RELEASE SOUNDBOARDS!!!!

Started by DaFunkyPrecedent, Sep 01, 2008, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFunkyPrecedent

why doesn't the band just release their sound board for every show for 9.99$?  I know most of on here would love to relive every show we've been to.  plus...they make a little side cash to buy women.  

what would it take to get this done?
God damn those shaky knees.

mjkoehler

I am down with that!!! Didn't/doesn't Primus do this?

I'd be more then happy to pay $10 for a SBD quality recording for the show I go to and select shows of interest (RCMH, Louisville Homecoming, NYE, etc. etc.)

purvis9876

STS9 does it for every show. I would love it if MMJ began doing it.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Pearl Jam's been doing this for years... I love it.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

corey

I'm gonna go ahead and be anal for a minute here. There's a difference between a SBD and a multitrack recording.
The majority of the time, SBDs sound like ass. Sure, there are occasional SBDs that sound great, but most of the time they are pretty unbalanced, mix-wise.
What we really want is a multi-track recording of the shows, like Pearl Jam does. This means that they get mixed POST Soundboard for a better control of volumes per track. You don't get the Pearl Jam recordings the night of the show, but I'd rather wait just a couple of days to get a MIXED recording rather than a SBD recording.

But we also have to take into consideration what something like this costs. You gotta factor in recording and mixing costs for each night, plus the manufacturing and shipping of the discs. Yeah, MMJ is doing pretty well right now, but it may not be something that's feasible for them to tackle right now... as much as I'd like to see it get done. I was listening to the livebonnaroo recording from a few years ago and thinking how cool it would be to have more shows of that quality.

JPV

instead of doing discs, with all their extra costs, make em available as FLAC files or high quality mp3s 8-)

Erik26

they are available in flac and at archive.org but those are a pain in the ass
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

mjkoehler

Corey- not anal at all, thanks for clarifing. Whatever sounds better is what I want and I'm willing to pay if it sound great. I don't need a hard copy. I'm fine with FLAC or really high bitrate/quality MP3's.

corey

Pearl Jam went the FLAC and mp3 route a while back.

Tony Two Tone

This would be awesome!

Gov't Mule does this for everyshow as well.  Mule Tracks!

aMillionDreams

I would definitely like to see them get released.  They've got to be taping them for something.  I hope the fans get to hear the good stuff some day.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ritchiem4812

All I got to say is:

nugs.net

nittygritty

mark me down for a yes.

I will definitely pay for better sound quality.
"the soul needs wine and kindness"

corey

I would think that NOW would be the time to get something like this started. With the way that the setlists are changing up and they're breaking out songs that haven't been played in a while, they could really take advantage of that.  
BUT, I do completely understand that it's not a very simple process.

CTdeadhead

the PJ ones are stage miked and not soundboards but in my opinion thats better.  

DaFunkyPrecedent

i mean shit..the boys have to know that people are crazy for their live shows.  Plus, what a better way to keep a fan.  Releasing soundboards makes me want to go to more shows because I know I can pick it up a week or so later and relive it for a minimal price of 9.99 or some shit.  

Wilco and Radiohead need to get on this as well...but radiohead is hella gay about live recordings.  
God damn those shaky knees.

corey

Unless PJ stopped giving a shit about the quality of recordings that they were releasing, they are definitely not stage-mic'ed.

I remember reading complaints from impatient bastards a couple of years ago because one particular show took more than just a couple of days to go online. There was a statement released by their management or something explaining that the tracks were individually recorded and mixed later, so it's not just a matter of converting them to FLACs or Mp3s and putting them on a server for download.

CTdeadhead

QuoteUnless PJ stopped giving a shit about the quality of recordings that they were releasing, they are definitely not stage-mic'ed.

Actually thats not true.  Even the first series in 2000 were not soundboards but some sort of mic.  The Tampa show has a note that the tape machine failed during the original recording for the boot so a soundboard recording has been used in its place.  There is a noticeable decline in quality on that track.  If you listen to say, the Athens show from the last tour, you can hear the screams in the front row so clearly its not possibly a soundboard.  Besides, Sbds are very fallible.  It is a recording suited to the venue sounds not the recorded sounds so the it can often sound hollow, and in some cases crowds are absent.  

I have been collecting live Grateful Dead shows for decades and some of the SBDs are horrible and the AUDs are superior for exactly this reason.  in some cases a Matrix may surface too.  

I wonder if Dave matthews is keeping MMJ from doing something like that.  After all it is his record label they record for.  

buymycar

QuoteUnless PJ stopped giving a shit about the quality of recordings that they were releasing, they are definitely not stage-mic'ed.

Actually thats not true.  Even the first series in 2000 were not soundboards but some sort of mic.  The Tampa show has a note that the tape machine failed during the original recording for the boot so a soundboard recording has been used in its place.  There is a noticeable decline in quality on that track.  If you listen to say, the Athens show from the last tour, you can hear the screams in the front row so clearly its not possibly a soundboard.  Besides, Sbds are very fallible.  It is a recording suited to the venue sounds not the recorded sounds so the it can often sound hollow, and in some cases crowds are absent.  

I have been collecting live Grateful Dead shows for decades and some of the SBDs are horrible and the AUDs are superior for exactly this reason.  in some cases a Matrix may surface too.  

I wonder if Dave matthews is keeping MMJ from doing something like that.  After all it is his record label they record for.  

Brett(PJ's sound guy) tracks each instrument on stage separately for mixing at a later time.  It is neither stage mic'd nor a soundboard.

corey

If both of you would read my other posts, you would see that I clearly said that SBDs aren't the best recordings. I said that the PJ recordings were multi-tracked.  :)