Main Menu

New Music

Started by shumatec1012, May 16, 2023, 10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shumatec1012

It's nice to see a couple new songs enter the repertoire. It's likely these will be tracks off the new album ( late fall release??)

Be My Mountain

Tell Me How to Move

MMJTX

Just Tell Me How to Move was, i'd say 'good', first listen too, didn't hit me too hard but I need to listen a few more times. But I loved Be My Mountain first listen, the steel pedal guitar is always a big hit in my book. Beautiful song for sure.
Trying to decide if i want to listen to any more new songs or wait to hear it all first on the new album.
Anytime

RobRoy286

I absolutely love Tell Me How. Groovy 70s rock, along the lines of Least Expected.

Nikkogino

I'll always be there for MMJ, but I have to say that if I heard these on the radio as a different band, I'd probably turn it. 

RobRoy286

Should we be expecting a new album this year?

Lonndown27

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jun 15, 2023, 12:54 PMShould we be expecting a new album this year?

Unless we hear something by July, i think NO is the definitive answer and thank God.
BE MY MOUNTAIN was just about the worst thing I've ever heard Jim James write.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

MMJ2021 hasn't aged perfectly, but it's aged well enough as a vehicle for them to keep touring with some fresh bits thrown in.
That's a sad future.
I want them to be able to continue making top notch music, not some filler jams and granola mid tempo Cameron Crowe soundtrack fodder, we need MMJ to be BOLD...experimental....I will always follow this band, wherever they dock up and set sail, however I'd rather go without new records If they become a formula.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 19, 2023, 04:53 PMMMJ2021 hasn't aged perfectly, but it's aged well enough as a vehicle for them to keep touring with some fresh bits thrown in.
That's a sad future.
I want them to be able to continue making top notch music, not some filler jams and granola mid tempo Cameron Crowe soundtrack fodder, we need MMJ to be BOLD...experimental....I will always follow this band, wherever they dock up and set sail, however I'd rather go without new records If they become a formula.
Damn dude...

I started following MMJ in 2011...and the past year or two have been, by far, the most fun and exciting years to be a fan. Setlist variety, interaction with fans, live releases, studio re-releases, and getting two new studio albums in two years was so awesome (with another one coming soon). I mean in the 7-year span of 2012-2019, we only got one Jacket album.

It was rough thinking Jacket might just hang it up during the Waterfall/JimSolo era. They have been noticeably rejuvenated since the Red Rocks show in 2019. I feel like the present and the future are brighter than they've ever been.

And I think the music they've been making the past few albums is plenty bold and experimental. Be My Mountain is a simple country/folk pop song, nothing more and nothing less. Totally understandable if it's not your jam, but it's only one song. Do you like Tell Me How To Move?

MMJTX

couldn't agree more RobRoy! It's wild to me that just 3-4 years ago people were CONVINCED that this band was done, and they have said themselves how close they were to being done, and to where we are now is such a gift that should be cherished greatly. They are doing all the things we as fans have asked for with the set lists and expanding songs and getting  new material, getting live releases, One Big Holiday's, etc. etc.
I personally loved Be My Mountain, think it's beautiful.

I will be the first to say I believe that some of Jim's writing has become more simplistic (lack of a better word, not sure how to describe it) but as long as they get up there and give it all they got, which they do night in and night out I will always praise them.
Anytime

Lucius

I can't say either of these songs really blew my mind, but maybe they're not totally finished and the band want to feel them out on stage and see what happens. Mountain is nice, I was in Portugal last month lying by the pool listening to it and it's a pretty song. Lyrics are a bit slushy for my taste but I really like the guitar work on it. I feel like Tell Me How could grow on me, kind of reminds me of Magic Bullet. Perfectly fine but maybe just missing something. It needs to go somewhere. The band will work it out I'm sure!

The first time I heard a recording of Lucky to Be Alive I'm pretty sure my thoughts were WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, and I love that song now! Not gonna write anything off until they've been doing it live for a while!
it wouldn't be a party without you

Lonndown27

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jun 21, 2023, 11:39 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 19, 2023, 04:53 PMMMJ2021 hasn't aged perfectly, but it's aged well enough as a vehicle for them to keep touring with some fresh bits thrown in.
That's a sad future.
Damn dude...

I started following MMJ in 2011...and the past year or two have been, by far, the most fun and exciting years to be a fan. Setlist variety, interaction with fans, live releases, studio re-releases, and getting two new studio albums in two years was so awesome (with another one coming soon). I mean in the 7-year span of 2012-2019, we only got one Jacket album.

It was rough thinking Jacket might just hang it up during the Waterfall/JimSolo era. They have been noticeably rejuvenated since the Red Rocks show in 2019. I feel like the present and the future are brighter than they've ever been.

And I think the music they've been making the past few albums is plenty bold and experimental. Be My Mountain is a simple country/folk pop song, nothing more and nothing less. Totally understandable if it's not your jam, but it's only one song. Do you like Tell Me How To Move?

Tell Me How To Move i'll listen to again, still not sticking in my ears.
Of course, agreed with all of how this has been the most exciting time for the band and us fans w/ live stuff since 2012, but i'm just being realistic about what they're becoming as a studio band...as a songwriting band, I'm worried. They've got around 200 songs they can use already in their back catalog, but I would rather they keep making new, bold music.

We can't argue about the band's last few albums beginning to settle into a sound...that's just a fact.
Sometimes it appears if I criticize any facet of the band, it must mean I hate them, I'm depressed with life, near suicidal, hate Jim James, etc :rolleyes:  :grin: 
all it means is i don't like these two new songs and really want them to push themselves in the studio.
That's it.
Be My Mountain is literally an EMPTY song...that's about the worst thing I can say about music...EMPTY...i feel nothing from that, plus, it doesn't feel like Jim feels anything singing it or playing it, either.
Just my feeling about one little thing.
Don't paint me with one brush.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 25, 2023, 06:45 PM
That's a sad future.
Damn dude...

Of course, agreed with all of how this has been the most exciting time for the band and us fans w/ live stuff since 2012, but i'm just being realistic about what they're becoming as a studio band...as a songwriting band, I'm worried. They've got around 200 songs they can use already in their back catalog, but I would rather they keep making new, bold music.

We can't argue about the band's last few albums beginning to settle into a sound...that's just a fact.
Sometimes it appears if I criticize any facet of the band, it must mean I hate them, I'm depressed with life, near suicidal, hate Jim James, etc :rolleyes:  :grin: 
all it means is i don't like these two new songs and really want them to push themselves in the studio.
That's it.
Be My Mountain is literally an EMPTY song...that's about the worst thing I can say about music...EMPTY...i feel nothing from that, plus, it doesn't feel like Jim feels anything singing it or playing it, either.

Different strokes. I'm definitely not projecting anything about your mental health or any of that - I take that stuff very seriously.

It happens with any band (or any thing really), when you get REALLY into it, you start relying on new things and variety to maintain the excitement.

Going with a few first timers to the Newport show...I remember the feeling of my first show, and how I was mostly excited to get songs that are taken for granted 12 years later (Wordless Chorus, Highly Suspicious, Black Metal, etc). Even I will look at setlists and see "new" songs that I overlook. But man...that Newport show was full of classics, and even still, Love Love Love and Least Expected were highlights of the night for me.

As far as boldness of studio albums or current songwriting...man, I fucking love Waterfall 2 and Self Titled. Devil's in the Details, while not my favorite by any means, is unlike they've ever put on an album. Least Expected is INCREDIBLE. I mean, it's a 70s R&B rocker that somehow is played on classical guitar and pedal steel? Who does that?! Never in the Real World gives me Tom Petty classic-rock vibes that Jacket absolutely own in the modern rock music world.

I love this band so much. The Newport show was soul cleansing. It was the most unpredictable a show has ever felt for me. They're playing with so much freedom and energy. I was texting my Jacket concert buddy a week before the show...no shit, I mentioned - "they better play The Bear,"  "Open with Phone, you cowards!,"  "Always love the deep cuts, but give me the bangers too for the first timers...that being, said, plz play Cobra - the ultimate deep-cut banger." They answered ALL of those demands  :grin:

It's just such an exciting time to be a fan. There is a different energy. 2015-2017 it was clear that they were operating because they had to. 2019-present, it's clear that they're operating because they WANT to. It's a beautiful thing. Also, it's not like they're shoving new material down our throats at shows, at least not as much as they did during past album cycles.

God I love this band so fucking much.

RobRoy286

Side note...

My buddy's girlfriend hadn't seen them before. She doesn't know much of their music. Her favorite song is Wordless Chorus. For the first time ever, I was hoping for that song more than anything. I told her, "it's the only song that they've played at literally every show this tour - they'll play it." Then, of course, it's the ONLY show they don't play it  :grin: . Was a bummer too, they ended OBH at 10:45 and I thought for sure they would get Wordless in before curfew. Oh well!

Lonndown27

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jun 26, 2023, 11:49 AM
That's a sad future.
Damn dude...

That's it.

Different strokes. I'm definitely not projecting anything about your mental health or any of that - I take that stuff very seriously.

It happens with any band (or any thing really), when you get REALLY into it, you start relying on new things and variety to maintain the excitement.

Going with a few first timers to the Newport show...I remember the feeling of my first show, and how I was mostly excited to get songs that are taken for granted 12 years later (Wordless Chorus, Highly Suspicious, Black Metal, etc). Even I will look at setlists and see "new" songs that I overlook. But man...that Newport show was full of classics, and even still, Love Love Love and Least Expected were highlights of the night for me.

As far as boldness of studio albums or current songwriting...man, I fucking love Waterfall 2 and Self Titled. Devil's in the Details, while not my favorite by any means, is unlike they've ever put on an album. Least Expected is INCREDIBLE. I mean, it's a 70s R&B rocker that somehow is played on classical guitar and pedal steel? Who does that?! Never in the Real World gives me Tom Petty classic-rock vibes that Jacket absolutely own in the modern rock music world.

I love this band so much. The Newport show was soul cleansing. It was the most unpredictable a show has ever felt for me. They're playing with so much freedom and energy. I was texting my Jacket concert buddy a week before the show...no shit, I mentioned - "they better play The Bear,"  "Open with Phone, you cowards!,"  "Always love the deep cuts, but give me the bangers too for the first timers...that being, said, plz play Cobra - the ultimate deep-cut banger." They answered ALL of those demands  :grin:

It's just such an exciting time to be a fan. There is a different energy. 2015-2017 it was clear that they were operating because they had to. 2019-present, it's clear that they're operating because they WANT to. It's a beautiful thing. Also, it's not like they're shoving new material down our throats at shows, at least not as much as they did during past album cycles.

1000 % agreed!!

Come Closer

There may be more excitement in the setlists and better relationships/energy, but the playing just feels very rehearsed/polished at this stage. Legacy act vibes. 2015 smokes any touring year since imo.

walterfredo

Quote from: Come Closer on Jul 11, 2023, 08:03 PMThere may be more excitement in the setlists and better relationships/energy, but the playing just feels very rehearsed/polished at this stage. Legacy act vibes. 2015 smokes any touring year since imo.

After reading this post, had to take a quick peek at some of your previous posts. As expected, almost entirely negativity and complaints. Must be exhausting.

#bestlegacyactever

ranyart

Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 12, 2023, 11:46 AM
Quote from: Come Closer on Jul 11, 2023, 08:03 PMThere may be more excitement in the setlists and better relationships/energy, but the playing just feels very rehearsed/polished at this stage. Legacy act vibes. 2015 smokes any touring year since imo.

After reading this post, had to take a quick peek at some of your previous posts. As expected, almost entirely negativity and complaints. Must be exhausting.

#bestlegacyactever

I have zero issue with "rehearsed/polished" and in fact I would suggest that we should expect exactly that after nearly 20 years being together with this lineup because after all being a top notch musician is all about rehearsing and practicing for hours to get it right night after night.  Not to mention all of the virus mess downtime where musicians had nothing else to do other than write and practice.

I really enjoyed the two shows we were able to catch on the current tour and we're digging the archive.org recordings from those shows and the others that we weren't able to attend.  We're looking forward to the next leg of the tour and of course our three night run in Chicago.  Enjoy what you can!  :beer:

Nikkogino

As much as I think the last album and new songs are much more bland and less inspired, the live show has continued to improve.  I've seen MMJ live since '04, and their shows continue to get better in my opinion.

Woody

I could not disagree more. I believe we are currently witnessing peak live Jacket and I'm confident this trend will continue. There's some really special stuff going on with this band right now and Jim's message yesterday solidifies this for me.

Woody

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jun 26, 2023, 11:49 AM
That's a sad future.
Damn dude...

That's it.

Totally on board with this post!  :thumbsup: