Doobie Brothers Comparison

Started by LaurieBlue, Aug 16, 2005, 07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://pitchforkmedia.com/columns/ripped/05-08-15.shtml

{favorable} article about seeing a recent Doobie Bros. concert, and purchasing their back catalogue...

"These records can all be had for loose change at yard sales. Undoubtedly My Morning Jacket picked some up before recording their new neckbearded, reggae-tinged album. The absence of Doobie Brother chitchat in music journalism is frankly conspicuous. Continuum Books can publish odes to Jethro Tull and Neutral Milk Hotel in their ongoing 33 1/3 series? Mark Kozelek can release an AC/DC covers album? Magnolia Electric Co. plays an hour tribute to Crazy Horse at Intonation Fest? Badman Records (who put out, coincidentally, both MMJ and Kozelek) has a BREAD TRIBUTE ALBUM with Erlend Øye? Don't call it a comeback."

aMillionDreams

I don't get this comparision.  Since when do all reggae influences stem from the Doobie Brothers? A bit of a stretch, but a cover of 'Jesus is Just Alrigt with Me' would be pretty hilarious.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

TheLink

used to love Black Water when I was a hardcore stoner.  I don't quite get this comparison either.  Guess we aren't cool enough like those wacky indie hipsters over at Pitchfork.

tomEisenbraun

I have noticed a bit of "Rockin on a Highway" in the interlude part of Dancefloors
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

fitzcarraldo

This post reminds me of that scene from Romancing the Stone...& I'm still in love with Joan Wilder.
Anyway, do not question the Jacket &  Mr. Mark Kozelek. "WNTTM" That's got quite a few great covers. "Being bad..." ;)

SMc55

QuoteThis post reminds me of that scene from Romancing the Stone...& I'm still in love with Joan Wilder.
Yeah, I thought of that scene as well. It's a really funny one  :D

And now I know why I was singing "What a fool believes" all day yesterday!

wellfleet

The Pitchfork crew... good God. When they're right to hype something, it's almost by accident. Reading their reviews is like talking to a 40-something dude working the counter at a record store. Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, I hope to be that dude some day, only a girl. But... BUT... Pitchfork's snooty, if-it's-not-completely-obscure-it-must-be-s*** attitude is boring. I read a review of one of the OC soundtracks on it that summarizes what Pitchfork is all about. The reviewer made it out to be a high crime to bring cool indie music to the masses. Somehow, Pitchfork views small cult acts as private property not to be shared with the great unwashed. Whatever! I love MMJ and think they're brilliant. I've only seen them once, opening for Wilco and stood there with a silly grin on my face, feeling the unadulterated joy. Why would I want to keep that amazing feeling all to myself? It may just save a few people from the Baha Men.
everything sucks. really.

fitzcarraldo