Steam Engine.....

Started by jellyfish, Jun 24, 2005, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jellyfish

....just fuggin' blows me away ...every time. :)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

paul33

not gonna lie, i'm kinda drunk right now, saw MMJ the other night in phillhyy, so amazing, didn't play steam engine, but that song is amazing, i'm gonna listen now

RED PATOKA SEAS

EC

(and my favourite rhyming line)

God damn those shakey knees

I love that line so fucking much.

PhOneWentDead

That song to me defies description or categorization...absolutely unique and inspiring...

Gripe

Yeah, Steam Engine has always been waaaay up at the top of my list. It's actually quite a bizarre song. It doesn't have the usual opening, verse/chorus/verse stuff. I don't know enough musical terms to describe it properly, but it just doesn't sound normal. Vocals in the first millisecond of the song, stop/start things, then it completely changes directions when the money and druuuuuuuuuuugs kick in (God, I love that part. I've even convinced myself that I sound good singing it in the car.) Then, after all of that, the drums get louder and Jim starts repeating that weirdass word/phrase near the end. Weird. I can't really see Jim going, "Ok, I have this song in my head". I'd guess that it came about over time, maybe a cut and paste kind of thing. But who knows? Either way, I've never met a cat who likes to be backcombed.

Jellyfish

Take your money and your drugs
take your money and your drugs
to anyone who wondered
what old jebus meant to me
take him out to go diving
in red patoka sea
the brain melts in the twilight
with the boar and moving trees
your skin looks good in moonlight
and god damn those shaky knees
the fact that my heart's beating

That segment of the song is sooo bad ass. :)
The fact that my hearts beating

sweatboard

My favorite segment of any of thier songs......by far.
There's Still Time.........

darkglow

i suggest you folks go check out the in studio acoustic performance of steam engine on AOL Sessions..

http://music.aol.com/artist/main.adp?tab=songvid&artistid=372298&albumid=0

sweatboard

Great Link Darkglow. Thanks for that.

I love in the interview when they ask Jim what advice he has for young musicians and he says.......... "Don't ever let them tell you that you can't use that much reverb." ;D

darkglow

it's funny.. i just found this MMJ AOL Sessions stuff like a day or two ago and then I see this steam engine thread pop up.. and ever since i heard that acoustic version of steam engine it's became a whole new song to me and it's one of my favorites.. i wish they would have included an acoustic version of steam engine on acoustic citsuoca

whothrewthecake

i love that acoustic version of steam engine. in any form, this is probably my favorite mmj song. ever.

tomEisenbraun

I did it today. The magical Steam Engine while driving on a highway. You just start singin along at "take your money and your druuuuuuuugs" and you can't stop and by the time you get to "all the proof you neeeeeeeeeeed woooooahhhhh!!!" your stepping harder on the accelerator and you don't even notice and your tearing your throat out with every ladididadum

but fuck it.

that song is magic.

Honestly, I don't even know what emotion it is that it captured, but IÊswear if I was in a terrible mood, and had that song on, I would sng along at the top of my lungs and cry tears of joy, relief, and heartache all at the same time.

Goddamn you Jim James.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

sweatboard

QuoteI did it today. The magical Steam Engine while driving on a highway. You just start singin along at "take your money and yoru druuuuuuuugs" and you can't stop and by the tim eyou get to "all the prrof you neeeeeeeeeeed woooooahhhhh!!!" your stepping harder on the accelerator and you don't even notice and your tearing your throat out with every ladididadum

but fuck it.

that song is magic.

Honestly, I don't even know what emotion it is that it captured, but  swear if I was in a terrible mood, and had that song on, I would sng along at the top of my lungs and cry tears of joy, relief, and heartache all at the same time.

Goddamn you Jim James.

Eisey.....I fucking love that.

sweatboard

The Best Photograph Ever Taken By Mankind!!!!  Just felt like posting it.  Nice Job Riny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October

is that Jim and somebody?

tomEisenbraun

CC

QuoteJim and my man Carl

no, it's jim and somebody ;)

tomEisenbraun

Well then who is this mysterious "somebody", Sir Riny?