• Welcome to My Morning Jacket Forum. Please login or sign up.

My Morning Jacket album reviews

Started by Robert Cannon, Oct 18, 2021, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic



mkterp

Quote from: Hennings on Oct 19, 2021, 07:52 AMhttps://www.thelineofbestfit.com/reviews/albums/my-morning-jacket-my-morning-jacket-album-review

I was a little confused why In Color hadn't been mention in the previous reviews. Nice to see it called out as one of the 3 highlights in this one.





Robert Cannon



Robert Cannon


Come Closer

Pretty sure that's meant to be read if/when Phish is on pause, and I gotta say it's pretty on point unfortunately. The lyrics are bad, no 2 ways about it.

From that Paste article:
"But where something like It Still Moves or Circuital soars to untouchable heights..."

Lol. One of these is not like the other.


MMJTX

I kind of agree about the lyrics tbh, i enjoy more the songs that make you wonder what Jim is talking about rather than being spoonfed the obvious problems of the world.

But i do love the rock n roll
Anytime

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: MMJTX on Oct 21, 2021, 01:25 PMI kind of agree about the lyrics tbh, i enjoy more the songs that make you wonder what Jim is talking about rather than being spoonfed the obvious problems of the world.

But i do love the rock n roll

Agreed!
Lyrically not even close to his best
But musically and sonically this album is amazing (almost wish it was a full instrumental album)

dookie shoot bandit


Robert Cannon

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 21, 2021, 01:35 PM
Quote from: MMJTX on Oct 21, 2021, 01:25 PMI kind of agree about the lyrics tbh, i enjoy more the songs that make you wonder what Jim is talking about rather than being spoonfed the obvious problems of the world.

But i do love the rock n roll

Agreed!
Lyrically not even close to his best
But musically and sonically this album is amazing (almost wish it was a full instrumental album)

I've enjoyed the lyrics on the new stuff so far. Of course, I'm not really a lyrics first kinda guy but I do look for phrases and hooks in lyrics that draw me in and the new stuff does deliver in spades in that regard. 

About my only lyrical issue with an MMJ lyric was First Light, which is just too repetitive and simple for my taste.

I think Jim's lyrics are still coming from the same place as ever. However, instead of looking inward and dwelling on his personal depression and anxiety like he tended to so on the first few albums, he is turning his vision outward and pontificating more on resolving his trauma and sadness via love and connectedness, rather than on the sadness beneath his quest.

Hopefully, y'all understand what I'm trying to say!!

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 21, 2021, 01:03 PMPretty sure that's meant to be read if/when Phish is on pause, and I gotta say it's pretty on point unfortunately. The lyrics are bad, no 2 ways about it.

From that Paste article:
"But where something like It Still Moves or Circuital soars to untouchable heights..."

Lol. One of these is not like the other.

Not a terrible write up... but have to say I lose total respect of the journalist when they don't do their proper homework (and I like Paste).
Right after that line about It Still Moves and Circuital, the journalist references Lyrics to Wordless Chorus off of the "Okonokos" album.
C'MON MANNNNNNNN!!!

roffrs

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 21, 2021, 03:02 PM
Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 21, 2021, 01:03 PMthe journalist references Lyrics to Wordless Chorus off of the "Okonokos" album.
C'MON MANNNNNNNN!!!

On the subject of fact-checking, the Stereogum interview (which is otherwise amazing) refers to Dave Givan as Dave Gibbons. While it would be cool to see the Watchmen illustrator behind a drum kit, give Givan his due!
08Berkley|10Voodoo|11Roo,Tulsa|12Forecastle,RRocks*2|OBH1|15:RRocks,Portland|16:OKC|21NOLA,Denver*3

RobRoy286

Quote from: roffrs on Oct 21, 2021, 05:15 PM
Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 21, 2021, 03:02 PM
Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 21, 2021, 01:03 PMthe journalist references Lyrics to Wordless Chorus off of the "Okonokos" album.
C'MON MANNNNNNNN!!!

On the subject of fact-checking, the Stereogum interview (which is otherwise amazing) refers to Dave Givan as Dave Gibbons. While it would be cool to see the Watchmen illustrator behind a drum kit, give Givan his due!
how rude. We all know it's David Steven Givan Stevens