My Morning Jacket (the album)

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 07, 2021, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

After way too many listens, Out of Range is my favorite track. 

Come Closer

I thought it was sequenced pretty well given what they included, but I think my ideal tracklist would be something like

RSP
Least Expected
In Color
Real World
Details
Lucky
Penny
Out of Range
Enough

Lucius

The 90s Karaoke Machine vocal effect on Never In The Real World has really grown on me. Wasn't keen on that song at all when we just had the live recording but - I get it now. I think a subtle horn section during the tail end of the song wouldn't have killed it though! Nothing extravagant, just some padding.

Just figured what else I Never Could Get Enough reminds me of. Ready To Be Called On! (Which I know isn't a fan favourite but I actually really like)

I can honestly say there's not a single song I strongly dislike on this record. Our boys did good. A few songs would have benefitted from Jim singing in more than one octave but I know come the live shows all hell is gonna break loose.

Broken record alert but I don't care - any murmurs on a European tour yet?!
it wouldn't be a party without you

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lucius on Oct 23, 2021, 03:52 PMThe 90s Karaoke Machine vocal effect on Never In The Real World has really grown on me. Wasn't keen on that song at all when we just had the live recording but - I get it now. I think a subtle horn section during the tail end of the song wouldn't have killed it though! Nothing extravagant, just some padding.

Just figured what else I Never Could Get Enough reminds me of. Ready To Be Called On! (Which I know isn't a fan favourite but I actually really like)

I can honestly say there's not a single song I strongly dislike on this record. Our boys did good. A few songs would have benefitted from Jim singing in more than one octave but I know come the live shows all hell is gonna break loose.

Broken record alert but I don't care - any murmurs on a European tour yet?!
I thought the same thing with Ready to be Called On! Good call.

And yeah, Never in the Real World is a favorite of mine. So good. Just brings the feels. So simple but it hits me just right. That tension/release at the end is bliss.

YimYodd

Quote from: Lucius on Oct 23, 2021, 03:52 PMBroken record alert but I don't care - any murmurs on a European tour yet?!

I hope you guys get a tour soon, but they gotta get back to Louisville first!  :drum:  :beer:  :rolleyes:
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

diddy57

OK, so now that I've heard it a half-dozen times, I'm singing all the "in color" parts in falsetto out loud. I could be wrong, but I think this is going to become a trend at shows.

mmmja

Long time lurker on these forums, been a Jacket fan for years, but something about this album made me want to sign up and share in the fun.

Tl:dr this shit slaps hard

I haven't felt this way about an MMJ album in a long time. I can rank my fav albums but that might be pointless, needless to say this one is way up there. Saying all that, what the hell were they thinking releasing RSP and LLL as the singles? I was actually ready to be disappointed by this newest effort based on those singles (I still pre ordered everything and got a tour poster for my guitar room). Complex was interesting and is actually an earworm for me after a couple of listens, but there are so many hits on this album it's weird they didn't go with any of them as promos.

RSP: Cool opener, definitely not a single, works way better in the context of an album though

LLL: this one made me nervous, I was not a fan at all when it came out. Seems like it was written to play on fallon or something. Will probably be in a commercial. It has grown on me a little, but after 5 album spins, I still skip it.

In color: this is what I'd consider a "classic" MMJ song. good buildup, great solos, the whole band working together, nice message. I thought this would be my favorite but this album keeps giving.

Least Expected: what a soulful tune! this is what I think Like a river was trying to be, but for me the funk and real 70's vibe makes this song. Idk why but I feel like it could be a doobie brothers or steely dan track, and I mean that as a complement.

Never in the real world: this is a good, solid song. I can't tell exactly what it reminds me of just yet. Kind of captures the same energy as "makes no difference" in their live shows. Doesn't stick with me, idk why, but maybe will on future listens.

DITD: Usually I like it when songs build and blow up, but this one really does it for me. The slow, meditative meandering pace captures a feeling of melancholy and hopelessness I feel about the world sometimes so perfectly. Yes the lyrics are on the nose, but I think it totally works. Do I wish we would get some lyrical poetry like steam engine? Of course, but I'm not complaining that much.

Lucky to be alive: I thought I would absolutely loathe this song (I hated climbing the ladder), but this all feel so tongue in cheek I think the upbeat tune works with the saltiness of the lyrics. I do have a soft spot for some wacky songs in their catalogue though (peanut butter pudding surprise...) and this feels like it scratches that itch. Also, the end jam is super out of place but so welcome, honestly it rocks. Can't wait to see what they do with that live.

Complex: Reminds me of remnants but better. I really dig this tune, and the repetition of "you get what you pay for" really hits for me. I've been mouthing this line to myself since it came out.

Out of range: I tried to listen to "How could I know" and connect the dots between these two songs like some people have been saying, but I don't get the connection. Though, Im hearing some of the "ready to be called" on from the DBC soundtrack on this one, but better. Absolutely love it.

Penny for your thoughts: another solid jam. MMJ doing what they do best. Sounds like it could be a cover at times. Also feel like there is some ready to be called on DNA here.

INCGE: I'm not a huge fan of these slow and earnest songs (i.e. slow slow tune, Only memories, etc) but this is a nice closer. Probably not my fav on the album, but of the slow closers, this is my favorite.

I know WF2 is really loved on this forum, but to me it really did feel like a collection of b-sides except for Feel You, and that was mainly for the godly riff. So glad we have a fresh, awesome album. So grateful to this band for keeping it real after so many records.

mdgsolo

Well, I'm super glad i didn't read all of this before I dove in to this album with both feet finally this morning- and I still love you all.

I have to agree with the person that said, 'mind blown'.  I am super loving this and as I told a friend earlier, 'this is the album I needed when I needed it most..'

I have not found anything to dislike- what can I say?  I'm easy.  I just can't wait to hear all of these songs live and have loved the teasers we've had so far.  I was only at Troutdale and Bend, but I have to say this album is an absolute monster.

halesdd

Been a long while since I've posted but this album calls the need to do so.  So my take after several listens, here is a Penny for my Thoughts...

The album is absolutely fantastic.  Not really a weak point in the album.  There are some golden MMJ tracks on this album. My favorites are RSP, Least Expected, Never in the Real World, and In Colors.  My only complaint is I wish that they ended the album on In Color.  I like Never Could Get Enough but seems like a weak song to end on.  The best part of this album which makes it rank up in the top three jacket CDs is that they let the jams breath.  The last several albums have cut some songs way too short before playing them fully out. That's not trashing on the previous few albums but it feels much more like they are at their roots but mixed in with some of the sounds of new. 

Anyways, I'll say this.  It is an album that I think it will grow more and more on me as time goes on but for the time being I'm Lucky to be Alive. 
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

Lucius

Gave the album its first listen on shuffle and I'm just here to say Penny For Your Thoughts flows amazingly into In Color. I was debating maybe making my own version of the album with either Complex or Penny as track 3 because I feel like there's a gap there! So there we go
it wouldn't be a party without you

parkervb

Jim said "rainbow" is a song, it's definite a lib's tears song....

What's funny about this (to me) is that the song seems to be about acknowleding & appreciating nuance (from Webster: a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound) and it gets interpeted as literally as one could as some sort of sonic analog to the Crying Lib Meme. I feel its a message to all who take part in political discourse (of which nearly every aspect of life is viewed through now) to recognize that it's rarely, rarely a cut and dry, black and white issue and once we do that, we can start to have real conversations and maybe enact change on the much more prevalent commonalities each of us share as humans. If that's tears of a lib...then hand this guy a tissue.
Don't you ever turn it off

slappymoe

Quote from: mmmja on Oct 24, 2021, 11:45 AMI know WF2 is really loved on this forum, but to me it really did feel like a collection of b-sides except for Feel You
glad to see i'm not the only one.  WF2 simply struck me as a collection of songs from those sessions that weren't good enough to make the cut for WF1. 

been hoping these new tunes push most WF2 songs off the chicago setlists.  but then again it's good to have designated bathroom songs. :beer:

Come Closer

W2 felt like b sides in the sense that it wasn't cohesive. And I agree they're not songs that translate well live for the most part. That said, I still think it's a darn good listen all things considered. I'm not sure b sides from the s/t sessions would be as strong tbh.

RobRoy286

Quote from: mmmja on Oct 24, 2021, 11:45 AMSaying all that, what the hell were they thinking releasing RSP and LLL as the singles? I was actually ready to be disappointed by this newest effort based on those singles (I still pre ordered everything and got a tour poster for my guitar room). Complex was interesting and is actually an earworm for me after a couple of listens, but there are so many hits on this album it's weird they didn't go with any of them as promos.

Look at the track lengths. They literally just picked the three shortest songs, the only ones that are really appropriate length for radio.

Penny For Your Thoughts would've made the best lead single IMO, but they would've had to trim it.

So nice to see all the love for this album.

RobRoy286

He may not have the standout solos like Slow Slow Tune, but Carl is actually ALL over this album. Classic Carl sounds in Least Expected especially. He is going to tear these songs up live, I cannot wait.

Nikkogino

Quote from: slappymoe on Oct 25, 2021, 04:18 PM
Quote from: mmmja on Oct 24, 2021, 11:45 AMI know WF2 is really loved on this forum, but to me it really did feel like a collection of b-sides except for Feel You
glad to see i'm not the only one.  WF2 simply struck me as a collection of songs from those sessions that weren't good enough to make the cut for WF1. 

been hoping these new tunes push most WF2 songs off the chicago setlists.  but then again it's good to have designated bathroom songs. :beer:
Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 25, 2021, 04:59 PMW2 felt like b sides in the sense that it wasn't cohesive. And I agree they're not songs that translate well live for the most part. That said, I still think it's a darn good listen all things considered. I'm not sure b sides from the s/t sessions would be as strong tbh.

I feel like this is all just in your heads.  If the band called these 10 songs something other than "2" and told you all they were brand new songs, more people would be gushing for them.  And to say this album isn't cohesive but WF1 is...with Big Decisions sitting there (disclaimer: I love big decisions but it has no relation to songs like Like a River).  I feel like WF2 is extremely cohesive, and the songs are top tier.  It is a perfect chill out record.  And to say the WF2 songs don't translate to the live setting is so wild to me.  Feel You and Wasted are amazing live. 

Sorry for the rant.  I just don't get the hate.  WF2 is amazing.

C.S.

All I can say is I hope to god there is a My Morning Jacket II.

Nikkogino

Quote from: C.S. on Oct 25, 2021, 09:32 PMAll I can say is I hope to god there is a My Morning Jacket II.
At Dawn 2 would be nice.

Come Closer

I get the sense (and I'm way over simplifying here) that they had more of a gameplan with this record and there wouldn't be a bunch of usable leftovers, where The Waterfall sessions was more throwing stuff at the wall. That was all I meant by that. More ideas from The Waterfall Sessions if I had to guess.

I like W2, I just think relative to W1 it's poppier and less conducive to rocking out, not that everything has to rock out live. And the beginning feels similar, but that back half feels a little bit all over the place with the puzzle pieces not fitting great to me. And I never said W1 was cohesive, but I do think it flows better than 2.

Nikkogino

Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 25, 2021, 10:16 PMI get the sense (and I'm way over simplifying here) that they had more of a gameplan with this record and there wouldn't be a bunch of usable leftovers, where The Waterfall sessions was more throwing stuff at the wall. That was all I meant by that. More ideas from The Waterfall Sessions if I had to guess.

I like W2, I just think relative to W1 it's poppier and less conducive to rocking out, not that everything has to rock out live. And the beginning feels similar, but that back half feels a little bit all over the place with the puzzle pieces not fitting great to me. And I never said W1 was cohesive, but I do think it flows better than 2.
I hear you.  I just defend that album because I think it is stellar material being passed off as leftovers/b-sides.  I put some of the songs (Wasted, Feel You) up there with some of their best, especially when it comes to jamming live.  It's also probably their best weekend driving album.  Take that album to the road and see what I mean.