Top 5 underrated MMJ songs...

Started by Xmas_Curtain, Aug 13, 2004, 07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xmas_Curtain

Must be:

1. O Is The One That Is Real (never hear people talking about but it was the highlight of the two concerts I've seen and is my favourite track off Live at Bonnaroo -- that and Phone Went West)

2. The Bear (again, often overlooked but the Acoustic Citsuoca version kicks ass)

3. I Will Sing You Songs (the most gorgeous song off It Still Moves in my opinion)

4. I Will Be There When You Die (an MMJ song that was released before its time)

5. It's About Twilight Now (so, so cool).

What do you guys think?
Oh don't carve me out
Don't let your silly dreams
Fall inbetween
The crack of the bed and the wall

Garth69

Here's two more: 'Picture of You' and 'War Begun'. I haven't seen them play these in awhile, but both Jim and John (RIP) really busted a nut on some great extended guitar solos.
And I hear ya on 'O...' I think it's arguably their best all-around, radio-ready rock song. That build-up at the end followed by the twin guitar part gets my fist pumping every time. On the recent tour the arrangement was slightly different.

The Boar

I heartily agree with "O" and "It's About Twilight Now". Don't forget "The Dark" "They Ran" or "Just Because I Do"

MMJ_fanatic

I would throw "Honest Man" in with its twangy, swaggering country riff.  "I Will Sing You Songs" is great too--the way Jim streches through his range gives me chills ;).  Finally, "Rollin Back" nuff said!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

The_Link

I agree with Garth that "War Begun" and "Picture of You" are bothe very good songs and underplayed at this time.  I am also a big fan of "Death is the Easy Way."  Now that song gets no respect from anyone.  It seams to find its way on a lot of my mixes.  Not a complicated song, but a good one anyway.  "O" is definitely a straight out rockin song that is always enjoyable to bang the stearing wheel to.  Personally, i really enjoy "Old September Blues" from the Amsterdam show on one of the EPs.  OK.  Peace.

Chills

1) they ran
2) how do you know
3) chills
4) if all else fails
5) i needed it most

Garth69

Anything from 'Tennessee Fire'...but the big one I forgot was 'I Think I'm Going to Hell'. Talk about the chills. I maybe saw them play it in the 'Ville a LONG time ago, back when Jeremy was in the band.

The_Link

"I think I'm Going to Hell " is pretty chilling on a lonely higway at 2:30 in the morning.  Good choice!

katkillad

1. Sweetheart...god i love that song
2. Strangulation ( My favorite mmj song )
3. If it smashes down
4. I think i'm going to hell ( Agreed w/above )
5. Can you see the hard helmet on my head

TheMollusk

im pretty sure that 'lowdown' couldve been top ten on a major label at the right time. im surprised that 'one big holiday' wasn't bigger than it was outside of the mmj fanbase. when i think underrated, i think about the songwriting, and i mean genius lyrics that have mostly gone unnoticed, then i think of 'steam engine'

Chills

i think it's quite clear ALL of mmj's songs are underrated! Only known by people who really make an effort to search out great music for themselves. However in a strange way i kinda like it too. I love their accesibility to the fans at shows. which doesn't mean i don' t wish them to be able to live royaly of their music and keep making great records!
As of underrated, we should really think of songs that should and could be played on every radio station in the world: lowdown, golden, just one thing...and cobra  ;)

MMJ_fanatic

Quotewhich doesn't mean i don' t wish them to be able to live royaly of their music and keep making great records!
my sentiments exactly.  the guys have got to make a good go of this to add to their motivations (we all already know they're motivated to make great music  ;))  that's why its so important to take the uninitiated with you to any and every show you can!

Oz

I agree with all the titles mentioned here. It's such a pity that song like 'They ran' never get played live! But there are such so many great ones...
I'm ready when you are

Rabid_Washcloth

Butch Cassidy.  One of my favorites off of Tennessee Fire.

peanut butter puddin surprise

By My Car
Chills (from the demo disc)
Can you see the hard helmet on my head?
Come Closer (which I have long said is a lost #1 hit)
There's just one Thing

I've heard a few folks say they don't care for "Rollin Back", but it's in my all time top 10 of MMJ songs...come on, if you don't cry at this:

"oh i'll never say I knew you
but my heart cant wait
to meet you no the other side"

you must have a heart transplant at once! i insist!  :)

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

jc--gotta agree with ya on rollin back and hard helmet--very under-utilized ;)

keefer

I think they're all under-rated, which is good and bad probably. So, that being the case, these 5 are my faves right now, with many more within reach of the top 5:

1. The Bear
2. I Will Sing You Songs
3. Cobra
4. Sooner (Live)
5. They Ran ((barely ahead of Old Sept. Blues))

marktwain

Sal Paradise

Alabama Come Clean

I think it's brilliant,
they should end every show with it.
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

Oz

QuoteAlabama Come Clean

I think it's brilliant,
they should end every show with it.

Yes! What a cool idea would that be...
I'm ready when you are