sound system sucked,I could go on but you get the picture.The HOB is a horrible venue.

The only thing that saved it was an amazing performance by MMJ.These guys are on top of their game and Jim James is a rock god!
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Salacious D

Wow. Huge bummer. I would have rioted--you all are clearly much more civilized people than I am.

Like the OP said--hopefully the tapes will make their way out here somehow.

Thanks for trying, folks :)  We (yes, I'm speaking for all of us who love to here the band live) really appreciate it!!
Because if there's one thing that goes well with shooting zombies it's a Dolly Parton cover-el chode

getinthevan

Thats really too bad.  I really wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen in Detroit though.  I'm not positive about what their policy is, but I haven't seen any recordings come out of there since Live Nation took over.  They make a big deal about people having camera phones...
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

baustin

I also spoke with their sound engineer who was surprised that audio gear was not allowed in. I know that at a recent show, he actually helped the tapers out and allowed mic stands into his soundboard area.

So, by no means would I say they are abandoning us, I'm just guessing the taping thing is somewhat new to them. Or maybe now that they're getting bigger and playing in bigger (more corporate) venues, they're encountering situations/policies that they hadn't in the past. To my knowledge, to allow taping at most HOB venues, you have to specifically state so, but they definitely don't come right out and ask.

I personally wasn't in a situation that I could've gotten past the security wands with recording gear.

Love Dogg

Maybe their sound engineer (who's name I'm drawing a blank on)..............

I think his name is Ryan

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

blankpage37

I too planned on taping, but once we were told (lied to) by the ticket girl that it was "the band's" policy not to allow cameras, I knew that a recording wasn't going to happen.  My wife usually sneaks my stuff in inside her purse, which usually only warrants a cursory glance and we're on our way.  But the purse was returned to the car, and we were hassled by security anyway--my wife had to take her gum out of her pocket to satisfy them.

I personally thought that although the show was excellent, building steam as it went, the venue itself sucked.  The band merchandise area was cash only, which wouldn't have been so terrible except that their sole ATM was broken.  The sound was muddy on a few songs (the end of Dondante and one of the encore songs come immediately to mind), there were few good areas from which to watch the show that weren't on the ridiculously small floor or saved for "premium" ticket holders, and the whole place felt like one big cash grab.  The House of Blues is not a music venue, but rather a bar with extreme merchandising opportunities.  I hate to sound so negative, because the concert itself rose--nay, towered--above the circumstances, but I doubt that I'll ever visit another HoB unless given no better option--for example, the Black Keys are playing there on October 4, but I'm opting for Okkervil River in Richmond, VA, instead (I'm sort of in-between in NC).

(also posted in Shows section)

dolphin

QuoteI also spoke with their sound engineer who was surprised that audio gear was not allowed in. I know that at a recent show, he actually helped the tapers out and allowed mic stands into his soundboard area.

So, by no means would I say they are abandoning us, I'm just guessing the taping thing is somewhat new to them. Or maybe now that they're getting bigger and playing in bigger (more corporate) venues, they're encountering situations/policies that they hadn't in the past. To my knowledge, to allow taping at most HOB venues, you have to specifically state so, but they definitely don't come right out and ask.

I personally wasn't in a situation that I could've gotten past the security wands with recording gear.

yes he did help a taper, me, at the miami show he let me put my stand with 4 mics into his sdb area, and gave power for my mixer. a great guy. the fillmore is a live nation venue, and at first they gave me a bit of a runaround, until i just said i was taping for the band and just walked in, and went right to the sdb, the soundguy is one of the nicest guys and went out of his way to help. i even set up a mini sdb of my own in his sdb area.

baustin

QuoteI also spoke with their sound engineer who was surprised that audio gear was not allowed in. I know that at a recent show, he actually helped the tapers out and allowed mic stands into his soundboard area.

yes he did help a taper, me, at the miami show he let me put my stand with 4 mics into his sdb area, and gave power for my mixer. a great guy. the fillmore is a live nation venue, and at first they gave me a bit of a runaround, until i just said i was taping for the band and just walked in, and went right to the sdb, the soundguy is one of the nicest guys and went out of his way to help. i even set up a mini sdb of my own in his sdb area.

did i meet you at wilco in charleston recently?

dolphin

did i meet you at wilco in charleston recently?

no, it wasnt me, i dont travel out of state much anymore, but as far as the Fillmore, its a much more friendlier place for tapers since Live Nation took over. Before, when it was just Jackie Gleason Theatre, it was the worse venue to tape at, with all kinds of pat downs etc. I find the place much more friendlier and i do like that set up with the GA in the front.

nickb

FWIW, I got hassled going in to Orlando HOB...but being the lone taper and a confused venue staff I just kept walking while they "talked" about it....that was certainly the least of my worries, though.

Setup FOB, probably should have just inquired with the FOH engineer though....

I ended up getting kicked out about 3/4 of the way through for "pouring a beer" on some kids in front of me.

I did my best to plead my case but the manager wasn't hearing it....thankfully my buddy guarded my gear the remainder of the show and I had to sneak back in to break down and gtfo....

Overall, par for the course at a HOB venue.  They pretty much all suck...

dolphin

QuoteFWIW, I got hassled going in to Orlando HOB...but being the lone taper and a confused venue staff I just kept walking while they "talked" about it....that was certainly the least of my worries, though.

I ended up getting kicked out about 3/4 of the way through for "pouring a beer" on some kids in front of me.

I did my best to plead my case but the manager wasn't hearing it....thankfully my buddy guarded my gear the remainder of the show and I had to sneak back in to break down and gtfo....

dont know about Orlando but in Miami the sdb was located in the back of the pit so you couldnt ask for a better spot.

Tony Two Tone

This makes me want to cry!  Phone Went West was the most amazing version I've ever heard of that song.  Oh well, I guess it will just have to be a sweet sweet memory :)

Love Dogg

QuoteFWIW, I got hassled going in to Orlando HOB...but being the lone taper and a confused venue staff I just kept walking while they "talked" about it....that was certainly the least of my worries, though.

So did you get it taped?
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

nickb

Love Dogg

So did you get it taped?

Yep.  Its not pretty but its complete.   ;D

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2008-08-30.akgfob.flac16

Got it!  Thanks Nick!