MMJ / JJ - Compilations & Collaborations List

Started by downdownyoubringmedown, Mar 12, 2021, 10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downdownyoubringmedown

OK, since we are waiting patiently for live music to return, and of course, the new album to be released, I thought I would tackle this.  I am attempting to list all Compilations & Collaborations that have been officially released (Vinyl/CD/DVD/Digital D/L) for both My Morning Jacket and Jim James. I am sure I am missing things, so if anyone has any additional tracks/info, let me know and I will update the lists. Much appreciated!

Compilations: Any MMJ/JJ track or version that is unique to that compilation, and does not appear on any MMJ/JJ Album/Single/EP.

Collaborations: Any non-MMJ/JJ track/album that MMJ/JJ has appeared on in any way (backing vocals, instrumentation, etc.). If I don't have information on exactly which tracks JJ appeared on, then I have just listed the entire album.

I know you can have collaborations on compilations, so I've tried to separate them as accurately as I can. For the purposes of these lists, none of the following releases are included: Carl Solo, Order of Nature, Strand of Oak, Monsters of Folk, New Basement Tapes, New Multitudes, Ruckus, Spanish Gold, Winter Death Club, Hotel Roy, Month of Sundays, etc.

Also, on a separate note, I know that all of the Compilation & Collaboration tracks listed below at one point have been available in lossless audio except for the following releases. I believe these were only released in lossy formats:
Bridge School Benefit Collection Vol.4 (Lossy iTunes only?)
Best of Bonnaroo (Free Digital Release in 2010)
Dear New Orleans... (Lossy Digital Release only?)
Play It Forward Campaign - I Love You All the Time (Live NYC 2015) (Lossy Digital Release only?)
30 Songs, 30 Days – Sic of Elephants (Andrew Bird feat. Jim James) (Lossy Digital Release only?)

If anyone has ever seen any of the above in lossless, please reach out to me, I'd like to find out where you saw them. I'd love to get some feedback, I'm curious as to what I have missed. Thanks!

downdownyoubringmedown

Compilations
2000 MMJ Little Darla...V.14                                     Mother
2001 MMJ 2 Meter Sessies Volume 10                     Old September Blues (Live 2 Meter Session, Apr'00)
2002 MMJ Louisville is for Lovers 2002                    Sweetheart (Version #1)
2002 MMJ KVRX Local Live Vol.6                             The Bear (Live KVRX, Austin, TX Oct'00)
2002 MMJ ATO Records 53                                      The Way That He Sings (Live Bowery Ballroom, NYC Aug'02)
2002 MMJ A Gift from a Garden to  a Flower          Wear Your Love Like Heaven
2003 MMJ The Mother Lodge: Tribute to Rudyard  Behind That Locked Door
2003 MMJ Live from Bonnaroo 2003                       Dancefloors (Live Bonnaroo 2003)
2003 MMJ X-Ray CD#10                                           One Big Holiday (Live XFM Session, Aug 2003)
2003 MMJ 270 Miles From Graceland                      Lowdown (Live Bonnaroo 2003)
2004   JJ   Future Soundtrack for America                Going for the Gold (Live) (Bright Eyes feat. Jim James)
2004 MMJ Live @ The World Café Volume 18         Golden (Live WXPN, Sep'03)
2004 MMJ KCRW Sounds Eclectic 3                         One Big Holiday (Live KCRW, Oct'03)
2004 MMJ KFOG Live from the Archives 11             Golden (Live KFOG, May'04)
2004 MMJ Spunk Days of Future Past                      Golden (Live Melbourne, Mar'04)
2005 MMJ Louisville is for Lovers 5                          Blue Moon (Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart Cover)
2005 MMJ duyster. Sessies                                       Hopefully (Duyster Session, Belgium Dec'00)
2005   JJ   Sin City - A Tribute to Gram Parsons       Still Feelin' Blue, Wild Horses, Ooh Las Vegas (with Jim James)
2005 MMJ Live at KEXP Volume One                       The Way That He Sings (Live KEXP, Jun'02)
2005   JJ   Dylan Covered                                          Girl from the North Country (with Connor Oberst & M. Ward)
2005 MMJ Elizabethtown:Songs from Brown Hotel  I Will Be There When You Die (Live Seattle, WA '05)
2005 MMJ Austin City Limits Music Festival 2004   The Way That He Sings (Live Austin City Limits, Sep'04)
2005 MMJ Elizabethtown (Music from the...)           Where to Begin
2005   JJ   The New American Songbook (MOJO)    Sooner (Live The Enterprise, Camden, UK Sep'05)
2006 MMJ Louisville is for Lovers 6                          Epichord
2006 MMJ ONXRT: Live from the Archives, Vol. 9    Off the Record (Live Vic Theatre, Chicago, IL Oct'05)
2007 MMJ 2007 Sundance Film Festival Sampler     Devil's Peanut Butter
2007 MMJ Endless Highway: Music of The Band      It Makes No Difference
2007 MMJ Louisville Babylon II                                 Hollywood Babylon
2007   JJ   I'm Not There (OST)                                 Goin' to Acapulco (Jim James & Calexico)
2007   JJ   KFOG Live from the Archives 14               It Beats 4 U (Live KFOG, Oct'06)
2008 MMJ WFUV Live City Folk Nine                       Off the Record (Live WFUV, Oct'05)
2008 MMJ Serve3 - The Hard Rock Benefit Album  Look At You (Jim's Electronic Version)
2009 MMJ Het Beste Van 2 Meter Sessies '87-'09   Sec Walking (Live Melkweg, Amsterdam, July'08)
2009 MMJ Dark Was The Night                               El Corporal
2009 MMJ Waxploitation Presents: Causes 2           Highly Suspicious (VHS or Beta DJs Remix)
2009 MMJ The Bridge School Collection, Vol. 4       Gideon & Just One Thing (Live Bridge Benefit Concert '07)
2010 MMJ Louisville is for Lovers 2010                    Good Morning Dove
2010 MMJ Best of Bonnaroo                                    Oh! Sweet Nuthin' (Live Bonnaroo 2008)
2010 MMJ Twistable, Turnable Man                         Lullabys Legends & Lies, 26 Second Song
2010 MMJ Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows             All the Best
2010 MMJ Dear New Orleans...                                Carnival Time (feat. Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
2011 MMJ Rave On Buddy Holly                              True Love Ways
2011 MMJ Muppets - The Green Album                  Our World
2011   JJ   T Bone Burnett - Speaking Clock Revue   Wonderful (The Way I Feel) (Live Beacon Theatre, NYC, Oct '10)
2012 MMJ Chimes of Freedom Songs of Bob Dylan  You're a Big Girl Now
2012 MMJ Live @ The World Café Volume 33           Circuital (Live World Café, Aug'11) (Also on Circuital 2CD Release)
2012 MMJ 89.3 Live Current, Volume 8                     Circuital (Live Rock the Garden, Minneapolis, MN Jun'11)
2012 MMJ KINK Live 15                                             I'm Amazed (Live Bing Lounge, Portland, OR Jun'11)
2012   JJ   Boss (Original Television Soundtrack)       Who Done It?, Tell Me What You Saw (Brian Reitzell & Jim James)
2013 MMJ The Music is You: Tribute John Denver     Leaving on a Jet Plane
2013 MMJ Love for Levon: Benefit Save The Barn     Ophelia, It Makes No Difference, Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
2013 MMJ True Blood, Volume 4                               Turn Turn Turn (To Everything There is a Season)
2013 MMJ Red Hot + Fela                                         Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am (feat. B. Howard & M. Garbus)
2013 MMJ Dallas Buyers Club (OST)                         Ready To Be Called On
2013 MMJ College Radio Day: The Album, Vol. 2     Circuital (Live)
2013   JJ   ONXRT: Live from the Archives, Vol. 15     A New Life (Live Vic Theatre, Chicago, IL Apr'13)
2013   JJ   Live @ The World Café Volume 36            A New Life (Live Williamsburg Music Hall, NY Feb'13)
2014   JJ   Sweetheart 2014                                        Turn Your Lights Down Low
2014   JJ   A MusiCares Tribute-Bruce Springsteen    The Ghost of Tom Joad (Live Feb'13) (Tom Morello & Jim James)
2014 MMJ Farewell Transmission: The Music Of...     Farewell Transmission
2014   JJ   Farewell Transmission: The Music Of...       Almost Was Good Enough (feat. Bro Stephens & Jim James)
2015   JJ   Mistress America (OST)                              Dean Wareham - Happy & Free (Jim James Remix)
2015   JJ   No Escape (OST)                                        Take Care of You
2015 MMJ ONXRT: Live from the Archives, Vol. 17    Compound Fracture (Live Chicago Theatre, IL Jun'15)
2015 MMJ Play It Forward Campaign                         I Love You All the Time (Live Beacon Theatre, NYC, Nov'15)
2016   JJ   Louisville is for Lovers ''LIVE''                     Blue Moon (Live) & Take My Breath Away (Live)
2016   JJ   The Music of David Lynch                          Sycamore Trees
2016   JJ   Day of the Dead                                         Candyman (Jim James & Friends)
2016 MMJ Roadies: Music from... Season 1               The First Time
2016   JJ   Roadies: Music from... Season 1                 They Are All in Love (Live)
2016 MMJ Live @ The World Café Volume 40           Compound Fracture  (Live WXPN, Jun'15)
2016   JJ   30 Days, 30 Songs                                      Sic of Elephants (Andrew Bird feat. Jim James)
2017   JJ   Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile...                    Wasted
2017   JJ   Distant Conversation (The Soundtrack)     Distant Conversation (End Credits) (JBT Band w/Jim James)
2017   JJ   Change Begins Within - Benefit Concert   Hurdy Gurdy Man (With Donavan, Jim James & Ben Harper)
2017   JJ   FUV Live 20                                                Here in Spirit (Live WFUV, NYC Nov'16)
2018   JJ   The MOJO Anthology: 15 Rare Tracks       Changing World (Jim James Solo Acoustic)
2019   JJ   Sing It Brother, One More Time                 I've Been Riding With The Ghost
2019   JJ   Big Little Lies – Season 2                            Why Can't We Live Together
2019   JJ   Pine Mountain Sessions                             Walking in the Snow
2020 MMJ The Good Songs:A Tribute to Nick Cave   New Morning
2020 MMJ Good Music to Avert the Collapse...         Bring the Power Back Home (Also released as MMJ 7")
2020 MMJ Good Music to Avert the Collapse-Vol.2   Big Decisions (Jim's Demo)
2021   JJ   Me & My Guitar Benefit                             Leave It There
2021   JJ   John Prine & Friends Live Newport 2017  All the Best (w/Jim James) & Paradise (with Festival Artists)

downdownyoubringmedown

Collaborations
2004   Andrew Bird                    Fingerlings 2                                      Sovay (feat. MMJ) (Live, Boulder, CO'04)
2005   Bright Eyes                      I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning           At the Bottom of Everything (feat. Jim James)
2005   M. Ward                          Transistor Radio                                 One Life Away & Fuel for Fire (feat. Jim James)
2005   Kathleen Edwards           Back To Me                                        Independent Thief (feat. Jim James)
2006   Follow The Train              A Breath of Sigh                                I'm Not Sorry (feat. Jim James)
2006   M. Ward                          Post-War                                            Chinese Translation & Magic Trick (feat. JJ)
2007   Pearl Jam                         Immagine in Cornice                         A Quick One (While He's Away) (feat. MMJ)
2009   Decemberists                  The Hazards of Love                          Prelude, Margaret...,Wanting...,Hazards 4...(feat. JJ)
2010   Ben Sollee & DMM         Dear Companion                               Tracks 1,2,4,5,8,10,11 (feat. Jim James)
2010   Prez Hall Jazz Band         Preservation (An Album...)                 Louisiana Fairytale (feat. Jim James)
2010   Dr. Dog                           Shame, Shame                                   Shame, Shame (feat. Jim James)
2010   Booker T Jones               The Road to Memphis                        Progress (feat. Jim James)
2012   alt-J                                 Summer Remix EP                              Fitzpleasure (Jim James 'Apple C' Remix)
2012   Prez Hall Jazz Band         St. Peter & 57th St                              St. James Infirmary Pt.1 (JJ), Pt. 2 (MMJ)
2013   John Fogerty                   Wrote a Song For Everyone               Long As I Can See The Light (w/MMJ)
2013   Bob Marley                      Legend Remixed                               Waiting in Vain (Jim James Remix)
2013   Prez Hall Jazz Band         That's It!                                             I Think I Love You (feat. Jim James)
2013   Laura Veirs                       Warp and Weft                                 Ghosts of Louisville, Sadako Folding... (feat. JJ)
2013   Neko Case                       The Worse Things Get...                    Night Still Comes (feat. Jim James)
2013   Gov't Mule                       Shout!                                               Captured (feat. Jim James)
2014   Quiet Life                         Housebroken Man                            Waiting Around to Die (feat. Jim James)
2014   Flaming Lips                    With a Little Help from My Fwends  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (w/MMJ)
2015   Daniel Martin Moore       Golden Age                                       Entire Album (feat. Jim James)
2016   Basia Bulat                       Good Advice                                     Entire Album (feat. Jim James)
2016   Ray LaMontagne             Ouroboros                                         Tracks 2,3,4,5,7 (feat. Jim James)
2016   Karl Blau                           Introducing Karl Blau                        Fallin' Rain (feat. Jim James)
2016   Sachal Ensemble              Songs of Lahore                                Love's in Need of Love Today (feat. Jim James)
2016   Teddy Abrams                  Float Rumble Rest                             Float Rumble Rest (Teddy Abrams & Jim James)
2016   Dawes                              We're All Gonna Die                          We're All Gonna Die & When the Tequila... (JJ)
2017   Otis Junior                       Hemispheres                                      Under My Skin (feat. Jim James)
2017   Conor Oberst                   Salutations                                        Too Late...Gossimer...Tachycardia...Rain Follows (JJ)
2018   Laura Veirs                       The Lookout                                      Mountains of the Moon, The Canyon (feat. JJ)
2018   Chris Crofton                   Hello It's Me                                      UFO Hunters (feat. Jim James)
2018   Cornelia Murr                  Lake Tear of the Clouds                     Entire Album (feat. Jim James)
2019   Basia Balut                       Are You in Love?                                Entire Album (feat. Jim James)
2020   Teddy Abrams                  Lift Up Louisville                                Lift Up Louisville (feat. Jim James)
2020   Ricky Reed                       The Room                                          Us (How Sweet It Was) (feat. JJ & Duendita)
2020   Laura Veirs                       My Echo                                             Vapor Trails (feat. Jim James)
2021   Moby                               Reprise                                               Porcelain (feat. Jim James)

johnnYYac

Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on putting these lists together. I know I speak for others who will appreciate it. Seems the Forum is kinda quiet these days...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ericm

Fantastic work and appreciate the effort.  :thumbsup:   :beer:

I'd just add JJ was also part of the closing at the Springsteen MusicCares event in 13, where I believe the E St Band and cast played Glory Days to close the show. I always get a kick out of Bruce saying "Get that man a guitar" in regards to JJ during the closer!   :grin:
"Where's Jim going?"

sillyboob

Should Strand Of Oaks' Eraserland be on here, since the band (minus Jim) was Tim's backing band?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

ChiefOKONO

wow, great work in putting this together!  Thank you!

Wouldn't it also be really cool to have all of the album artwork for these in a slideshow?  :)

downdownyoubringmedown

Hey, thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated, I enjoyed putting the list together.

ericm - Good catch! I am having trouble updating the original post, but I'll update  as soon as I can.

silly - The only releases on here are under MMJ, or Jim James. Just a personal preference for the list, otherwise this would have quite a few more if we included other projects from other MMJ members.

Cheers!

ericm

Quote from: downdownyoubringmedown on Apr 19, 2021, 08:38 PMHey, thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated, I enjoyed putting the list together.

ericm - Good catch! I am having trouble updating the original post, but I'll update  as soon as I can.

silly - The only releases on here are under MMJ, or Jim James. Just a personal preference for the list, otherwise this would have quite a few more if we included other projects from other MMJ members.

Cheers!

Haha, more like an easy catch for me as in addition to being an MMJ fan, I've been a Bruce fan forever.

Reading your list, the MusicCares event was one of the first things I looked at because it was great for me to see two of my all time favorites share the stage for that finale.

I'd also add the JJ/Morello collaboration on TGOTJ is absolutely amazing. I've been fortunate to see Bruce do that tune more than a few times. Several  of those were with Morello, and they've all been fantastic but I honestly have to say the JJ/Morello version that night is right up there with the best versions I've seen. They absolutely killed it and I'd say the crowds reaction to that performance shows they felt the same.

A must see video for any JJ/MMJ fan.  I can post a link to it but didn't want to hijack or clutter up your thread with videos unless you're cool with me or others posting links of these collaborations.
"Where's Jim going?"

downdownyoubringmedown

Haha, more like an easy catch for me as in addition to being an MMJ fan, I've been a Bruce fan forever.

Reading your list, the MusicCares event was one of the first things I looked at because it was great for me to see two of my all time favorites share the stage for that finale.

I'd also add the JJ/Morello collaboration on TGOTJ is absolutely amazing. I've been fortunate to see Bruce do that tune more than a few times. Several  of those were with Morello, and they've all been fantastic but I honestly have to say the JJ/Morello version that night is right up there with the best versions I've seen. They absolutely killed it and I'd say the crowds reaction to that performance shows they felt the same.

A must see video for any JJ/MMJ fan.  I can post a link to it but didn't want to hijack or clutter up your thread with videos unless you're cool with me or others posting links of these collaborations.
[/quote]

Hey mate - I would love to see that video, and any compilation vids posted are welcome! I think everyone is gearing up for some new MMJ activity in the coming months, so we should see some more activity on the board. Cheers & thanks, its appreciated!

ericm

Alright here it is.

JJ and Tom Morello doing The Ghost Of Tom Joad from the Springsteen MusicCares event in 2013:

https://vimeo.com/channels/1442474/151016562

"Where's Jim going?"

downdownyoubringmedown

Quote from: ericm on Apr 20, 2021, 10:49 AMAlright here it is.

JJ and Tom Morello doing The Ghost Of Tom Joad from the Springsteen MusicCares event in 2013:

Thanks for posting this ericm - that video is pure awesomeness!

ericm

Quote from: downdownyoubringmedown on Apr 21, 2021, 03:56 PM

Thanks for posting this ericm - that video is pure awesomeness!

It sure is!

Funny thing is they finally got that crowd up and on their feet and from that point on it seemed to me the energy in the room picked up through the end of the show. Prior to that it was like a bunch of people politely taking in the other performances almost like a dinner theater show and not a live music event.

JJ and Morello definitely lit a fuse on the night.
"Where's Jim going?"

robb

just watched this for the first time in years and got goosebumps all over again. what a great performance.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

ChiefOKONO

Never saw that... really cool version thank you!!!

Great solos!!!

ericm

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Apr 22, 2021, 05:05 PMNever saw that... really cool version thank you!!!

Great solos!!!

Yeah no doubt about that and I really enjoyed the passion in their singing and trading off verses as well as the solos. They were both really into it all the way around and put on a great cover.
"Where's Jim going?"

sillyboob

Great list here.  And that video is killer!  :thumbsup:
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.