The drum machine : discuss amongst yourselves

Started by olwiggum, Jun 20, 2005, 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

Ok. So I've seen several posts noting that people don't like the drum machine stuff because it doesn't add anything.
Let me go on the defensive for a bit if you don't mind...

I think it's great and it does add something if you think about it for a second. When they played in BHAM, they opened with "Off the record". The drum machine starts. Very simple beat, yes, I'll give you that. But then, BAM! Patrick kicks your face in when the guitars kick in as well. I think hearing the contrast of the drum machine vs. the live drumming only adds to the dynamic of the song. He very well could have played that little beat on the drumkit, but I don't think it would have the same effect.

I'm not starting a fight, I'm just sayin'....   :)

aMillionDreams

in theory I don't like the drum machine, but I like the way it sounds.  If that makes any sense...
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

peanut butter puddin surprise

As a diehard GBV fan, the drum machine is a good thing.  Is this in general, or specific to MMJ?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

whothrewthecake

basically, the jacket melts my face no matter what. i'll take anything.

fitzcarraldo

"Cobra comes up next to me..."Drum Machines are cool. I have to go a lil off topic here relating to MMJ but Has anyone here heard Vitalic's Ok Cowboy? WTF!!!OMF'nGAWD!!!That record would certainly convert the naysayers, or not.
imho Probably one of the greatest electro/dance/rock records I have ever heard. Check out the review from Pitchfork, 30 bucks at the store (import), but you can get it on itunes for 10 bucks.
http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/v/vitalic/ok-cowboy.shtml
Peace, sean

Danko71

I don't mind drum machines but they didn't do anything for me at the MMJ show on Sat. I see the argument about the dynamic of adding real drums onto it, but it still sounded weak to me, easily the weakest moments of the shows. Patrick's a very creative drummer and surely he could come up with unique beats to accent things a little different before adding the big heavier beats. Really simple drum machine beats just don't make any sense to me, especially when the beat itself sounds like a drumset, no unusual tones or anything. But the songs were good so it wasn't too bad. Honestly I hope it doesn't become more prevalent at their shows, however.

LesPaulDelux

Yeah, the drum machine kind of sets a different sonic landscape/mood, that in both "Don Dante" and "Off The Record" start very slowly and laid back in the beginning of each song, but then the music progresses to such a "melt your face off" ROCK.  So it is kind of fitting that the drum machine ends, and Patrick begins...just when the songs start to speed up tempo and rock out.  Thumbs up on the drum machines....it's not like most techno genres associated with the machines.

sweatboard

I'll go back to what Corey said about contrast and texture.  For me it just adds to the demension and excitement of the sonic landscape they lay down.  The synth breakdown in Run Thru is another good example.  Some bands might be afraid something like that was not in the vein of who they are as a band and not even attempt it.  I think My Morning Jacket's fearless aproach when it comes to trying new sounds and ideas is what makes them the band that they are.  I'm really excited when I think about what kind of sounds they will be making in 5 years.  Most bands don't really change thier sound to much, they just end up writting watered down versions of shit they already did.  I don't have any concern of this band doing that.  amillionDreams said he doesn't like the idea of a drum machine but he likes the sound.  It makes perfect sense to me.  The fact is you could throw Jim in the room with a kazoo a typewritter and an oboe and he would come out with some cool shit.  So I hope they just keep it up, keep reaching, keep exploring.  
There's Still Time.........

Danko71

Well I can't say I'm surprised that I'm in the minority, but allow me to make a couple points:
1) For an example of great drum machine work, look no further than 'Cobra.' The whole identity of that song and it's many parts comes from the drum machine. The beats are simple but interesting, and don't sound like a drumset. There are a few slight changes that mix up the dynamics nicely, including switching to real drums. On the newer tunes, the drum machine just seems tacked on to arrangements that are already very strong without them, as opposed to being built around the drum machine. Now maybe that's exactly what they did, who knows, but I doubt it.
2) I'm all for expanding the sound and experimenting and all that, but I wouldn't say that using a simple drum machine really pushes boundaries. Aside from the sitar, electro drums are one of the most cliched and standard ways of giving the appearance of a broader sound. Again, this stuff could sound awesome on the record and I'll keep my mouth shut, but I wasn't sold when I saw it live, especially when they're strong enough as it is. I've seen the Cure and Oasis and they both used very basic drum machine beats that really didn't add anything either. I saw Of Montreal recently and while the new album apparently has electronic drums all over it, I can't say it made for a better show after seeing them with a strong full rock band.
3) Finally, you want to see innovative and unique drums? Check out Wilco. Some of you lucky ones out there will be doing just that in the next couple weeks, and prepare to be astounded by their drummer. Wilco's material is fairly simple musically, but the drummer found ways to accent beats and rhythms that were totally unexpected and incredibly fun to watch and listen to. He sure as hell didn't need some limp half time beat to prod things along. I've seen hundreds of shows in my day, playing close attention to all the musicians, and Wilco's drummer did stuff, I'd say every other song, that I've NEVER seen before. He can do more with one hand than most drummers can do with two hands and two feet.
So having said that, there are an infinite ways you can mix up beats and rhythms without resorting to hitting a couple pre-set buttons. But again, I don't mind drum machines in general and who knows, maybe I can see them working on the album or in future material, but I wouldn't say it was my favorite element of the newer sound. I liked the sax, though, although I could barely hear it. Good day everyone.

neal

i will agree with you once more. everybody on this forum is saying they are being enlightened by this unessesary drum machine. it serves no purpose, god i miss the the sounds of tennessee fire and at dawn...those were the days. please no more pointless drum machine beats. it's OK to not like something about this band and no one wants to say anything negative about them which is fucking annoying. there is no critizism on this board!

corey

I never said that I was enlightened by the drum machine. I simply said what I liked about it.
I think the production on The Tennesee Fire is lacking. How's that for criticism?

Well, it's not necessarily lacking because songs like "The Bear" are just plain beautiful, but the album doesn't work as a whole for me.

One more thing... Patrick is a much better drummer than the guy that played on TTF. Listen to it and tell me otherwise. I dare you.
:)

Danko71

'it's OK to not like something about this band and no one wants to say anything negative about them which is fucking annoying. there is no critizism on this board!'

Right you are, Mr. Neal. It's often a waste of time to read this board when everything is so blindly positive. That's why I qualified my statement by saying that I knew I was in the minority. I love the band as much as anybody but I've got the right to analyse and/or criticize as much as I want. I wish more people on here did, there would be more interesting discussions, as opposed to 'yay! rah rah! MMJ rules!' repeated over and over.

neal

neal

a little humid here in Louisville. i'd much rather be in Canada right now, where the weather is perfect, it actually snows, and the people are cool as fans. i heard there are some pretty trailer parks in Nova Scotia.

jonjon

QuotePatrick's a very creative drummer and surely he could come up with unique beats to accent things a little different before adding the big heavier beats. Really simple drum machine beats just don't make any sense to me, especially when the beat itself sounds like a drumset, no unusual tones or anything.

By having a drum machine take care of your basics, that does leave you free to explore and create. When you have to keep a pattern going for the band, you have to give up 1 or both feet and possibly 1 hand. With the machine takin care of that, it leaves you free to pounce all over your kit. Trips and quads, diddles, flams are all yours to toy with. Plus, it's hard to maintain tempo while still trying to fill with offbeat stuff.

That's why drum circles can work so well.

Now about that kazoo and typewriter, hmmmm. You've given me some new ideas. Record a new song as you type the lyrics while kazooing the melody with distortion and delay.

Anybody remember the electric, distorted washboard from the Roo and Robert Randolph?
Look into Western skies, your answer is over there.