Anyone going to record the NYC shows?

Started by Im_The_Dude, Jul 11, 2010, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre_GivenToFly

I was in the poster line behind some guy on Tuesday who worked at t5. His security buddy came up to him and was talking about not letting someone in with their recording rig.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

joey_rogo

word on the street is that lynnzzz was unable to bring his gear in last night.

iLikeBeer

QuoteI was in the poster line behind some guy on Tuesday who worked at t5. His security buddy came up to him and was talking about not letting someone in with their recording rig.

Quoteword on the street is that lynnzzz was unable to bring his gear in last night.

I'm really hoping the boys are planning on releasing these shows as a box set or something as it is now sounding more and more as if that is the only way those of us not fortunate enough to be there can experience this awesomeness.  It sure seems that way now hearing that they aren't letting tapers bring in their equipment.  

The only question I have would be, is this a venue thing with not letting tapers bring in their equipment or is this the band saying no tapers for these shows?

mca

That is what I was thinking as well.  The rigs in front of the soundboard and also the professional mics pointing out at the audience on the front left and right parts of the stage would indicate to me that they are preparing to release this in some way.  I would hope it would be fully documented in a box set.

bo dereks tits

I would hope that they release this as well (of course).  But even if they do, it will be AWHILE before it gets released, so I really really hope that these recordings surface.  I only went to At Dawn but I did see a rig set up on the floor behind me.  

iLikeBeer

Yeah, that's the problem I see too is if indeed they do happen to release these shows, it could be a while.

Sometimes I wish they did something bands like Widespread and Phish offer and that is to pay for downloadable sbd recordings of every live show.  It'd be a nice easy way to make some extra income for the band as well.  

YouAre_GivenToFly

One of the big issues regarding an official release would be the covers they've played and the rights. I remember this being an issue in some of,the Pearl jam bootlegs.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

searchinbig

Great point Fly. I never thought of that. I was hoping the band would do some kind of downloadable format for shows but no luck yet. :'(
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

scott_bernstein

I am going tomorrow night to Evil Urges.....so is the word that taping has NOT been allowed at these shows?  Will I be unable to get inside with my gear????

I never even considered the fact that I wouldn't be able to record!

Has anyone successfully recorded in the open with mics on a stand?  And have the recordings surfaced?

Thanks!

Scott

jiveturkey

Scott:
I didn't even bring my gear for Z after hearing from lynnzzzz about ISM.
Tonight I will, howeveer if T5 says no they will have you coatcheck it.
It has happened to me there before. No big deal. Though after the crowd experience last night I don't think you will want to run on the floor. insanely packed and pushy.. yeah, VERY pushy.
Haven't seen any shows posted yet.
Well, I'll be there, directly in front of the sbd. rig or no.

cheers!

el_chode

QuoteOne of the big issues regarding an official release would be the covers they've played and the rights. I remember this being an issue in some of,the Pearl jam bootlegs.

It's just a money issue. This isn't nam, Walter. There are rules:

In the United States, while the right to use copyrighted music for making records for public distribution (for private use) is an exclusive right of the composer, the Copyright Act provides that once the music is so recorded, anyone else can record the composition/song without a negotiated license but on the payment of the statutory compulsory royalty. Thus, its use by different artists could lead to several separately-owned copyrighted 'sound recordings'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalties (scroll to Mechanicals)

So it's just a matter of them affording it.
I'm surrounded by assholes

tragicallyphish

Band can pay for Mechanical Royalties to record cover songs.

In Canada it cost about $0.09 per song per record and is done through a company called The Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd

In the states I believe you do the same through Harry Fox or BMI

el_chode

QuoteBand can pay for Mechanical Royalties to record cover songs.

In Canada it cost about $0.09 per song per record and is done through a company called The Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency Ltd

I think Harry Fox strictly handles mechanical rights. So it's just a matter of whether the band will be able to afford it. Otherwise there is absolutely NO way they would get away with covering a Prince song

Jernigan

Keep in mind that if it does get slated for an "official" release of some sorts, they wouldn't have to include the covers. It could get billed as structly the live versions of the albums. And just put those out......

Ya never know.....?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I think Harry Fox strictly handles mechanical rights. So it's just a matter of whether the band will be able to afford it. Otherwise there is absolutely NO way they would get away with covering a Prince song

how does phish get away with posting and selling shows the day after when there are covers involved?  isn't this the same thing?
they're not really trying to license the song or claim it as their own but rather pay it tribute.  

Chode, is prince an asshole about his material being covered or what?

el_chode

how does phish get away with posting and selling shows the day after when there are covers involved?  isn't this the same thing?
they're not really trying to license the song or claim it as their own but rather pay it tribute.  

Chode, is prince an asshole about his material being covered or what?

Prince and I have been in a YouTube battle for years ever since I uploaded a karaoke of my friend singing Purple Rain, then TurpleTain, then Wurple Wain, and then YouTube banned me until I complained again.

Phish gets away with it because they have the bankroll to get away with it. MMJ or ATO may not want to foot the bill.

====

In other news, my buddy said he saw trees there last night. Not the sticky kind, but the audio kind.

itrainmonkeys

very sad if there's no audio from this. whether taper or official. may have to find the best quality youtube vids and rip that audio to satisfy me lol

el_chode

Quotevery sad if there's no audio from this. whether taper or official. may have to find the best quality youtube vids and rip that audio to satisfy me lol

I've been keeping my eye on Archive and NYC Taper. Taper says they were scheduled for At Dawn. No links yet. Nothing on Archive.

I expect to get TTF, AD, and EU though

oistheone

I can confirm I was next to a taper for Z. He said he recorded the entire set. Whether or not this taping surfaces, I thank him for his efforts.

I've been praying every night that a taping from Monday will surface.

el_chode

QuoteI can confirm I was next to a taper for Z. He said he recorded the entire set. Whether or not this taping surfaces, I thank him for his efforts.

I've been praying every night that a taping from Monday will surface.

Ok excellent. So is ISM the only un-taped night, or at least the only one unconfirmed?