Report on My Morning Jacket for school

Started by eiseyrokker, Apr 25, 2005, 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

okay, so I'm in this kickin class called Pop, Inc. where we basically listen to music for an entire semester and sit around and talk about it - who influenced who, what was going on culturally that caused certain music to happen, drugs, all that good stuff. But the grooviest bit is, for the final project, we get to pick a band, give a brief history of them, and analyze three of their songs. You don't even have to guess about who I picked.

So my choice for songs as of right now is The Bear, One Big Holiday, and Golden. Because of time restrictions, I might not be able to do Golden. But I've already analyzed One Big Holiday and the Bear.

After really taking a look at One Big Holiday, it's kind of cool, because I noticed soemthing I hadn't seen before:

One Big Holiday is an epic.

It starts of with a theme, then slowly builds to crescendo, and then the lyrics come in, and they tell a story. This bad man gives Jim some insider info on how to find this "one big holiday" a sort of musical enlightenment, tells him what to do, and "so we listened and up the river" they take off to find it. They get there (and it's gotta be some major jamming or an outdoor festival) and its completely rockin, and instead of the lyrics drawing themselves to a close (this is the part of it all that I love) they end with "all the leather kids were loud" and it fakes going back into the chorus, but it doesn't. It goes into that beginning feel again, and then takes off.

But what is so brilliant, is that since the lyrics end open-ended, it seems half-finished. But they end, basically at their discovery of the "one big holiday" and the music practically finishes the story. You get one of the most free-for-all balls-out rockjobs I've heard in a long time, and after lookign at it like this, the song becomes so muhc more important to every rock fan that ever lived.

Troof.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

whothrewthecake

that's awesome. i took a history of rock and roll class but i never got to anything that awesome. that is going to be one mind-blowing project.

tomEisenbraun

Yeah, the best part will be seeing how many new converts I get. It's a small class, but I'm hoping that at least a couple of them will see the light.  8)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Wow, Eisey.  That's awesome.  That's totally wicked.  Good moves.  You should videotape that.  

I did a similar project for my music class in University.  I picked Blondie.  But that's only because My Morning Jacket didn't exist yet.  ;)

whothrewthecake

QuoteYeah, the best part will be seeing how many new converts I get. It's a small class, but I'm hoping that at least a couple of them will see the light.  8)

if they are smart, they will come to the good side.

JacketGal

So my choice for songs as of right now is The Bear, One Big Holiday, and Golden. Because of time restrictions, I might not be able to do Golden. But I've already analyzed One Big Holiday and the Bear.

Wow, what a great idea! You must post your analyses when you finish, I'm sure a few around here would love to read them!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

Drunkre

I always thought One Big Holiday was about recording the It Still Moves album.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

Godfather

one big holiday in my interpretation is about a journey to find music.  so it could be about the recording and how its hard to write music and lyrics or its about finding music you connect with.
Without MMJ my state of Kentucky would only have horses, whiskey, tobacco, and weed, so thank you..