My Morning Jacket (the album)

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 07, 2021, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roffrs

Anyone else dreaming of Only Memories Remain>Never Could Get Enough>Knot Comes Loose?
Good luck comes from trying.

RobRoy286

Quote from: roffrs on Oct 22, 2021, 02:23 AMAnyone else dreaming of Only Memories Remain>Never Could Get Enough>Knot Comes Loose?
Ooo that would be nice. I was thinkin,

Thin Line -> Still Thinkin -> Out of Range.

I'm a sucker for that beachy psychedelic sound.

MOWJO8185

This is really really great. They sound incredibly loose and happy. Of the ones being mentioned a little less I am really really digging Least Expected.

I don't know where this will ultimately slot into my rankings of their studio work, but I do expect the songs to be my favorite additions to their live show in YEARS.

Lucius

My one fatal mistake with this album has been how much I've played the version of In Color from forest hills in the run up to the album release. Right now I much prefer that recording to the studio version :cry:

It may join the list of Jacket songs (Spring, Smokin from Shootin, First Light, amongst others) that really burst open on stage more than anything
it wouldn't be a party without you

parkervb

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Oct 22, 2021, 06:59 AMThis is really really great. They sound incredibly loose and happy. Of the ones being mentioned a little less I am really really digging Least Expected.

I don't know where this will ultimately slot into my rankings of their studio work, but I do expect the songs to be my favorite additions to their live show in YEARS.

I was so into this song right away. I can hear Jim tapping into that Marvin Gaye sound and spirit on it.

I need to sit with the record a bit more (3 spin min) but I am so happy for the band to have this record out after how close they came to possibly NOT making another record.
Don't you ever turn it off

Nikkogino

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 21, 2021, 09:09 PMAnyone else hearing How Could I Know/Oxen in that leadup in Out of Range?
Could this be why the song has a "part 2" in its name?  Kinda like "this song is called out of range but it's a sequel to How Could I Know."  I may be reaching here but the band had to have noticed the similarity in that lead up.

Nikkogino

Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 22, 2021, 10:42 AM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 21, 2021, 09:09 PMAnyone else hearing How Could I Know/Oxen in that leadup in Out of Range?
Could this be why the song has a "part 2" in its name?  Kinda like "this song is called out of range but it's a spiritual sequel to How Could I Know."  I may be reaching here but the band had to have noticed the similarity in that lead up.

Murph

Only have listened to it once so take that for what it's worth...

I love the jamming on the record - it definitely has been sorely missed.  I love the little idiosyncrasies you hear on this record - Jim really seems to be a complete studio wizard at this point.  I just really feel that his lyrics leave something to be desired, to say the least.  There were more almost cringe worthy lines than beautiful or unexpected lines, at least that I heard during my first time through.  Still definitely dig the feel and vibe to the songs though.  SHould rip live of course

kotchishm

I am loving it so far. I try not to take my first couple passes too seriously. Just put it on in the background while getting some work done until songs catch my attention. There are some that I think will definitely grow on me. I can say there are none that I outright dislike like on some previous albums (I'm talking about you, 'Climbing the Ladder")
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

RobRoy286

Just keeps getting better with every listen.

They literally just picked the three shortest songs as singles. Penny would've been the best lead single but they would've had to trim it. I'm glad they didn't.

The "Had enough" bookends are so nice. I personally love the lyrics on here. I know a lot of people are wanting some obscure kitten on fire/baby in a blender lyrics but I like he straight forwardness here. Least Expected has great lyrics, I also love Never in the Real World.

This will probably end up being my favorite studio album.

atk1

Hey All.. Sitting at work and I just got notified my pre-order of the vinyl w/ digital download delivered to my house.
How does the digital download work? Is it a code that comes with the actual album? I haven't received any kind of email or anything.

Signed,
not very patient and getting kinda figity!

Thanks

Nikkogino

Quote from: kotchishm on Oct 22, 2021, 10:47 AM(I'm talking about you, 'Climbing the Ladder")
That song is awesome.

parkervb

Quote from: atk1 on Oct 22, 2021, 10:56 AMHey All.. Sitting at work and I just got notified my pre-order of the vinyl w/ digital download delivered to my house.
How does the digital download work? Is it a code that comes with the actual album? I haven't received any kind of email or anything.

Signed,
not very patient and getting kinda figity!

Thanks

yes it's likely a code and a web address to go to. You'll download the MP3 or whatever format to your computer, then you can upload to iTunes or Google Play or whatever to stream on your devices. Or you can burn it to a CD

RobRoy286

Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 22, 2021, 10:56 AM
Quote from: kotchishm on Oct 22, 2021, 10:47 AM(I'm talking about you, 'Climbing the Ladder")
That song is awesome.
Agreed- I'm gonna be getting DOWN for that one in Chicago.

shumatec1012

So far i am blown away. I didn't expect to like this album so much, as others allude to the singles weren't the strongest choices- but this might be the most cohesive album in years, and the diversity of sound this band is capable of is just so refreshing- a song like " least expected" as no precedent in their catalogue.

The album moves together well- RSP is a great opener- and " can't ever get enough" is an awesome closer.

I'm blown away by " never in the real world" such a fun song.

More thoughts later- but I am VERY happy with MMJ 3.0

MOWJO8185

The only sad thing about the new album being out now is I think it makes it incredibly unlikely for Still Thinkin to make its live debut. Really didn't expect that to be the red-headed stepchild of Waterfall 2, that end jam is tasty.

kotchishm

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 22, 2021, 11:08 AM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 22, 2021, 10:56 AM
That song is awesome.
Agreed- I'm gonna be getting DOWN for that one in Chicago.

I know, I know. Unpopular opinion lol. It just always felt like a lesser version of "Devil's Peanut Butter" from the Z sessions. Can't shake the comparison in my head. Not sure why
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

parkervb

the acoustic part on I Never Could Get Enough with the electronic siren-ish sounds...Jim is in his bag on the production.

shumatec1012

Quote from: roffrs on Oct 22, 2021, 02:23 AMAnyone else dreaming of Only Memories Remain>Never Could Get Enough>Knot Comes Loose?

For me it would be " the first time" > " never could get enough> first time

Mr. White

I usually don't comment on the studio albums, but I just wanted to say this. I like/love the new album a lot, but I am not a fan of Jim's recent "fuzz-tone" on some of his vocals as of late. "Penny For Your Thoughts" is a good song, but I find it a bit ... distracting. The over-driven, fuzzy, distorted, over-blown, staticy, rough sound is annoying to me. I like the smooth and simple and crisp approach to vocals instead. I don't like it all that much on his solo albums and don't want it on the MMJ albums. But hey, that's just me, I guess.

After one listen to it on my way to work, I like "I Never Could Get Enough" the most. I love this band and all they do and can't wait for my upcoming show in St. Louis in 11 days!!!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011