It Still Moves - gimme your review

Started by Al_Hollingsworth, Jul 21, 2003, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Hollingsworth

Have you heard the new album?  If so what's it sound like... heavy?  soft?  Better than At Dawn?...

Gimme your review!!!! ::)

otter

Well for one, the album is not out yet as I'm sure you're well aware, however that won't keep me from commenting on what is going to be on it.
I can already see four songs out of the 10 or so becoming favorites for years to come (if not more).
For example, Magheeta...if by the end of this song...you aren't doing some version of the jig...you just ain't doin' it right.
This is a song that after having listened to it 400 times, I realized that it has a personality all of it's own...It's a going out song..much like...Night Life (the Cars), For Those About To Rock (AC/DC). and even more for those who do actually go out...it is a live extravaganza.

The second is Dance Floors. This is in my opinion the most Rollin' Stonesy kick ass sounding thing since Brown Sugar I have ever herd. This is what the Black Crowes had originally set out to do, but never accomplished. Johnny affims his spot amongst the Jimmy Page's , Keith Richards' as the this is how I'm playing it tonite guys..like it or not..........and we always do!!!!

Thirdly, There's just one thing. I'm hardpressed to say that this isn't my favorite song on what will be the new album. It's been haunting O for months as well as me. It's a great metaphor song..i have thought four or five meanings in the few months I have listened..knowing my luck, none of them are the real meaning, but tell that to me on those days...

otter

Sorry folks, but I knew i was getting wordy and figured I'd better hit post before I lost it all after having rambled on too long...bear with me..I'm almost done.

My fourth favorite...and not five sorry is Steam Engine. I just posted recently about how War Begun really did it for me in all aspects of the MMJ scene.. This is also one of the songs that I categorize in that group. It is at once slow..heavy..melodic..spiritual..They don't balls out (pardon me ladies) until the end...but they do. This jam is yet another of MMJ famous endings to their songs. So much so, that often I am afraid I am disturbing my neighbors. I am sorry, but it is worth it.

Last but certainly not least is One Big Holiday. Although, to the MMJ faithful, it is not all that new....It certainly is not lacking any energy now is it? I think this is a song that many of the great rock and rollers of the world smile...and gladly pass the hat..I feel like this song has been around since My Morning Jacket's 1978 dubut album...sorry..tangent. Oh, before I get back off the tangent...mark my words, some cool band years from now will cover this song..probably more than one.
Anyway, how can people not listen to that, studio or live and not say, "that is the coolest rock and roll I have heard for years"..good luck boys..you're earning it.

hipkink

Otter summed it up pretty damn well. But there are two acoustic numbers on the new record that are heavenly. First there's "Golden," which reminds me of Jim Croce at his best. It also kind of has a Harry Nilsson "I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City" feel. Anyway - it's gorgeous. And the last track - the name escapes me - anyway. Soft - nostalgic - beautiful. But all in all, the new record definitely captures more of their live energy than the previous two. It's great to see a band that doesn't keep regurgitating all the same crap. Each album has it's own personality. This one's is a little schizo in the best way possible. All in all - it's amazing...
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

Oz

I haven't heard the album versions yet, but I have to admit that I don't really like "Rollin'Back" and "Mahgeeta". They're too... loose. Not intense, like the best MMJ-stuff, I think. And I kind of fear the album will be mainly like that. That is, by the way, also the reason I like At Dawn a little less than The Tennessee Fire, wich is much more sad and intense. But again, I haven't even heard the album, so what am I rambling about? And I do like "One Big Holiday", "Steam Engine" and, as otter stated correctly, "There's just one thing" an awful lot, so we'll see. Damn, why isn't it September yet?
I'm ready when you are

downdownyoubringmedown

The album is brilliant. I'm noticing that the above reviews list their favorite songs as ones that have been known to the MMJ board for awhile. It's true, the first few times you listen to the album, they're the ones that jump out at you. They've captured the live essence of these tracks brilliantly. However, the more I listen, the more I appreciate songs like (as mentioned above) Golden, Master Plan, and Easy Morning Rebel and One In The Same. And how about that Black Sabbath-style rock-out in Run Thru? Love it!

The only weaker track I'd say is "Rollin' Back". The recorded version just doesn't capture the essence of the song like the WFPR Live Lunch version.

Overall, a classic album that will be impossible to ignore. MMJ will be playing mid-level venues by the end of their touring for this LP, so catch 'em next time round before they blow up!

Al Hollingsworth

Arrghhh.. it's killing me.  I've yet to hear any of the new stuff.. live or not!  Still the echo on Jim's vocals?  I'm a huge fan of both the electric guitar driven stuff and the acoustic and it sounds like its a good mix.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Dude,
send me an email, and I'll hook you up with my FTP server...I've got live versions of the new songs...

MMMMMM....FTP
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there