Railbird Festival in Lexington Kentucky

Started by MMJTX, Apr 27, 2021, 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJCOBRA

Anyone streaming tonight? 

I enjoyed the stream from that dude's phone way more than I thought I would.

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

mdgsolo

MMJCOBRA

The four song opener looks like a four song encore on paper.

1. Victory Dance
2. Off the Record
3. Magheetah
4. Circuital

rkwedge

Quote from: unravelled on Aug 29, 2021, 12:44 AMThe four song opener looks like a four song encore on paper.

1. Victory Dance
2. Off the Record
3. Magheetah
4. Circuital
Lucky to be Alive
Feel You
I'm Amazed
Wasted
Wonderful the Way I Feel
Regularly Scheduled Programming
Spring
Steam Engine
Wordless Chorus
Touch Me 2
OBH
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Mr. White

This is my video from last night. It's too loud at the very beginning and a couple of the times Jim yells extra loud, but overall it's not too bad.

My Morning Jacket
"Steam Engine"
Railbird Festival
Lexington, Kentucky
Saturday, August 28, 2021
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

YimYodd

John
What a performance!!!
Thanks for the awesome video, loved the Disco Ball closeup :grin: .
I didn't make it to the show, after much consideration.
No lodging, 3 hour drive, heat index, arthritic knees (not Shaky) & attending to see only the boys finally dissuaded me from attending.
I was able to watch a couple of fb streamers and the boys sounded great.
Highlites for me were Wonderful & RSG, Steam, and Touch Me 2 >>> OBH.
Hope to see you in STL.
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Jack D

Quote from: unravelled on Aug 29, 2021, 12:44 AMThe four song opener looks like a four song encore on paper.

1. Victory Dance
2. Off the Record
3. Magheetah
4. Circuital
Yeah anyone who showed up late because of the Billy Strings overlap missed some classics. Jim was chatty tonight, expressing how great it was to be together with an audience.
"Wasted" is an instant live classic- but we knew it would be!

ranyart

Sounds like a great show and I'm super glad the weather didn't cause any trouble (other than it was blazing hot).  I'm still hoping we get an indoor show in Mr. White's backyard but it's looking unlikely for 2021.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/my-morning-jacket/2021/the-grounds-at-keeneland-lexington-ky-1b8cf50c.html

Pineapple

Railbird should book MMJ for a free concert at Rupp Arena to make up for the shitshow yesterday with no food or water... luckily it was all worthwhile to see the boys again!
If you don't know yourself, how could you ever know me?

ranyart

No food or water?  Are you serious?  Wow...

Towski

It was a complete disaster.  HourS long lines for food and drinks. Even water refill station were an hour long while waiting on asphalt in the sun and 95F.  So bad that we ate night two of hotel and rented a car to drive home a day early.  MMJ was awesome as always...but I'll never go to Railbird again.  Ever.

AKS

Shit show doesn't even begin to explain how poorly ran the festival
was yesterday. They're lucky they had the bands they did to help take away some of the negative feedback they're getting. I don't know how this festival recovers and comes back next year. We lucked out because we got there a little later, which meant not dealing with the lines to get in but getting a beer, no chance, food, nope. Better hope you brought a water bottle in and could find somewhat cold water at the re-fill stations.

The boys did what they do best though and that's what it's all about. I'm being very picky but a little annoying we didn't get a full 2 hours. When it's a band this good and you don't get 1 or 2 more songs it always sucks! We shall see how their "changes" for today go!

Anyone needs two passes hit me up!

Quote from: Towski on Aug 29, 2021, 12:32 PMIt was a complete disaster.  HourS long lines for food and drinks. Even water refill station were an hour long while waiting on asphalt in the sun and 95F.  So bad that we ate night two of hotel and rented a car to drive home a day early.  MMJ was awesome as always...but I'll never go to Railbird again.  Ever.

Towski

I heard they were late taking the stage because Jim was stuck in line trying to get a water.

Cameron

ranyart

Just found an article about the Railbird troubles in the local rag...

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2021/08/28/railbird-music-festival-sees-long-lines-water-food-and-beer/5639394001/

Sounds like they are going to try to do better today, but time will tell, and this year's event was 2x 2019 so sounds like they didn't plan properly for the growth.

Mr. White

Quote from: YimYodd on Aug 29, 2021, 09:19 AMJohn
What a performance!!!
Thanks for the awesome video, loved the Disco Ball closeup :grin: .
I didn't make it to the show, after much consideration.
No lodging, 3 hour drive, heat index, arthritic knees (not Shaky) & attending to see only the boys finally dissuaded me from attending.
I was able to watch a couple of fb streamers and the boys sounded great.
Highlites for me were Wonderful & RSG, Steam, and Touch Me 2 >>> OBH.
Hope to see you in STL.

Yeah, I thought it was a good show, but I have to be honest in saying I was disappointed they didn't play at least 2 hours (hoped for the standard 2 hours and 15 to 25 minutes). They were on and then off the stage with no encore break for 1 hour and 49 minutes.

Hope somebody recorded it from the audience, but I'm not sure there were any tapers. Hope so.

I hope we get to go to that St. Louis show. It's indoors, so I'm hoping things calm down a bit during the next two months with the Coronavirus and it doesn't get cancelled.

Mr. White

My Railbird Festival 2021 experience wasn't as frustrating for me as it was for the average person. I went in knowing I wasn't going to buy anything there (except maybe a poster or something after the show was over - I didn't even do that). I had my last toilet break just as we exited the parking area. I had my Camelback Classic with me and made my way to the line for free water. We got through the entrance gate at 3:30, and it took me about 20 minutes to wait in line for water. I then made my way to the left of center side (cheap side with no VIP cut-out section up to the rail) and found a good piece of unclaimed grass and sat down about halfway between the soundboard tent and the front rail. I listened to my first act seated right there. After people left that stage to go over to the other stages, I decided to make my way to the center railing that divided the left and right half and provided for the cable runs and the crew to move up and down (you all know what I'm talking about). I was able to get right behind a couple who had brought a blanket, an umbrella and other stuff and were permanently camped out there (until about a third of the way through MMJ's set and they move out). That meant I had the center rail to lean on for old man health reasons and nobody pushing past me to get right in front of me. I talked to a few of the people in my immediate area and saw and waved down two friends from here on the Forum and spoke with them a few minutes. Besides that, I kept to myself, tried to conserve energy, drank slowly on my Camelback water supply, and waited for my favorite band to take the stage. There was a 25 minute delay in them going on (they started at 9:25 instead of 9:00), so that might have effected the on stage time quite a bit, but I still don't see why they couldn't have just said the hell with it, we're playing longer. These fans deserve it. Anyway, I did enjoy my time at the Railbird Festival, but that's simply because I came prepared, had on the right clothing (even snuck in a large chunk of ice in my neck wrap that lasted about an hour), conserved my energy by never moving from my chosen spot, and waited to rock out till the end (the other acts weren't very rockin'). Also, the 25 minute delay might have been some sort of electrical or soundboard cable run issue. They started pushing road cases down the center path toward the stage and pulled up the right side of cables right around the time MMJ were supposed to take the stage. I mentioned it to one of the crew working security, and he said he had no idea and didn't know what in the world it could be related to. My friend and his wife said the sound wasn't mixed right in their opinion from where they were way back in the field. Earlier in the day, a lady behind me that I had been talking with mentioned that something seemed off with the sound during that particular band's performance. She said something like it had too much reverb. I don't know. I had my earpeace hearing protection in for the entire festival (I've been having some hearing issues lately and didn't want to take any chances at a festival). Hope there is an audience recording of the show though. That's it. I'm back on the mend with a good helping of MMJ's Healing Music!

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Mr. White on Aug 29, 2021, 05:44 PMMy Railbird Festival 2021 experience wasn't as frustrating for me as it was for the average person. I went in knowing I wasn't going to buy anything there (except maybe a poster or something after the show was over - I didn't even do that). I had my last toilet break just as we exited the parking area. I had my Camelback Classic with me and made my way to the line for free water. We got through the entrance gate at 3:30, and it took me about 20 minutes to wait in line for water. I then made my way to the left of center side (cheap side with no VIP cut-out section up to the rail) and found a good piece of unclaimed grass and sat down about halfway between the soundboard tent and the front rail. I listened to my first act seated right there. After people left that stage to go over to the other stages, I decided to make my way to the center railing that divided the left and right half and provided for the cable runs and the crew to move up and down (you all know what I'm talking about). I was able to get right behind a couple who had brought a blanket, an umbrella and other stuff and were permanently camped out there (until about a third of the way through MMJ's set and they move out). That meant I had the center rail to lean on for old man health reasons and nobody pushing past me to get right in front of me. I talked to a few of the people in my immediate area and saw and waved down two friends from here on the Forum and spoke with them a few minutes. Besides that, I kept to myself, tried to conserve energy, drank slowly on my Camelback water supply, and waited for my favorite band to take the stage. There was a 25 minute delay in them going on (they started at 9:25 instead of 9:00), so that might have effected the on stage time quite a bit, but I still don't see why they couldn't have just said the hell with it, we're playing longer. These fans deserve it. Anyway, I did enjoy my time at the Railbird Festival, but that's simply because I came prepared, had on the right clothing (even snuck in a large chunk of ice in my neck wrap that lasted about an hour), conserved my energy by never moving from my chosen spot, and waited to rock out till the end (the other acts weren't very rockin'). Also, the 25 minute delay might have been some sort of electrical or soundboard cable run issue. They started pushing road cases down the center path toward the stage and pulled up the right side of cables right around the time MMJ were supposed to take the stage. I mentioned it to one of the crew working security, and he said he had no idea and didn't know what in the world it could be related to. My friend and his wife said the sound wasn't mixed right in their opinion from where they were way back in the field. Earlier in the day, a lady behind me that I had been talking with mentioned that something seemed off with the sound during that particular band's performance. She said something like it had too much reverb. I don't know. I had my earpeace hearing protection in for the entire festival (I've been having some hearing issues lately and didn't want to take any chances at a festival). Hope there is an audience recording of the show though. That's it. I'm back on the mend with a good helping of MMJ's Healing Music!

My man!!!!  Focus on the positive!!! I love it

slappymoe

wow, i didn't pull the trigger on a Saturday ticket because a single day was going to cost at least $200 overall.  plus the old man in me has developed a powerful aversion to outdoor shows in the summer heat.  hell, i won't even play golf anymore if it's over 90.

reading some of these railbird horror stories makes me oh so glad i passed.  dying to bask in the glory that is MMJ live, but it can wait a couple more months.