Main Menu

OXEN ON Z???

Started by cmasters, Jun 18, 2005, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

Hmmm...I'm relistening to the Cat's Cradle show. I used to prefer the acoustic version of Oxen, but Jim's new invention box is growing on me. For anybody who hasn't downloaded this show, go get it. It's so worth it. Jim is hilarious this tour. It sounds like he's talking a ton, which is awesome.

"It is not bullshit and I can prove it later! If you wanna come out to the van later on I can prove it to you."

An his Alltell Powertel Arena stuff is awesome. EC, you are lucky to be at that show. I can't wait til October!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

QuoteEC, you are lucky to be at that show.
Don't I know it.  I really was.  That was an amazing show.  I've been trying to tell everybody to get it, but I think maybe I'm too enthusiastic about all things My Morning Jacket, and so it isn't as strong of an argument...   ;D

Seriously dudes.  If you want the best live version of Dondante, get this one.  In my opinion, of course.  Although, I wasn't at every show, so a better one miiiiight exist.  But I can't see how.

tomEisenbraun

Not to mention the quality is awesome.

Haha, I can't stop laughing at the "It is not bullshit!" bit. Jim is awesome on his feet.

That and all the mindless "Play Cobraaaa!!!" from the audience.
"27 minutes!!!! Yeah!!"

EC

QuoteThat and all the mindless "Play Cobraaaa!!!" from the audience.
"27 minutes!!!! Yeah!!"
Yeah, those dudes were just to my right.  They kept making me laugh.  :)

cmasters

OXen and in2 the woods are NOT the same song

Oz

Oh, you may relax: they played 'One big holiday' live even before At dawn was released and then when it appeared, that song wasn't on it. But then it appeared in the album after that. So it'll probably surface one day. That said, I wish they'd finally come up with a full version of 'Sunrides and the girls scream'...
I'm ready when you are

realdeal

i can't believe you just said that....that song started off so beautiful then faded into "i will be there when you die" also another beautiful song...but i really wanted to hear the full verson of "sun rides"..
does anyone have a link to a full version?

Oz

There isn't one. Believe me, if there was, I'd know. :)
I'm ready when you are

tomEisenbraun

Figure dout the words (for the most part): if anyone has heard anything different, please post. I'm gonna play this for a gig next week, I wann try to get close to accurate

wanted to see your holy vow
wanted to feel the air come round (down?)
dirty thoughts occured to me then
couldve had em if i wanted
and all i could think of was *that song* (last summer?)
and that wonderful day (thing?)

shouldve known better
all those old letters
always wanted to read

woulda been nice if my
old devices wouldve
juuuuust let me be

How could I know?
(4x)

see you drivin home (over?)
with your nicotine filled smile
lay that down and roll with me now (?)
air goes in and sound comes out now
*and all i could think of is that song ( last summer)
and your wonderful thing day (?)* (sometimes this bit is left out)

shouldve known better
all those old letters
always wanted to read

woulda been nice if my
old devices wouldve
juuuuuust let me be

how could i know?
(4x)

aMillionDreams

yo, Eisey, I bumped this thread because I didn't want to muddy up the TABS thread even more than it already is, but do you really hear omnichord in 'Oxen'?  I don't think they reproduce the sound of that open tuning with the omnichord.  

Also, Beck plays his omnichord way more live than he does of his records.  I'm just saying...
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

oh, I haven't listened to the album yet. I'm waitin for my vinyl to show up.

But I don't know.

Haha, you haven't heard it either. Nevermind.

But yeah, I don;t know, I'd hope that they stick to the acoustic, maybe the full band, but I really do love the atmosphere of the lonely acoustic on that song. Hopefully they'll blow us away though, I know they've known that we've been wantin it for a long time.

cmasters

Well this answers my question...

The download of it is great.  But I can see why it is a B-side because the songs on Z fit perfectly together, this one would be a little bit of a stretch.

Boy October sure is My Morning Jacket month.  With Z out the 4th, Elizabethtown coming to theaters soon after, and then I'm seeing them at the end of the month in Minnesota... holy crap November is going to have a lot to live up to.

tomEisenbraun

yeah, November already sucks.

cmasters

and now they are on conan!! OCTOBER!!!

Nikkogino

Fun reading through this.  Spoiler alert...Oxen (How Could I Know) didn't make the cut for Z!
This song is a top 10 MMJ song for me, along with Where to Begin.  I always see people commenting on inserting those songs into Z in place of Into the Woods or Knot Comes Loose.  Although I love Oxen/WTB way more than either, I love Z the way it is.  I've been super into the Z and earlier MMJ acoustic style songs like these two, Just one Thing, Bermuda, Hopefully, One And The Same, etc.  I really loved the reverbed, more serious singing style without all the enunciation and theatrics.  I hope Jim explores that sound again at some point.  To me, that is the Jacket sound that gets me. 

Also, damn this place is dead.  Feel like the last human on earth exploring abandoned houses of old friends.

ChiefOKONO

well at least the song is out there even though it didn't make the cut.  Maybe one day they'll re-release Z with some bonus songs.  One can only hope!!!

Nikkogino

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Dec 18, 2023, 01:01 PMwell at least the song is out there even though it didn't make the cut.  Maybe one day they'll re-release Z with some bonus songs.  One can only hope!!!
I would love those z b-sides on vinyl...

johnnYYac

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Dec 18, 2023, 01:01 PMwell at least the song is out there even though it didn't make the cut.  Maybe one day they'll re-release Z with some bonus songs.  One can only hope!!!
I suspect Z will get the 20th anniversary treatment later this year or early 2025.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.