<i>It Still Moves</i>-Top 40 of 21st Century in GQ

Started by JMC, Sep 30, 2003, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMC

The latest issue of GQ magazine lists It Still Moves as one of the top 40 albums of the twenty-first century.

hipkink

GQ? Are they actually becoming as hip as they claim to be?
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

fakeplasticspivey

QuoteGQ? Are they actually becoming as hip as they claim to be?

No, they sure aren't.  I was misfortunate enough to forget my copy of Q magazine for a road trip and needed a magazine to check out, and the only thing I thought looked remotely interesting was the latest GQ (I had never read one before...)  The first article I saw was a thoroughly annoying piece on the "Neo-Nerd", questioning why people are beginning to dress like Weezer, Radiohead, and Mos Def, and essentially why people like and idolize these celebrities.  The writer berated them (as well as about 50 other incredible artists) and then began talking about how Justin Timberlake and Eminem were not nerds.  
I hate when magazines like that try to sway the fashion-conscious masses into caring only about the latest trends and not about talent itself.  

Did anyone else read the article?  I wanted to vomit.

tigrl

don't know..haven't read the article... and mag articles often piss me off..well sometimes anyways... (ya, guess it's a bit too soon to make such a statement..could be a big compliment I guess...was it sarcastic?)

ah...man, I'm deeply ashamed! I have loved My Morning Jacket since the first moment saw em on stage around a year ago. but ya know...all this time, I've seen em live 4 times now...always a mindblowing experience! but still somehow (why? dunno...all/most of my $ tends to go to shows often...) never got around to buying any of their albums. (always have a long list of ones to buy....little by little)

ya know, I think I was secretly afraid that maybe MMJ tho constantly constantly touted as one of my fave current bands...(with Grandaddy, Snow Patrol, Neil Young's janking my chain these days and with his newest album...a few others...the Warlocks, etc...) might just be one of those bands to put out the best darn show ya could imagine...but what if the album isn't quite as good? (I've had that with a few bands now...the Soundtrack of Our Lives for one...)

but...I finally get to listen to It Still Moves...and my mouth is hanging open, and I am so touched! Man, it is just Brilliant! My first feeling and thought...first song....like a cathedral almost..that feeling. Wow! Man, this is soooo beautiful...(I may just cry....) :o

Thank you Jim James...you're amazing! and to the whole band of course. (oh man, I deprived myself all this time.....)

Oz

"one of the top 40 albums of the twenty-first century"

Hmm, you know, it's nice, but what the fuck does it mean? What kind of an idiot do you have to be to make a top 40 of twenty-first century albums in 2003? And that article about neo-nerds sounds stupid too. If there's any artist I would call a 'nerd', it's Eminem... Weezer, Radiohead, Mos Def: they rule 'cuz they remain who they are. They're true. That's what makes 'em real, important artists. Eminem is a crybaby with a misplaced ego... Ehm, sorry, I let myself go there for a while. But yeah, that GQ sounds like a really dumb magazine indeed.
I'm ready when you are