Jim's Paintbrush

Started by Godfather, Apr 29, 2005, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godfather

This kinda feeds off the bear topic already but i wanted a direct topic about it.

I think one reason people latch on to mmj is the feeling that is provoked inside when listening to a song.  It is true art like a painting, that you are suppose to interpret and allow it to mold a little bit of itself on to the listener.  Jim paints these masterpieces with a guitar rather than a brush.  Every single song makes u feel a certain way.  Whether it is laid back cruising out to California, or its the feeling of a split feeling you have between two oppostie people or places that rip you in two and the feeling you have to choose one or the other.
These are some emotions provoked in me, id rather not say what songs because its my interpretation but what are some feelings u have listening?
Without MMJ my state of Kentucky would only have horses, whiskey, tobacco, and weed, so thank you..

sweatboard

I think the sincerity and compasion that Jim writes and sings with come through very clear in the music.  I feel like sometimes the music is sticking up for me.  
There's Still Time.........

EC

QuoteI feel like sometimes the music is sticking up for me.

Ohhhh, that's fucking awesome.  I was going to leave a big long post about how true that is, but I think it speaks for itself.  

And, if it were me, I would take that as the nicest compliement ever.  Even better than erudite.  :)

Oz

This reminds me of how Jim once said in an interview of how he thinks of his songs as different colours...
I'm ready when you are

Oz

Godfather: respect for your Dylan-pic! I just listened to 'Desire', wich I just picked up Friday night. That man is genius...
I'm ready when you are

Godfather

QuoteGodfather: respect for your Dylan-pic! I just listened to 'Desire', wich I just picked up Friday night. That man is genius...
i think of him more as a god
Without MMJ my state of Kentucky would only have horses, whiskey, tobacco, and weed, so thank you..

sweatboard

I guess that makes you Bob's Father?
There's Still Time.........

EC

(O, I am mental about Desire.  I LOVE that record!!)

JacketGal

YES!!!! Desire's up there in the top 5 Dylan records, at least for me....but many ppl seem to agree. That record also paints a scene for me, it's definitely a journey...a death and rebirth..loss and desparation. It was recorded when Dylan was breaking up w/Sarah so it's highly emotional. How many times has Dylan painted his masterpiece??

As for Jim's lyrics...it's really hard to say how they make me feel. A song like 'Golden' makes me feel like I'm ancient and I'm on a never-ending quest. It's on par with a good 'trip' whether that's physical or self-induced. Most Jacket songs are  epic in their scope, they feel universal and personal all at once. I like the analogy of the music stickinig-up for you, that's awesome! You know the half-dream state that you are in sometimes, right when you wake up?  And if you catch it just right, you might be listening to some music and the experience of that music in that state is mind-altering? It's a 'brief transit where dream's cross..." That's what the Jacket/James can do for me without having to actually be in that state!

But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

ChiefOKONO

Desire is my fav. Dylan album!!!!!

the Jacket makes me feel enveloped, a part of the song.. it takes me on journies through many feelings and things i normally don't think about.
its like its opened a doorway into another part of me!

call me crazy but that's a bit of what i get from it!

Godfather

QuoteI guess that makes you Bob's Father?
took me a while but i finally got that... good one 8)

Oz

'Desire' is the only Dylan-record in my collection thusfar, but I plan to start a collection from now on. God, that record is so amazing... 'Isis' is my current favorite. I just loves the way he sings: 'She said, you look different, I said, well, I guess.'
I'm ready when you are

Godfather

I own (takes deep breath)

(1963) The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
(1965) Highway 61 Revisited
(1966) Blonde on Blonde
(1966) The Royal Albert Concert
(1967) John Wesley Harding
(1974) Blood on the Tracks
(1975) Desire
(1976) Hard Rain
(1993) 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration
(1997) Time Out Of Mind
(2001) Love and Theft

I dont know how many albums i am missing cause hes done over 40.

MickeyReds

dylan is on tour with willie nelson who is one of my favorites.they are touring minor leage ballparks.I saw them last time they toured together and it was fukin awsome.
As long as you keep a straight face...

MickeyReds

oh and mmj rules too.
I recently drove cross country , and listened to them all the way through.
great driving music.
it makes you remember what you forgot
As long as you keep a straight face...

Godfather

ya i think i might see willie and bob in louisville.