Previous topic - Next topic

fiftymillimeter

and my right hand
are the two best lovers that i ever had
now if you find you agree
with what i just said
you better find you a love
and let em into your head

anybody know if this song is a nod to stephen sondheim?

EC

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

fiftymillimeter

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Oh.

(I don't know if it's a nod to Sondheim or not...  Is Jim a big fan of musical theatre?)

EC

Quotewho's steven sondheim?
He was (I think he's passed away, but hm, actually I'm not sure about that) Anyhow, he wrote a musical called "Into the Woods", and I think it's about Little Red Riding Hood.  He's pretty famous for "A Little Night Music" which is quite beautiful, actually.  His compositions are fairly complicated, musically, and a lot of actors find his songs challenging.  I am sounding like a dictionary.  He's cool if you like that kind of a thing.  I'm really not a big musical theatre fan, but I can groove on his work.

JacketGal

This is the babies in blenders song...strange lyrics! I dig it!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

fiftymillimeter

dunno. just all the allusions to childhood, both musically and lyrically made me wonderÉ

i have no idea what jim's into really, but i wouldn't put anything past him.

anyone worked out the words to 'what a wonderful man'? that and gideon back to back fill the religion quota for the album. and both rock for that matter.

EC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Woods

Oh, and it looks like he's still alive.  I shouldn't write stuff unless I know for sure.

sweatboard

I could not figure out what he was saying in this section of the song so I'm so glad you posted this.  I thought he was saying either "a good shot of heroin" or "a good shot of head".  I think you are deffinatly onto something with the play "into the woods" having a relationship to the song.  "Into The Woods" is the most mysterious song on the new album.  I could listen to it a hundred times in a row and not get bored with it.  I look forward to the band recording an entire album that sounds like "Into The Woods".  I want a full on Rock Opera complete with a theatrcal live show and freaky costumes.  
There's Still Time.........

McGuire

Are these really lyrics from Into The Woods? That's hilarious  ;D
All right, all right I'll ask her. Miss, miss! Do you know where the high school girls hang out around here? What? What? That's right, I'm the asshole! I'm the asshole!

whothrewthecake

this song is intriguing. i can't wait to hear the album version...seems like it could be aanother haunting masterpiece.

jonjon

QuoteHe's pretty famous for "A Little Night Music" which is quite beautiful, actually.  His compositions are fairly complicated, musically, and a lot of actors find his songs challenging.  I am sounding like a dictionary.  He's cool if you like that kind of a thing.  I'm really not a big musical theatre fan, but I can groove on his work.

I applaude you for your knowledge and broad range of musical information. I'm a huge musical theatre fan and A Little Night Music just sent me into my past. Thank you EC.
Look into Western skies, your answer is over there.

EC

Speaking of, what do you think happened today?  I opened up the damn newspaper, and there is a full page spread of... what?  What do you think?

Into the Woods.

No shit.

Crazy.

But it's at Stratford, so it'll suck.  But still...

(jonjon, I went to theatre school.  So they FORCED musical theatre down my throad.  ;))

jonjon

(jonjon, I went to theatre school.  So they FORCED musical theatre down my throad.  ;))

I leaned my head back and opened my mouth. Jellicle Cats come out tonight? One singular sensation? 7th grade, I made allstate(goofy band tryout from around the state) and we did West Side Story. Amazingly enough, one of the board members that year would later become my director through high school. Useless facts, but I still love the theatre. I think the most-est funn-est part is the variety of stuff you get to do musically in the pit. You're not just stuck on one instrument, you get to range. Damn I gotta go to work now. Thanks for the great memories.
Look into Western skies, your answer is over there.