Santa Barbara Lingers…

Started by Hoptimus Prime, Sep 26, 2021, 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoptimus Prime

We saw both the Santa Barbara and Greek Theater shows. I can't say I've ever seen two consecutive shows that were so different, surprising, or flat out badass. I've seen a lot of Jacket shows over the last couple decades, and that was just incredible. Opening with OBH into TM2 was awesome. It's a bold choice! While the Greek show was great, the Santa Barbara show was epic in my opinion. Definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. They looked refreshed and sounded transcendent. If they didn't have OBH, Dancefloors would be the best damn show closer ever. It has me so fired up for Mexico...

Seems like a new era for this band, and from what I saw it's going to be fucking glorious.
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

mdgsolo

The positive energy in this post is highly contagious.. in a good way   

danimal

I agree that there was something special going on at that Santa Barbara show. My wife and I have been to Red Rocks, seen NYE shows, the incredible 3 night run in LA a few years back and many more. That SB show is definitely a standout show for me in the same ways you describe.

Also 100000% agree that Dancefloors is a beast and really killed in the show closer spot. I felt like OBH actually had more impact in the middle of the set because I wasn't expecting it to be placed there and that spontaneity took it up a notch for me personally.

Lonndown27

i've been talking about Dancefloors as a closer for years and I'm so glad it's happening. Santa Barbara is a mammoth, where's the tapes? I'm dying to hear Where To Begin in full.

Thanks to Debbie Sproule for posting a chunk.

They're playing 2 hour and 35-40 minute shows right now and they're mixing it up in a very intriguing way...sure, they're not at the stage of playing Sooner, How Could I know, Can You See The Hard Helmet On my Head etc and all this stuff like that from that era, but they're a different band now...and I think still more than capable of playing that era of songs but in a way that suits where they're at now...I can see Strangulation! getting that treatment.

Songs I haven't seen live that I must:
THEY RAN (2015 version pleeease)
WHERE TO BEGIN
STRANGULATION!
I THINK I'M GOING TO HELL
ROLLIN BACK
HOW COULD I KNOW
HOW DO YOU KNOW
SOONER
HONEST MAN
TONITE I WANT 2 CELEBRATE W/ YOU
WEEKS GO BY LIKE DAYS
OLD SEPT BLUES (2019 VERSION PLEEEASE)
JUST ONE THING
COBRA (full, seen it but only 5 minute version, a very mini version)
IF ALL ELSE FAILS

Damnit, why did i miss OBH4?
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

really sad the band aren't coming through Salt Lake
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

walterfredo

My wife and I went to the same two shows. Absolutely loved them both, but we both left the Greek thinking that was the better of the two as far as crowd and band vibe and overall rocking-ness. The Crowd in SB just wasn't as into it (on a whole) as the Berkeley Crowd, and it seemed the band could feel that too. Really goes to show how much subjectivity plays in.

So much yes on the Dancefloors! Love that song so much, and just a perfect song to send the crowd out to. Amazing! Bring on Seattle!

Shug

I agree with all the positivity in here for the Santa Barbara show, it really exceeded what I was expecting.  With the return from hiatus and where Jim has seem to have been in terms of less rocking out for the past few years, I really didn't expect such an energetic fired up tight performance.  They seemed really into it and they seemed really locked in, like the pros that they are.  This line up has been putting on rock shows together for a LONG time and it seemed to me like they were making a statement to any doubters (including me) that they can put on an epic show anytime they want to, their abilities are not diminished and their stoke seems to be back.  Carl in particular, was raging and rocking and headbanging and it doesn't hurt that Tom has long hair again, easier to see when he is headbanging now too, ha ha ha!

The sound, too, was so crisp and clear, and there seemed to be a lot of separation between the instruments, more than I remember at past shows.  Not sure if this is from the musicians, the sound engineering, or the venue or a combo of all the above, but it sounded fucking fantastic to me.  Pretty killer light show the whole time, too, seemed extra good to me.

Also gotta say that the staff at the Bowl were probably the friendliest, most helpful, most welcoming I've ever encountered.  It sure was nice and made for just an excellent overall experience.

I didn't get to any other shows, but I sure am ready to hit some more, things seems to be going up and up as this tour gets rolling.  Greek looked great with the OBH opener.  I too dug having OBH mid set, way better than being at the end of the set for me because of the unexpectedness and freshness of it.  Getting Lay Low and Anytime in the same set was epic for me, I always hope for those and they played the shit out of them, especially Anytime.  Six song encore? YES PLEASE!  Run Thru and Dancefloors to close the show, fuck yeah!  I will never get tired of Dancefloors, always on my wish list.

Now I just wanna hear War Begun>I Will Sing You Songs (and Lowdown, Xmas Curtain, O Is The One, At Dawn and The Bear!  :grin: )
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"