Main Menu

Wha?

Started by EC, Dec 14, 2004, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Huh?  http://www.songtitle.info/(you have to click on Summer/Fall 2004 first and then go 8th from the top.)

I've never even heard of that beer, let alone seen that commercial.  But I live in Canada.  Did other people know about this?  I didn't know about this.

How do you feel about this?

sweatboard

I guess your talking about the mmj riff in that beer comercial (the link didn't work for me)

When I saw it for the firs time I nearly spit whatever I was drinking out my nose.
It didn't bother me because it was just a quick riff and I knew the comercial wouldn't run long.  Eagles of Death Metal actually put one of thier riffs in a comercial recently.
Now, If MMJ had used a song they were really trying to promote at the time and let the songs lyrics play etc. or if one of thier songs had already made it into mainstream and they sold it to a commercial then I would be really turned off.
There's Still Time.........

EC

Whooops!  Sorry, dude - I just fixed it.  

QuoteNow, If MMJ had used a song they were really trying to promote at the time and let the songs lyrics play etc. or if one of thier songs had already made it into mainstream and they sold it to a commercial then I would be really turned off.

Hm.  But what's the difference?  Presumably they've written every song with as much artistic integrity as the next...  What changes if the song is suddenly popular?  I mean, at least they'd get more money for it that way...

If they sold "Golden" to Molson, I would want to slit my wrists.  I guess I don't begrudge them the right to do it, and I've just read an article that argues that lesser known bands have been known to see increased popularity if a song of theirs is in a hit commercial.

I mean, okay, I can see Avril Lavigne, or someone who's only doing their music for commercial value in the first place.  I'm just surprised is all.  Not horrified, not appalled, but I guess I wouldn't have thought I'd see that from them.

But Wes Anderson made IKEA commercials, and I've seen Willie singing for the Gap, Bob Dylan's hippie songs are being used by banks, so whatever.

Damn.

sweatboard

To be honest EC, I had forgoten all about that comercial until you brought it up.  I just don't want to assocciate my favorite bands songs with specific PRODUCTS.  It is to sacred.  I didn't think to much about MMJ's comercial because it wasn't everywhere I turned my head, like that shit whore song Vertigo or that ass sandwhich Lenny Kravitz Gap comercial song.  If I sit and think about it, MMJ letting them use the riff doesn't really agree with me either..... But, we don't know the circumstances surrounding the transaction they could have offered the band a lifetime supply of free beer, or mabey they caught Patrick alone and offered him a vintage collection of Lil' Bow Wow apparell.  You Never Know!  Some things you just can't pass on.  

marktwain

QuoteWhooops!  Sorry, dude - I just fixed it.  

I mean, okay, I can see Avril Lavigne, or someone who's only doing their music for commercial value in the first place.  I'm just surprised is all.  Not horrified, not appalled, but I guess I wouldn't have thought I'd see that from them.

Avril Lavigne doesn't need to be in a commercial to support her "art", though.  Fact is: good bands aren't making it onto the radio, so the only way to be heard (other than endless touring, which I hear is a damn near impossible way of life ;)) and to make money is through licensing songs to commercials.  

It is good, though, that this commercial wasn't on the air constantly, and didn't last too long:  that can really ruin a song.

EC

Quotethey caught Patrick alone and offered him a vintage collection of Lil' Bow Wow apparell.  You Never Know!  Some things you just can't pass on.
ho-leee that made me laugh.  

QuoteAvril Lavigne doesn't need to be in a commercial to support her "art", though.  Fact is: good bands aren't making it onto the radio, so the only way to be heard (other than endless touring, which I hear is a damn near impossible way of life ) and to make money is through licensing songs to commercials.  

It is good, though, that this commercial wasn't on the air constantly, and didn't last too long:  that can really ruin a song.

Okay, I hear you - but...  if "One Big Holiday" was suddenly a Gap Christmas commercial, how would you feel about that, and what's the difference?  Watching the guys standing around in gap clothes, and suddenly Gap sells shirts that talk about people loving them in Birmingham, and wearing a parrot on your shoulder is really cool, and you can buy them for $49.99 at the Gap?

I mean, okay.  Point a.  It's beer.  Beer is cool, and it's not a huge beer company (I assume, and only because I haven't heard of them, and, well, I drink a lot).  If it was a huge beer company, that would be different (for me).  Basically, if they sold their art to assholes, I would be disappointed.

Like, part of the reason the whole "Times they are a changin'" thing pissed the fuck out of me was the absolute disgracefulness of it.  A BOB DYLAN song for BANKS.  

So I guess it's all about who you choose to promote...  Anybody know anything about this beer company?

The only problem I ever had with MMJ selling a song was the fact that it was sold to Aspen Edge, which is owned by Coors.  Coors has continuously sought and funded activities that support the censorship of music.  However, I know these guys need to be able to pay the bills just like us, and a little exposure/income wouldn't hurt this goal.    

marktwain

Like, part of the reason the whole "Times they are a changin'" thing pissed the fuck out of me was the absolute disgracefulness of it.  A BOB DYLAN song for BANKS.  

Jesus.  I hadn't heard about that!  Now, if that's not the textbook definition of selling out, I don't know what is.  Dylan doesn't need the money or the exposure.  It's a song about revolution being used by financial institutions?  did they change the lyrics, too? ("Come gather 'round people/ if you need loans,/ and admit that the interest rates are low")  or how about "your dimes and your quarters are beyond your command"

Bob was once my hero.  Now I've got to say he's just a whore.

EC

QuoteCoors has continuously sought and funded activities that support the censorship of music.  However, I know these guys need to be able to pay the bills just like us, and a little exposure/income wouldn't hurt this goal.

Okay, so I don't want to use My Morning Jacket as the example for a band selling out.  And I didn't know that the beer was a Coors product, and I don't know about Coors and their anti-music activities.

So I'll have to speak on a philosophical level.  And I'll have to base it on what you've written.

I think there's a pretty big onus on the part of the artist to make sure that their songs are being used responsibly.  So, if indeed Coors is involved in activity that aims to promote the censorship of music, then supporting them by allowing your music to sell their product is irresponsible.

Even if you're hungry, if you're involved with people who might work to steal the bread from under your nose by making it impossible for you to create your livelihood, you're ultimately not doing yourself a favour.

Easy for me to say.  I'm not in that position.

Again, and let me stress that I don't know all of the details, and so I'm taking a stance from a (potentially) hypothetical viewpoint.  (Not that I don't believe you 40223, I just don't have the energy to research it all for my own self to feel comfortable enough to make a true stand on specifics.)

This whole thing came about because someone pointed me in the direction of this article:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2004/12/10/notes121004.DTL which adds a little more depth to the conversation than I can.

It's an interesting discussion, anyhow...

Actually, I think the band was trying to pull something over on the evil-corporate giant headed by Ultra-conservative Pete Coors and his henchmen.  For Coors failed to realize that "Mahgeetah" was really about killing cops, having unprotected sex with whores on yachts, followed by dinner with Michael Moore.  But, I am sure you all already realized this.

peanut butter puddin surprise

I respectfully disagree with the writer of that article on several points, but I'll get to that.

We slagged it out previously on this topic of "selling out" on the board, and I don't think any minds were changed, but the fact is that the commerical itself ran for a short time, a lot of money must have been involved, and it was exposure for the band.  All three of those factors tell me it was okay.  Is Coors the most responsible company on the planet?  No.  Were they good stewards of good music by including a nonvocal rock-out in their commerical?  Absolutely.  

The fine line between success commerically and artisically has been blurred forever, so why should our heroes toil endlessly on the road just to satisfy some sort of "indie cred" postulation that doesn't exist in reality, but just in the minds of hipsters?  That said, the exposure angle is also critical:  if the idea of their music in a commerical is abhorrent, then the idea that the exposure will lead to more album sales shouldn't be too bad, right?  Sure, they probably don't profit that greatly from album sales (concerts and merch are the cash cows) but I'm sure it helps.  With the ocean of music out there, it's easy to see how something wonderful like MMJ could get lost in the muck that is commerical/public radio these days.  Video didn't kill the radio star;  radio killed itself through lousy programming, endless promos, and Klear Khannel's stranglehold on FM.  A commerical with barely ten seconds of nonverbal rockin' that helps pay the bills can't be all bad, IMHO.

In the end, even bands like U2 with their "synergy" and I-Pod crossover will return to their roots:  playing, touring, writing.  How many MMJ shows have you been to that were sold out, with just a hint of advertising?  What would they be like with blimps flying over with the Bear from ISM on it, or a tour sponsored by Aqua Fresh?

Real musicians are in it because they have to be;  they feel the need to create.  Should Jim and co. have to work at some shat job during the day to help fund that dream?  Hell no!  

Okay, I'm done preaching.  I'm not defending or condoning the practice of selling your art, but it does seem logical at this juncture...if Donald Rumsfeld personally profited from it, would I feel the same way?  Not sure...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

QuoteActually, I think the band was trying to pull something over on the evil-corporate giant headed by Ultra-conservative Pete Coors and his henchmen.  For Coors failed to realize that "Mahgeetah" was really about killing cops, having unprotected sex with whores on yachts, followed by dinner with Michael Moore.  But, I am sure you all already realized this.

Holy shit, I just spit out my hot chocolate laughing at that one... :)

EC

I mean yeah, okay, you know, I totally hear you.  And you have to remember that I just read about that yesterday, so it was still fresh for me.  

And it also ties into a whole bunch of talks I've been having lately about philsophy and art and ethics and then the other side which is who effin' cares, why get upset over something so dumb.

And yeah, in a way, for sure.  It's just, I don't know what.  

And believe me that I am no-one to talk.  I sold my ass all over the place doing beer commercials and terrible (I mean TERRIBLE) television programs.  (Okay, not my ass, they wouldn't have wanted that, but my face I gave them.)

I guess the difference is that I didn't give them my song, but what's the difference, blah blah blah.  I was just surprised to see them up there.  

(Hey John, what didn't you like about that article?)

QuoteThe fine line between success commerically and artisically has been blurred forever, so why should our heroes toil endlessly on the road just to satisfy some sort of "indie cred" postulation that doesn't exist in reality, but just in the minds of hipsters?

For sure.  But I wasn't talking about indie cred, I was talking about their own selves, and obviously they're fine with it, because they did it, so that's cool.  For sure, don't ever not give yourself the chance to make some extra cash if it's about indie cred.  But don't, on a personal level, sell yourself out for money.

What a fuckin' preachy ass nerd I'm being.  Fuck it, I'm going to smoke some weed and drink some beer.  Yeehaw!

MMJ_fanatic

personally I think "indie street cred" is overated bullshit.  Make good music that people will love and buy and if you make a couple extra bucks to help keep you in food and threads as well as preserve the musical dream by tastefully exporing (and that is what I think of the coors add--tastefully sublime regarding the use of the pieces of Magheeta).  listen to what you enjoy and don't be a nose-in-the-air musical snob! :D
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

The bottom line is My Morning Jacket are in it for the right reasons and they "Made It" because of it.  That's right folks they have already "Made It".  They may never be millionares or famous (who wants to be), but they probably make a shit load more than most of us, and they are doing exactly what they want to, loving it, and makeing all of us very happy in the process.  I think to be any "Bigger" is something they should try at all cost to avoid.  This includes useing thier music to sell Products.  Music wasn't invented to be a fucking marketing device it's for dancing and getting high to.  I believe they are at the perfect amount of exposure at this point right now, the key is to ride the crest of the wave they're on right now for as long as possible without it building into a tidle wave or fizzeling into white-wash.      

marktwain

Well, I have no idea how much money these boys are making, or how much Coors paid them.  But I doubt if they are now independently wealthy.  And, yeah, that's not the point of music, but I'm sure they need to pay for health care - correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the record company is paying for that - , and probably would like to save up to buy a house one day.

Pavement: "YOu've got to pay your dues before you pay the rent."  

I'd say they've paid those dues, and, as an old fogey (@ 26) who knows a thing or 2 about bills, I say God Bless 'Em.  And for all those who are upset because they support a big corporation whose interests are questionable:  ever shop @ Wal-Mart, eat McDonalds, drink non organic, non shade-grown coffee?  Have you ever bought a Coors?  

If the answer is yes, you are supporting those bastards as well.  Maybe not as much, but you didn't get paid to "sell out."

By the way, I hope this message doesn't come across as hostile, 'cause that's not how I'm feeling at all.  Just my own damn opinion.

hey EC, I'm feelin' it...totally all good.  and what you said isn't preachy at all, so no worries!  just our opinions, that's all...

QuoteAnd believe me that I am no-one to talk.  I sold my ass all over the place doing beer commercials and terrible (I mean TERRIBLE) television programs.  (Okay, not my ass, they wouldn't have wanted that, but my face I gave them.)

Oh, please tell!  Spill those beans!

QuoteFuck it, I'm going to smoke some weed and drink some beer.  Yeehaw!

now yer talkin'.... ;)

EC

tundra, I hear you.  The only thing is that it's different to shop at Walmart and drink a Coor's Light than it is to let them give you money for your song.  

Anyways, shake out my heebiejeebies.  (from the thought of a Coor's Light)

John, I'm afraid there aren't really any exciting beans to spill.  The glamourous life of an actor involves a lot of commercial auditions, and if you've never been to one of them, you're missin' out.  Spectacular array of personalities.  (do we have a barfing smiley?)

My only thing with all of it was that you can get paid a lot of money to support a company who's pretty evil.  And yeah, if you're really broke, it can seem like you've hit the jackpot.  But I still feel shitty about a lot of it.  I don't do that stuff anymore (although my roommate does, and she just got a big residual cheque from an ad she did like five years ago.  I'm trying to find money for rice, ha ha ha, so it's tempting.)

Ultimately, when you die, the only person who needs to be okay with everything you've done is you.  And if you're okay at the end of the day, then all is good.

I think we are all forgetting the real importance of the beer commercial.  For those of you that aren't from the states, Aspen Edge is one of those shitty low carb beers that have arisen out of the rise of the zero carb/bad breath lifestyle of 2002-present.  Coors needed a way to attract customers to a beer that tastes like three-day old piss, and they did that by playing "Magheetah," a song that makes you wanna drink beer, lose weight, have sex on Sea-Doos, and kill whitey--subconsciously (f.y.i.: these activities don't have to be done in any particular order).

marktwain

Quote"Magheetah," a song that makes you wanna drink beer, lose weight, have sex on Sea-Doos, and kill whitey--subconsciously

I thought it was just me!!