RECENT SETLISTS

Started by shumatec1012, Sep 10, 2021, 11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentjay

I whole heartedly agree with this thread. Berkeley was the only show of this tour I've caught/will catch, but I've been chasing an OBH opener for years so I'm satisfied with that alone.

Between the 11 shows I've seen over the years, I'm lucky enough to have caught many of the rarities some can only dream of catching (I Think I'm Going To Hell, Just One Thing, Cobra, O Is The One That Is Real, etc).

Bragging out of the way, I still have plenty of rarities I'm chasing (I'm looking at you, Librarian), but I'm not worried about never seeing them. I know the band knows its fanbase, and I know they will continue to sprinkle in the rarities just enough to keep us on our toes. This is a "wipe the dust off" tour, in addition to having two albums of new material to play, so I think they deserve some slack setlist-wise. The band is having fun again, and getting back into their groove. Their Summer 2022 setlists will be insane.

All of that said, if I never hear Victory Dance again, it will be too soon.

sillyboob

Quote from: silentjay on Sep 29, 2021, 12:00 AMI whole heartedly agree with this thread. Berkeley was the only show of this tour I've caught/will catch, but I've been chasing an OBH opener for years so I'm satisfied with that alone.

Between the 11 shows I've seen over the years, I'm lucky enough to have caught many of the rarities some can only dream of catching (I Think I'm Going To Hell, Just One Thing, Cobra, O Is The One That Is Real, etc).

Bragging out of the way, I still have plenty of rarities I'm chasing (I'm looking at you, Librarian), but I'm not worried about never seeing them. I know the band knows its fanbase, and I know they will continue to sprinkle in the rarities just enough to keep us on our toes. This is a "wipe the dust off" tour, in addition to having two albums of new material to play, so I think they deserve some slack setlist-wise. The band is having fun again, and getting back into their groove. Their Summer 2022 setlists will be insane.

All of that said, if I never hear Victory Dance again, it will be too soon.

That OBH opener into Touch Me Part 2 was nuts!!  What a way to kickstart a show!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

SplatSplatSplat

It's a bit unrealistic to expect them to play a bunch of older stuff when they have 2 albums of new material that hasn't been played live yet, but the concerns are valid re new vs older songs.  I would much prefer they incorporate more TF, AD and ISM into the mix, but that's the way it goes.  Those songs have been fading from the setlists since Circuital came out and likely will continue.

But I will give them props on the setlist variety.  They no longer seem to be rotating the same 3 openers and have abandoned OBH as the default closer.  And that goes for the rest of the song placement I've seen in these setlists.  A few years ago, I could go to a show and damn near predict what song was coming just based on keeping current with past shows.  I'm not seeing that these days and I love it.  Maybe it's the new songs, maybe they are just cutting loose more, idk, but I hope they keep it up (and maybe throw in some older stuff, too).

You need it.  That's for sure.

sillyboob

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Oct 06, 2021, 04:01 PMIt's a bit unrealistic to expect them to play a bunch of older stuff when they have 2 albums of new material that hasn't been played live yet, but the concerns are valid re new vs older songs.  I would much prefer they incorporate more TF, AD and ISM into the mix, but that's the way it goes.  Those songs have been fading from the setlists since Circuital came out and likely will continue.

But I will give them props on the setlist variety.  They no longer seem to be rotating the same 3 openers and have abandoned OBH as the default closer.  And that goes for the rest of the song placement I've seen in these setlists.  A few years ago, I could go to a show and damn near predict what song was coming just based on keeping current with past shows.  I'm not seeing that these days and I love it.  Maybe it's the new songs, maybe they are just cutting loose more, idk, but I hope they keep it up (and maybe throw in some older stuff, too).

I think that recent Relix article addresses the issues about the older songs falling out of favor.  Jim just isn't in that mindset anymore.  Twenty years is a long time.  I'm just happy they play what they do from the old stuff.  Especially at the multi-night runs.  If you want to hear the old stuff, a multi-night run is the way to do it.

Here's to OBH!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

RobRoy286

I seem to be alone in my excitement for the new stuff! I'm going to the Chicago run and would LOVE to hear all 21 new songs (WF2 and MMJ). They're still making incredible music. This just seems to happen with all live bands - there's this mysticism to "the old stuff" and the new stuff will just never be as good. I personally am looking forward to the new songs the most!

bhyman

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 06, 2021, 07:50 PMI seem to be alone in my excitement for the new stuff!
Nope. You are not alone. This band is still creating great music and I far prefer that to a tribute band.

mkterp

Quote from: bhyman on Oct 08, 2021, 07:46 AM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 06, 2021, 07:50 PMI seem to be alone in my excitement for the new stuff!
Nope. You are not alone. This band is still creating great music and I far prefer that to a tribute band.

I think most are in line with this opinion. Any setlist criticism (which has cooled after the last chunk of shows!) I think centers on a desire to have a few more earlier songs replace some of the Circuital/Waterfall songs (not the new songs) that we've gotten a lot of in recent tours. But Jim's quotes in the Relix article gives good perspective on his song choices.

RobRoy286

Quote from: mkterp on Oct 08, 2021, 09:54 AM
Quote from: bhyman on Oct 08, 2021, 07:46 AM

I think most are in line with this opinion. Any setlist criticism (which has cooled after the last chunk of shows!) I think centers on a desire to have a few more earlier songs replace some of the Circuital/Waterfall songs (not the new songs) that we've gotten a lot of in recent tours. But Jim's quotes in the Relix article gives good perspective on his song choices.
Yeah that's fair for sure. Circuital and the 2011 tour was my intro to the band. I LOVE first light, outta my system, day is coming, and slow slow tune is one of my favorite songs of all time. So I'm a little more keen on the "new" stuff than the old timers.

Just real excited to hear the new stuff.

I know this sounds crazy - but if you told me I could only choose one to hear at my next show, Never in the Real World or Steam Engine...I'd pick the new one. I just love that the story is still being written. Hell of a ride we're on!

mkterp

[/quote]Yeah that's fair for sure. Circuital and the 2011 tour was my intro to the band. I LOVE first light, outta my system, day is coming, and slow slow tune is one of my favorite songs of all time. So I'm a little more keen on the "new" stuff than the old timers.

Just real excited to hear the new stuff.

I know this sounds crazy - but if you told me I could only choose one to hear at my next show, Never in the Real World or Steam Engine...I'd pick the new one. I just love that the story is still being written. Hell of a ride we're on!
[/quote]

Agreed. I had such a blast at the Forest Hills shows overall, and the one thing that has truly stuck with me is "In Color." It feels like it might be an upper tier MMJ song, and to hear its debut was really special.