Main Menu

Tom Petty

Started by rkwedge, Oct 02, 2017, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkwedge

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 06, 2017, 10:20 AM
basically haven't stopped listening to the Live Anthology all week.
Ditto, Still can't believe this happened, this one hit me hard as I was a fan from the beginning. I remember hearing "Breakdown" on the radio on my lunch break when it came out. I ran to the record store after work looking for it. The guy asked if he could help me and I said do you have that album by Richard Petty and the Heartbreakers. Of coarse he laughed and said you mean Tom Petty?  I got the album and it didn't leave my turntable for a month. After seeing Johns ticket stubs, I went to see some of mine, saw the "Damn the Torpedo's" tour at the Paramount in Seattle 12/28/1979 $8.75. Saw "The Waiting" tour at Hec Ed in Seattle 7/6/1981 $9.50. I think I paid around $150 to see him this past August. Just goes to show, musicians made money on the records back in the day now have to make it on the touring.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

LBSUNFLWR

^^^ great story!

The shows this summer were worth every penny though, wouldn't you say?

rkwedge

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 06, 2017, 12:42 PM
^^^ great story!

Yes I do! I don't regret one penny of it. Took my son's girlfriend to it, she's pretty up on music but young. The first thing she said after the show to me was "Wow I've heard every one of those songs before, that was fantastic."

sillyboob

Yeah - the 40th Anniversary tour was great.  I was lucky enough to catch them at the Arroyo Seco festival, with Alabama Shakes, Dawes, Pres Hall, Charles Bradley & Broken Social Scene.  Pretty great lineup!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

LBSUNFLWR

I went to the show at Deer Creek in Indiana. They had a special relationship with Indiana and that venue in particular that they talked about a lot.
great show to be my last show. :(

LBSUNFLWR

rkwedge

Damn! Beautiful. Well done War on Drugs. Brought a tear to my eye, Thanks for posting this.
Can't wait to see what MMJ pulls out in CO.

parkervb

Quote from: rkwedge on Oct 06, 2017, 12:57 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 06, 2017, 12:42 PM
^^^ great story!

Yes I do! I don't regret one penny of it. Took my son's girlfriend to it, she's pretty up on music but young. The first thing she said after the show to me was "Wow I've heard every one of those songs before, that was fantastic."

someone said the average person can probably name 6 more Tom Petty songs than they think.  I thought that was a pretty nice compliment.
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

This was a tremendous remembrance of Tom Petty by Patterson Hood:

http://bittersoutherner.com/from-the-southern-perspective/music/like-sonny-liston-tom-petty-patterson-hood

The Replacements story is so good.
Don't you ever turn it off

rkwedge

:beer:
Quote from: parkervb on Oct 06, 2017, 04:01 PM

http://bittersoutherner.com/from-the-southern-perspective/music/like-sonny-liston-tom-petty-patterson-hood

Holy Crap that's written well. And "Something Big" is a top 5 Petty song for me so I was pleased to see it was his fav.  Thanks for posting :beer:

LBSUNFLWR

Look at how many different bands have done covers this week, and how many different songs have been covered. What an impact he's left on our world.  <3

APR

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 06, 2017, 04:01 PM

Great article.  I listened to Live Anthology based on your recommendation.  Cool covers on there too!

LBSUNFLWR

"Only A Broken Heart"

Here comes that feeling I've seen in your eyes
Back in the old days, before the hard times
But I'm not afraid anymore
It's only a broken heart

I know the place where you keep your secrets
Out of the sunshine, down in a valley
It's only a broken heart

What would I give, to start all over again
To clean up my mistakes

Stand in the moonlight, stand under heaven
Wait for an answer, hold out forever
But don't be afraid anymore
It's only a broken heart

What would I give, to start all over again
To clean up my mistakes

I know your weakness, you've seen my dark side
The end of the rainbow is always a long ride
It's only a broken heart

rkwedge

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 06, 2017, 11:20 PM
Really good: http://americansongwriter.com/2017/10/life-times-tom-petty/
This is a great read. The part about his grandparents is amazing, I'd never heard that before. Thanks for posting :beer:

Shug

If you haven't seen it, you gotta watch the Bogdanovich documentary, I recommend the 4 hour version.  In contrast to his easy going laid back image and demeanor, his relentless determination to succeed and succeed on his own terms without compromise was really fueled by hurt and rage towards injustice.  Petty's life story is a brilliant inspiring American one for sure.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

rkwedge

^^^Agreed this and their 30th anniversary concert "Runnin Down a Dream" are must see's

Shug

The Paul Zollo book Conversations With Tom Petty is great for getting deep into the songwriter's perspective on Petty's genius as a songwriter and get his take on lots of his deep cuts that otherwise never get discussed very much, like if you want to hear writing and recording details of songs like Between Two Worlds or stuff like that.

The Warren Zanes book is the definitive biography too, getting more into his personal life because most of it is based on hours and hours and hours of interviews with Petty as well as Zane's perspective opening for Petty on the Rock n Roll Caravan tour in 1987 with the Del Fuegos and the Georgia Satellites (holy shit that was a great show!!!)
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

LBSUNFLWR

https://www.jambase.com/article/jason-isbell-honors-tom-petty-in-memphis

Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit were among the performers at last weekend's MEMPHO Music Festival in Memphis. The singer-songwriter led his band through a pair of Tom Petty classics as part of their set at Shelby Farms Park on Saturday.

Touring in support of their recently issued LP The Nashville Sound, Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit performed several songs from the album, such as "Cumberland Gap," Hope the High Road" and "Last Of My Kind." The set also saw a few selections from Isbell's previous solo efforts Something More Than Free and Southeastern with a couple cuts from his time with Drive-By Truckers.

Following a performance of The Nashville Sound track "If We Were Vampires," Isbell took the stage for a solo acoustic cover of Tom Petty's early-career single "Even The Losers." The band then joined or "Anxiety" from the new record and a set-closing rendition of Petty's hit "American Girl." Audience-shot video of the two Petty covers can be viewed below

rkwedge

Jason Isbell's awesome, both these are so good. The University of Florida crowd did good Saturday as well, and I never thought I'd say this but Miley Cyrus and her dad on The Tonight show doing Wildflowers is top shelf. Thanks for posting and diverting away from that political thread down below, Yikes