Roll Call - Alpharetta, GA (9/3)

Started by easy way, May 26, 2021, 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobRoy286

Pineapple

If you don't know yourself, how could you ever know me?

bhyman

I have 2 extra pit tickets for tonight's show because some folks couldn't make it. Face is $75 per ticket, will sell both for $100. DM me on the forum if interested.

bhyman

It's a scorcher. Opening part 1 & 2. Holy crap.

bhyman

Already a top 3 show for me. Wow!

MMJCOBRA

Yeah...that just happened.. :shocked:

1 Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1
2 Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2
3 It Beats 4 U
4 Spring (Among the Living)
5 Circuital
6 I'm Amazed
7 Climbing the Ladder
8 Feel You
9 Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
10 Run It
11 Lowdown
12 Regularly Scheduled Programming
13 Off the Record
14 Dondante
15 Love Love Love
16 Wordless Chorus
17 One Big Holiday

Encore

18 Victory Dance
19 Anytime
20 Wasted

They did I'm Amazed twice, back to back. First a beautiful solo acoustic Jim James acoustic rendition, followed immediately by a fully charged full band version.

Many comments to follow tomorrow. One of my all time favorite shows out of 41. No doubt a top ten show for me and top five is under heavy consideration.

Seriously, I can't believe what my eyes just saw, my ears just heard, and my soul just experienced.

MMJTX

Anytime

AKS

WOW! WOW! WOW!  That setlist just jumps out at me...  so different... What a way to start! Holy smokes, that had to be some show!!

Quote from: unravelled on Sep 14, 2021, 03:34 AMYeah...that just happened.. :shocked:

3 It Beats 4 U
5 Circuital
6 I'm Amazed
7 Climbing the Ladder
8 Feel You
10 Run It
11 Lowdown
13 Off the Record
14 Dondante
15 Love Love Love
16 Wordless Chorus
17 One Big Holiday

Encore

18 Victory Dance
19 Anytime
20 Wasted

They did I'm Amazed twice, back to back. First a beautiful solo acoustic Jim James acoustic rendition, followed immediately by a fully charged full band version.

Many comments to follow tomorrow. One of my all time favorite shows out of 41. No doubt a top ten show for me and top five is under heavy consideration.

Seriously, I can't believe what my eyes just saw, my ears just heard, and my soul just experienced.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: unravelled on Sep 14, 2021, 03:34 AMYeah...that just happened.. :shocked:

3 It Beats 4 U
5 Circuital
6 I'm Amazed
7 Climbing the Ladder
8 Feel You
10 Run It
11 Lowdown
13 Off the Record
14 Dondante
15 Love Love Love
16 Wordless Chorus
17 One Big Holiday

Encore

18 Victory Dance
19 Anytime
20 Wasted

Wooowwwwww  :cheesy:

jimmyE

I need to know more about this show - the setlist is incredible! Seems like the boys really brought it last night!

parkervb

dang, that's awesome. Good on the band for such an adventurous setlist after having to reschedule on such short notice.
Don't you ever turn it off

rkwedge

Crazy good set list. From what I'm hearing from you guys that have been to any of these shows on this tour, the guys are bringing it. I can't wait to see them in a couple weeks.  :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

C.S.

Man I'm so bummed I had to miss this; pulling the trip off on a Monday just wasn't in the cards for my wife and I.

bhyman

Well I've reflected and gathered my thoughts from last night's show. For context this is my 32nd show. I traveled to Mexico for OBH 3 and did Red Rocks in 2019, so I've seen them quite a few times this past decade.

• There was a lot of energy at the amphitheater last night. If unfamiliar with Ameris Amphitheater, there is a big pit area, then covered seating, then GA lawn in the back. Ameris does not open the lawn at every show and they opted not to for this one. The result is a very intimate feel at the venue.
  • From the moment Brittany Howard stepped out (7:30 PM on the money) for the opening act I could sense that it was going to be special. Her set was tight and included 2 funkadelic covers. Her closer "History Repeats" was a barn-burner and perfect way to close out her set.
  • My jaw dropped when they OPENED with Touch Me Parts 1 & 2 right out of the gate. I wasn't initially thrilled with the choice for Part 1 as the opener, but it all made sense when they went into Part 2 after. I saw them play the 2 songs in sequence at the Fox in Atlanta many years ago but it was in the encore.
  • It Beats 4 U just sounded great. That tension-filed build up always gets me.
  • Spring was good and I always love the twitchy light show with that one. Not my fave from The Waterfall but it sounded good.
  • I absolutely adore the acoustic "I'm Amazed" intro. Then they played the song with full band. A really nice touch
  • First time hearing live Climbing the Ladder, Feel You, and Run It from Waterfall II. They all landed really well for me, especially Feel You. One of my fave solos of the night in the outro to that song.
  • I thought Jim's voice was great. He's pretty fit now and I think his physique gives him a bit more tenor in his voice now, something that I have missed in the past few years. Or maybe I am imagining things, who knows.
  • Was good to see Off the Record so late in the set. They've played it in the #2 or #3 spot quite a bit in recent years.
  • RSP and Love Love Love have a lot of potential. I just need to hear them more.
  • It was a pretty traditional Dondante intro, much like Okonokos version. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. They also kept the song length pretty tight which I imagine they needed to meet curfew. Still, always a great outro jam. Carl's sax was on point.
  • They started OBH at 10:55 and I was about to cry thinking they would end at 11:00 PM with no proper encore set. But I have to say, the crowd was feeding off of the energy and it was one of my favorite moments of the night despite having heard that song in every live show I've seen.
  • But wait.... there's more! Wasted as the closer?!?!?! It really worked. I love seeing them play with the setlists like this. Keeps me on my toes. They ended at 11:30 PM, just at curfew time.

As I was posting last night I was confident this is a top 5 set for me. The more I think about it the more I think it is a top 3 now. Enjoy the tour folks, MMJ is back!

ericm

Nice review Bman and glad you guys got a great show.  :thumbsup:

I've been to that Amp a few times and love it. Even  with a big pit it still seems like an intimate place. Never been with the lawn closed so I can only imagine how much more intimate it seemed.

What time did they hit the stage? Based on your post I'd imagine around 9:00?
"Where's Jim going?"

MMJTX

Enjoyed your write-up bhyman, always fun to see such a unique set-list, feel they definitely played it up for yall due to the rescheduling. Can't imagine what it felt like to see them come back out after playing OBH.
Anytime

ranyart

Wow!  Sounds like quite a show and I'm super happy that they were able to squeeze it in after dodging the covid scare, and I'm even happier for the fans here that got to see it.

We're getting super pumped for our Chicago run...

MMJCOBRA

https://archive.org/details/mmj2021-09-13/mmj2021-09-13d01t05.flac

From the imitable Z-man, who I happened to meet in the lot.  I started up a random conversation w him and turns out he need a pair of tickets. 

When he introduced himself as Z-man, my jaw dropped. I asked he he was the taper Z-man and that I fell asleep the night before the show listening to his Jim James solo Tabernacle set from 2018. He almost didn't believe me. Really sweet guy!!  Karma was in the air last night.

chieftokenpuff6

So I don't usually write my opinions on shows. This one will be an exception. I loved the setlist. I didn't know what to expect the whole time. Venue felt so intimate with small crowd. Probably my smallest MMJ show to date.

I brought a first timer with me, but that is how I felt again. For the record he was blown away. He said, "you never told me they were this good." Joking, of course, because this band is like everything I talk about. I think he came mainly because of Brittany Howard, but got his face melted off by MMJ.

This was my 3rd show of tour 34th overall. Went to Charlotte and MPP. And I still have tickets to go to whole Chicago run!

Touch me 1 & 2 together is amazing. I was telling a buddy of mine a day before the show that I am more of a part 1 guy. That was a great coincidence for me.

IB4U and Spring were great. Circuital I usually could take or leave, but it's grown on me. Lyrics really fit the times.

I'm Amazed has been played at every show or run I have been to. I wasn't a huge fan when it came out, it has always been my pee break song. Plus the bathroom and beer lines are never crowded. Never again if they do the Jim solo at the beginning.

Climbing the Ladder is good. I like that tempo change in the middle.

Feel You is pretty, but not my cup of tea and goes on a little long.

Jim talking is always welcome. He is so humble. And yeah let's highlight how great Brittany was on this tour here like he did.

Wonderful was amazing my favorite version I have gotten. Love that he changed "like a cop on the beat" lyric to "rising up with the steam". And the "at least not in my mind at least not in my heart or my soul or my miiiiind (laughs)" was really great. Then the weird funny sounds added to this one was also great. The crowd cheering after police and disease was awesome.

Run It was a highlight. Jim interrupting to mention the moon and leading into Bo's piano solo with a "take em for a walk, Bo Bo" love them giving him some solo time.

Lowdown is a favorite of mine so I was so happy to hear it.

RSP, I'm not a real big fan of it.

Always enjoy Off The Record. As mentioned before, great to hear it towards the end of the set.

When they were wrapping up a fantastic Dondonte (which I always welcome a shorter version of) I thought they didn't leave enough time for an encore break with an 11pm curfew. So I thought this would be where a break would be, but I was wrong.

Love is gonna take some time for me to like. Wordless and OBH are obviously incredible. I thought it was over. I guess curfew was actually 11:30pm.

Victory Dance I never really liked, but it has really come around on me this tour.

Anytime is a good time, Anytime!

Loved Jim's outro that they wanted to stay. Wasted as a closer was so killer, probably their best new track in a long time.

Any criticism of the music in this should be taken with a grain of salt. Any song by MMJ is better than a song by someone else. :thumbsup:

Last thing, did anyone notice Tom didn't look to happy at the end of one of the earlier songs? Looked like something he wanted to do got cut.

sillyboob

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.