From a newbie's perspective....

Started by Nikkogino, Jul 31, 2005, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

"Lay Low" is my favorite song on the new album with "Knot Comes Loose" a close second.

BTW, how does "At Dawn" compare to ISM and Z???  Is it slower...I am thinking about getting it but I will have to order it.  Also, what songs on that album are the best.

October

don't think about it, just get it.  whereas ISM has some seriously amazing songs (OBH, Steam Engine) and some other really good cuts, it just doesn't flow like AT Dawn.  at dawn moves from first track to last without one mediocre song.  by the time you get to strangulation at the end you'll be amazed. it is without a doubt my favorite album so far, hopefully Z will change that though

Nikkogino

Okay, I just ordered it.  I was going to get it on Itunes for instant gratification, but I decided to order the cd so I could have a hard copy and booklet.  

Z is really growing on me by the way.  It is up there with ISM....but I'm not a longtime fan so I don't know shit.  haha, peace.

EC

QuoteOkay, I just ordered it.  I was going to get it on Itunes for instant gratification, but I decided to order the cd so I could have a hard copy and booklet.  

Z is really growing on me by the way.  It is up there with ISM....but I'm not a longtime fan so I don't know shit.  haha, peace.
You're going to freak out when you hear At Dawn.  Make sure you get a whole lot of free time, and listen to it on headphones while lying down (in case you fall over).

whothrewthecake

when i bought at dawn i immediately wanted to listen to it in my car. i don't even remember how i made it home. amazing.

Nikkogino

damn, guys...don't overhype it or anything.

sweatboard

Has anyone read in the new Spin article when Dave Grohl talkes about how the album "At Dawn" still makes him cry to this day when he listens to it.
There's Still Time.........

Nikkogino

I ordered it today...I think I should get it by Thursday or Friday.  I'll tell you my reaction when I get it and listen to it.  

It Still Moves took me about a week to get into....is At Dawn an easier listen or something???? (since you are all thinking I am going to have a religious experience the first time I listen to it.)

The only song that I know from "At Dawn" is Lowdown, so when I get it, it will pretty much be a brand new experience.  

whothrewthecake

i hope (and think) you will really like it. i just know that the feelings i get during certain parts of that album, like the hopefully and bermuda highway section, mean a lot to me. so have fun.  :)

TheLink

i think you guys are correct. i did not get any of the same feelings from It Still Moves that i got from both the Tennessee Fire and At Dawn.  That said, I think you will easily see why At Dawn is totally different and will not be an album you put on at a party.  Peace.

Nikkogino

Is it slower (and, I don't know: sadder???) with more feeling or are the songs just better???

I guess my question is:  Is the album better than ITM or does it just hold a lot of feelings for you???

JacketGal

If I may interject here for a moment...At Dawn is just different and in a good way. The production is different from Tennessee Fire (more) and from It Still Moves (less), what I  hear are the sounds of a record that was really well-thought out. EAch song flows and brings you deeper into the record. It's an entity of its own with haunting lyrics, amazing imagery...deep emotion and tons of soul. It's my fave so far but then I listen to ISM and I think OH MY this is a masterpiece. The Acoustic EP is also brilliant.

Good suggestion on the headphones!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

ratsprayer

i always thought AT DAWN is more introspective, quiet and sombering but all in the best ways possible.  ISM is the best thing so far that gives an idea of the full scale face melting live experience, the album where they put the balls to the wall, even though it has a few flaws (more or less, depending who youre talking to).  

AT DAWN - sit down with headphones, maybe smoke a joint and close your eyes.

ISM - volume max, in your car with the windows down, bang steering wheel and maybe an air guitar, dont wreck.  

sweatboard

I've said it before and I'll say it again...................."At Dawn is the greatest album ever created by mankind!!!!!!!"  This is fact, and yes headphones help confirm it.
There's Still Time.........

whothrewthecake

ISM was my first mmj exposure, but then when i got at dawn it was like, WHOA. it just makes you sit back and let it sink in. different, but still very cool, vibe.

Nikkogino

cool guys........thanks for the info.  I am listening to Z in the meantime (which I don't think is anywhere near as good as ISM...although #8 is ridiculously good).

aMillionDreams

please reserve opinions regarding 'Z' to the thread marked *Spoiler.  Some peeps are not downloading the disc and are still waiting for the release date.  Oh, btw, #8 is amazing.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Nikkogino

sorry, i didn't know that i was spoiling anything by saying a song was good.  

When someone tells me a movie is crappy or amazing, I don't think it is spoiling anything....but sorry.

BTW, I am hoping I get At Dawn before I go on my trip.

EC

Mmmmm, I don't think that was directed only at you nikko.  It's fo all the peeps, yo.  (<-- Brian?)

whothrewthecake

hearing all the talk of the news songs and how good they are makes me excited to feed my appetite with Z........gotta hold on till october.  8)