Main Menu

Time Warp

Started by johnconaway, Nov 08, 2004, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Okay, if we put our boys in a time machine and sent them back to '74, do you think they'd be popular?  Totally theoretical here...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

Okay, so I have a few questions before I can hypothesize:
1.  Would they know that they had been sent back in time to 1974?
2.  Would other people know that they had been sent back in time to 1974?
3.  Would they meet their parents?
4.  What would they be wearing?

Also, I think purely by virtue of the fact that they would be able to predict events would make them be popular. If they had enough prep time they could win lotteries and horse races and everything. (Assuming that they have an awareness of what's happened...)

Now, the question is, would their albums be hits with the 70s kids.  Hm.  Don't know.  But I just double-checked the lyrics, and there's nothing to indicate that this album was made outside of that time...
...aside from the fact that it's a cd...

1.  no
2.  no
3.  no
4.  same stuff as now

I'm thinking in a musical context, going up against Zep, the Stones, etc.  I think they'd hold up quite well...just MHO...

EC

Oooooh, interesting.  You through me a loop with your answer to #1.

(I was just being silly, by the way, I kind of got what you were drivin' at.  :))

tee hee, that's great!  imagine a duet with Iggy...

EC

Well, of course, he would be in the band.  Somehow...  maybe as a guest/pal/hangin'/jammer.  I mean, he has the hair, and he's pretty good musically.  :)

maybe even a tour with the Stooges?

EC

No, because then I'd have to die.   :o

(A happy death.)

QuoteNo, because then I'd have to die.   :o

(A happy death.)

to quote another thread title.......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

;)

dogandponyshow

There is no reason to think that would not be equally as great then than they are now.  They rock...

And I may be pushing it a little.....but I think it is time to move a little forward and deal with what has happened in the political arena.  Nothing wrong with not having strong opinions but the main focus of this forum is talk music. I see the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! and it bums me out but we all have to make the best of it either way. My first and last comment on the political ramifications to come in the future.

D.

Jellyfish

I think their music would have been very popular 74.MMJ was heavily influenced by that late sixties/early seventies sound anyway.

But I am glad they chose now to emerge,personally,they came into my life at just the right time.I needed a new voice and sound. ;)  
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

MMJ_fanatic

I, for one would be very upset as I would be too young to get into the venues they're playing >:(.  sure they would fit in tho'  :)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

If Jim had Jimmy Page in his band!  Then Hell YES they would be the hottest band to ever rock your ears.  So the answer to the question would be yes (as long as the first thing Jim does is go steal Jimmy to rock alongside the current members.)  Imagine how the 74 kids would like the Oregan Trail Experience.  
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

and imagine how different our perception of Led Zepplin would be.  They would be like Guns N Roses.  This does not mean in any way that the 74 MMJ would be our Velvet Revolver.
There's Still Time.........

Chills

Only 2 years to wait and they can join Neil Young's legendary tour with Crazy Horse supporting Zuma. What a line-up that would be! Hey it can still happen, maybe a small club tour! Somebody call Neil to ask what he thinks about it! I'm getting really excited here  :D

Jellyfish

QuoteSomebody call Neil to ask what he thinks about it! I'm getting really excited here

I often wonder if NY has even heard them.Neil has always said he dosen't listen to anything.But he was at the Roo 03 with them,maybe he heard their set.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

I'm quite certain Mr. Young has a cadre of folks who find his name mentioned in any kind of media, and there have been a lot of references/comparisions to him and his music, so I'm guessing he knows about the boys.

I can recall a day in the past when everyone kept saying "he sounds like Neil Young" and that seemed like too easy a comparision.  A good one, no less, but Jim's voice is somewhere between Wayne Coyne's and Neil's with a jigger of outrageous beauty thrown in for good measure.  I haven't seen either Mr. Coyne or Mr. Young (for some unknown reason) live, so I can't comment on how "real" their voices are.  Judging from Live Rust, Mr. Young can hold his own live.  

Jim, however, hits those notes night after night and you can't help but think "holy shit, how does he do that?"

Ian_Alan

Yeah, ol Neil can  definetly delivers the vocal heat when ya hear him live, Wayne coyne brings the melodic harmony that reminds me of Jim but in a completely diffrent context. Jim just belts it out with such a fervid passion, hands down, after hearing MMJ live I'm a truly satisfied man ;)

But ol Neil, Cinnamon Girl: My My Hey Hey; Down By The River: LIVE nuff said  Rock n Roll is hear to stay