Loretta Lynn and MMJ . . .

Started by thebigbang, May 11, 2004, 12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

So I've been listening to Jack White's arrangements on the new Loretta Lynn song titled "Portland, Oregon" and I would swear he was listening to MMJ when he came up with this.  Sounds like it would fit right with It Still Moves or At Dawn.

At least they must be drinking from the same well, or still.  Listen up and see if you hear it too.

http://www.bandbuilder.com/lorettalynn/index.php?ref_code=E50258
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

peanut butter puddin surprise

Yo, I've been wanting to buy that CD since I heard some of the tracks on the radio...now that you mention it, it DOES sound a bit MMJ inspired.

I couldn't help but think it also sounded like mellow White Stripes with LL singing...shoot, good music has common threads, why not?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

thebigbang

Yep. And I was referring specifically to the first 30 seconds or so of Portland, Oregon sounding eerily like MMJ.  Near the end of that same song there is a part that sounds like it came strait off of a Led Zeppelin album.

Jack White is borrowing from the best of the best.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

wordawg

Loretta Lynn does Zepp!
Mind boggling, especially for the line-dancers in our community.
the future is Ginger

SMc55

QuoteLoretta Lynn does Zepp!
Mind boggling, especially for the line-dancers in our community.

Many line dancers like a good bit of zepp, I can assure you  ;)

wordawg

Many line dancers like a good bit of zepp, I can assure you  ;)

Cat. Bag. Out of.
the future is Ginger

MMJ_fanatic

somehow I can't picture boot scootin' to "out on the tiles"............
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

SMc55

Cat. Bag. Out of.

oops!
You should see me go in my blue suede tasselled boots  :D

btw, I bought the blue seude ones in 2002. I thought it appropriate on the 25th anniversary of Elvis's death.

dwight

I just heard the Oregon song today on WFPK and I agree that parts of it remind me of MMJ.  I guaranteee Jack W's listend to some MMJ before...=)

thebigbang

QuoteI just heard the Oregon song today on WFPK and I agree that parts of it remind me of MMJ.  I guaranteee Jack W's listend to some MMJ before...=)

Last week I read several reviews of the new LL album at the Metacritic website, and one reviewer said the intro part before the singing begins sounded like Radiohead. There's a lot of people exploring and borrowing sounds. As long as it sounds great, I don't know that it matters who puts it together. Some do it much better than others, though!

Another review mentioned the Led Zeppelin riff near the end, so someone else caught that. It's very, very Zep worthy.

peanut butter puddin surprise

jimmy page should be so proud...

yep, that there portland song is the killer.  the thing I think of first is old fashioned country music, due to the incredible voice of LL.  the second thing I think of is...how did Jack White's first meeting with LL go?

Jack:    Ms. Lynn, you rock!  I'm your biggest fan.

LL:      Well sonny, I'm happy you agree.  Say, who the hell are you, anyways?  ;)  
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ntertayneME

I read in Rolling Stone that Loretta fixed chicken and dumplings for Jack and Meg when they came to visit her.I'd love to have been a fly on the wall.