Why do you not like that song?

Started by thebigbang, Feb 03, 2005, 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

now now it's susan's birthday so let's not tussle, eh?  :)

friends, there's no party line.  there's no right or wrong when subjective art is in question, it is merely in the eye/earhole of the beholder.  no one should feel anything other than their firm right to express themselves...and expecting others to express themselves right back.  free exchange of ideas;  whether they be happy mindless lovin' spoonfuls or well thought out rages, that's what it is all about.   8)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

wordawg

This has happened before and I'm sick of it.

Word babe.
the future is Ginger

marktwain

EC

I sincerely apologise if I've ever made anyone uncomfortable about posting what they'd like to post.

Happy birthday, Susan.

I will stop playing Mother, now.  I've read over my post, and it's way too spazzy.  I should think things through before I post, sometimes.

on edit:  tundra.  lamp.  very good.

MMJ_fanatic

:-* everyone kiss an make up ;) (wouldn't that be a sight)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tomEisenbraun

Hmmm...seems liek this got a bit off-topic, but I'll try to bring it full-circle.

There's a coupel of songs that I don't really care for. "Easy Morning Rebel" has never really appealed to me. Could be because it breaks the flow of the album. I always wind up skipping right past Easy Morning Rebel and Run Thru, because the end of It Still Moves would flow so muhc better with them in a different spot. Those two songs feel like they should be tracks 3 and 4, or somewhere before One Big Holiday. I actually wouldn't mind too muhc if Easy Morning Rebel was just dropped all together. Something about it feels a little too contrived. Can't quite explain it.

I guess this one falls into the songs that you had to get used to category, but Dancefloors has started to grow on me. I originally didn't like it, but I think it's just the beginning sounds a little cliche. Of course, I haven't heard any of these live, and I'm sure I'd be pleased as punch to hear any of em straight from Jim's mouth to my ears.  
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

wordawg

Quotenow now it's susan's birthday

No its not. Are we being patronising here?
the future is Ginger

EC

No its not. Are we being patronising here?

Susan is John's wife's name.

wordawg

Susan is John's wife's name.

I apologise for the error.
I was thinking of somebody else.

(Must take the time to familiarise myself with other peoples nearest and dearests.  Or start reading threads better.)
the future is Ginger

thebigbang

QuoteHmmm...seems liek this got a bit off-topic, but I'll try to bring it full-circle.

There's a coupel of songs that I don't really care for. "Easy Morning Rebel" has never really appealed to me. Could be because it breaks the flow of the album. I always wind up skipping right past Easy Morning Rebel and Run Thru, because the end of It Still Moves would flow so muhc better with them in a different spot. Those two songs feel like they should be tracks 3 and 4, or somewhere before One Big Holiday. I actually wouldn't mind too muhc if Easy Morning Rebel was just dropped all together. Something about it feels a little too contrived. Can't quite explain it.

I guess this one falls into the songs that you had to get used to category, but Dancefloors has started to grow on me. I originally didn't like it, but I think it's just the beginning sounds a little cliche. Of course, I haven't heard any of these live, and I'm sure I'd be pleased as punch to hear any of em straight from Jim's mouth to my ears.  

Like you read my mind. That is almost exactly the description I would use to tell why ISM didn't enchant me as much as their other releases. Those are the three tracks that don't grab me like most everything else they've released, and maybe reordering them would make it go down easier.  If I was in a mood to skip them, it would be Rebel first, Dance Floors second and then Run Thru (because I love the attack of bass and drums part).

To my ears, the rest of ISM is on par with their other great material.  Thank you for commenting on this. I was sincere in wanting to know what us MMJ fans might think about this.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

SmoothOprtr

Do you really love the lamp Tundra or are you just naming things in the room and saying you love them?
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

MMJ_fanatic

I think he got a leg lamp for Christmas ;)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tomEisenbraun

Like you read my mind. That is almost exactly the description I would use to tell why ISM didn't enchant me as much as their other releases. Those are the three tracks that don't grab me like most everything else they've released, and maybe reordering them would make it go down easier.  If I was in a mood to skip them, it would be Rebel first, Dance Floors second and then Run Thru (because I love the attack of bass and drums part).

To my ears, the rest of ISM is on par with their other great material.  Thank you for commenting on this. I was sincere in wanting to know what us MMJ fans might think about this.

yeah, the album shouldve been ordered different. If anything, I would've just left off Easy Morning Rebel and saved it as a B-side for a single, and put run-thru right after one-big holiday. They'r eboth very dynamic songs, and I thinkt hey would fit very well right next to eachother. The thing is, the way run-thru starts almost requires a song to float into it. IT needs the perfect song right before it, kind of like how Zeppelin would float right from The Song Remains the Same into the Rain Song. But I don't think the necessary song is on It Still Moves. I love the album to death, but I would've rearranged it a little bit. The end of it is too atmoshpheric to have those two songs right where they are. The lull that I get from I Will Sing You Songs is just too perfect to get attacked by cowbells like that.

Tore

I honestly can't say there is a song I really don't like (in the three studio albums anyway), but Honest Man is probably the one I am mostly likely to skip, to put it in a nice way... I'm a great fan of blues, but I don't think it is a very good bluessong to be an honest man (Oh that is great stuff..).

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI honestly can't say there is a song I really don't like (in the three studio albums anyway), but Honest Man is probably the one I am mostly likely to skip, to put it in a nice way... I'm a great fan of blues, but I don't think it is a very good bluessong to be an honest man (Oh that is great stuff..).

I actually find this song to be hilarious. I don't think it was meant to be a good attempt at blues, just the guys dickin around. THe harmonica is hot, and the soloings alright, but i love the screaming distorted vocals. Those always make me laugh. Jim just wailing his balls off.  

Tore

I've also got the feeling this isn't supposed to be a dead serious bluessong, but I still don't fancy it as much as the rest of At Dawn, which is pure class.

Oz

Hmm, well, there's one or two songs on every album that I wouldn't have minded not being on that album, but the only one that really bore me are 'Honest Man' and 'Rollin'Back', because they both last so fucking long. Every single album I've heard, by any band, has one or two songs I like a little less than the rest, but it's a little irritating when those songs are eight minutes long.  :-/

Oh well, it's not that I skip them, because I never skip songs on an album. I can handle it. :)
I'm ready when you are

EC

QuoteI love lamp.
Heh.  I just watched Anchorman.   :D
Noooooooow I get it.