Q & A with MMJ After Advanced Screening of Return To Thunderdome in Nashville

Started by Mr. White, May 12, 2023, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Four days ago, MMJ posted this on Discord. I entered the lottery for a chance to get lucky and have my name drawn to attend this special event, but I did not win. I had seen someone post that they had gotten a confirmation e-mail saying she was lucky enough to be going. I posted that I had not gotten the e-mail and would not be going. I know this person a little since she lives in Louisville and follows a lot of the local musicians I go to see and support up in Louisville (plus, she's a big, big MMJ fan). She reached out to me and said the person she was originally taking as her +1 guest couldn't make it, so she offered the opportunity to me! I work half days on Saturday, but I should get off work just in time to make the drive down to Nashville and get there a few minutes before the screening starts (hopefully there won't be a traffic jam). I'll report back.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Lonndown27

Quote from: Mr. White on May 12, 2023, 09:43 PM

Four days ago, MMJ posted this on Discord. I entered the lottery for a chance to get lucky and have my name drawn to attend this special event, but I did not win. I had seen someone post that they had gotten a confirmation e-mail saying she was lucky enough to be going. I posted that I had not gotten the e-mail and would not be going. I know this person a little since she lives in Louisville and follows a lot of the local musicians I go to see and support up in Louisville (plus, she's a big, big MMJ fan). She reached out to me and said the person she was originally taking as her +1 guest couldn't make it, so she offered the opportunity to me! I work half days on Saturday, but I should get off work just in time to make the drive down to Nashville and get there a few minutes before the screening starts (hopefully there won't be a traffic jam). I'll report back.

Take it off if possible! You gotta be there my guy, Mr. White!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Mr. White

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 12, 2023, 09:59 PMTake it off if possible! You gotta be there my guy, Mr. White!

I wish I could. My co-worker (boss in training) said she would've come in to cover me for the day, but she has a farm to take care of and just can't. Google Maps said I would have a 1 hr. & 45 min. drive, and I'll have basically 15 minutes to spare. However, I speed regularly and will be traveling between 80 to 85 miles an hour until I get in the thick of traffic just outside of Nashville. I should be ok ... I hope.

walterfredo

I bet this was rad. I got selected and attended the Circuital listening party and Q&A with Jim and Bo in LA years ago and it was amazing fun. Probably 50ish attendees. 

Mr. White

It was a very special event to have been lucky enough to have attended. I'll post some pictures from before it started of the seating and of me, my friend Erica who let me be her +1, clarkwork (Jeff), and his wife (Christy), and some of Jim's new Gibson guitar and case. I'll also try to describe it a little too.

Mr. White

I may have to give more details later, so for now, here's a quick list of what happened.

Documentary was about 30 minutes long.

Bo was instrumental in coming up with the project in the first place and carrying it through with the director and video producer (those two guys were seated at the front on stools with the band and the interviewer from Rolling Stone for the Q & A after the screening).

Bo said it would be available for public viewing on YouTube for a "Watch Party" next Tuesday, May 16th (one day after it would become available digitally for those who purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition from the One Big Family fan club - looks like you can't download it from there but can watch it over and over ... I guess, and it wouldn't be for sale because their intention wasn't to make money from it but to get the story out there and possibly be an instrument to introduce others to the band).

Q & A was 55 minutes long with the vast majority of the time filled with pre-written questions for the band by the Rolling Stone reporter and time at the end for about 4 questions from the audience (I asked the second question, and Carl and Jim and the director answered mine).

They talked a lot about how it was a super special bonding experience for the new formation of the band since it wasn't too long after Carl and Bo joined. They also said that making the documentary and watching it several times and even the event yesterday were special and emotional for them and that they feel re-newed by having gone through some tough times when they almost broke up after the 2017 tour.

They filmed the Q & A with one or two professional cameras (don't know when or if that will be used, but it was hosted by Rolling Stone, and a representative of Gibson Guitars was there with Jim's guitar pictured above, and she even started the whole thing with some quick comments before the screening ... so, who knows).

Cameron

ChiefOKONO

APR

I'm glad you and Clarkwork got to go to this cool event.   Thanks so much for the updates!

sillyboob

Great info, thanks for the update.  Also so cool that you & Jeff got to check this out!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

Nice Mr White made it.
Watched it in full yesterday and really loved it.
Kinda cool how RUN THRU was actually supposed to end the show.
Very interesting that BO took the lead here.
They need to put out a 9 hour DVD of just oodles of footage from 1999-2023...all of it.
We'll buy it.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

wheelhousetunes

ranyart

This is all too fun for words!  Thanks for posting the pictures and commentary John, and I'm super happy that you and the others were able to participate.  We're looking forward to seeing the documentary!!!

That guitar is fucking beautiful...

Mr. White

Premieres May 23, 2023  #MyMorningJacket #Bonnaroo
Available on YouTube for a limited time. For unlimited access and other benefits, join One Big Family:  https://fanlink.to/OneBigFamily

My Morning Jacket 2023 World Tour tickets: https://fanlink.to/MMJTour

Pre-order/save 'MMJ Live Vol. 3 Bonnaroo 2004': https://atorecords-ffm.com/live3bonnaroo

Stay up to date with the latest from My Morning Jacket: https://linktr.ee/mymorningjacket

Follow My Morning Jacket: https://biglink.to/FollowMMJ

#MyMorningJacket #ReturnToThunderdome #Bonnaroo

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Mr. White on May 14, 2023, 09:36 AMThey talked a lot about how it was a super special bonding experience for the new formation of the band since it wasn't too long after Carl and Bo joined.

Correct, the current lineup, now with Bo and Carl joining Jim, Tom,and Patrick, played live together for the first time at Workplay Theater in Birmingham, AL on Jan 16th, 2004.

After playing 40 shows in just 150 days, they became legend the Thunderdome show at Bonnaroo on June 12th, 2004. 

From Jan 16th thru Feb 7th, they played 11 shows in 23 days across three countries and two continents.

Over the next 90 days, the newly formed five piece took a break from the road. But they must have gotten restless so they flew to Australia to play 5 shows in 8 days in early March.

In the immediate run-up to the Thunderdome, they hit the road hard, playing 24 shows in 34 days. From coast to coast, from southern California driving up through the great NW to Vancouver playing shows all along the way.

They then drove cross country, through Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Ontario, Massachusetts, and then back to New York......playing just a single  show in each of those states.... basically driving and playing their way across the country while still getting to know each other.

They had to be juiced to play that 2004 Bonnaroo set. Great doc!!

ChiefOKONO

ranyart

Just finished watching with Betsy and we're both totally blown away!  It's really fun seeing all of the visuals especially the weather shots and of course the boys themselves.  Hats off to the folks that hung in and endured the rain to watch it too because I am sure it was a total mess to deal with while camping.

Pretty ironic that this was released at essentially the same time Tina Turner passed.  RIP Tina and peace and love to her family, friends and fans.

sillyboob

Quote from: ranyart on May 24, 2023, 05:05 PMJust finished watching with Betsy and we're both totally blown away!  It's really fun seeing all of the visuals especially the weather shots and of course the boys themselves.  Hats off to the folks that hung in and endured the rain to watch it too because I am sure it was a total mess to deal with while camping.

Pretty ironic that this was released at essentially the same time Tina Turner passed.  RIP Tina and peace and love to her family, friends and fans.

I found myself looking at the shots of the sky in the background too.  It looked crazy ominous more than a few times.  That was a lot of fun to watch.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

PittsburghGuy

Quote from: Mr. White on May 23, 2023, 08:09 PM

Available on YouTube for a limited time. For unlimited access and other benefits, join One Big Family:  https://fanlink.to/OneBigFamily

I missed the YouTube Stream.  I'm a member of One Big Family, but I don't see any links to watch the vid on the One Big Family portal - anyone know if there is one? 

I see this page for digital copy which lists the below 'benefits' - anyone know if to watch the documentary film at this point, one has to purchase this digital copy of the live album and then it gives credentials to also watch the video? 

rkwedge

Quote from: PittsburghGuy on May 29, 2023, 12:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on May 23, 2023, 08:09 PM

I missed the YouTube Stream.  I'm a member of One Big Family, but I don't see any links to watch the vid on the One Big Family portal - anyone know if there is one? 

I see this page for digital copy which lists the below 'benefits' - anyone know if to watch the documentary film at this point, one has to purchase this digital copy of the live album and then it gives credentials to also watch the video? 
I believe you are correct, the only way to watch it right now anyway, is to buy the digital deluxe then you will be able to watch it on your One Big Family page. I have to think it will become available again once the album drops on June 9th.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes