For those who have heard Z

Started by Clarkwork, Sep 30, 2005, 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarkwork

For those who have heard Z a few times now I have a question for you.  

If you had a friend who has not heard anything by MMJ, which of the 4 albums would you want them to hear first?  I know there would be a lot of factors involved, but which album would you start a new MMJ fan off with?  Each are so different, yet still have that MMJ sound.  Just curious.  

If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

aMillionDreams

I would work backwards.  Go 'It Still Moves'>'At Dawn'>the EPs>Tennesse Fire
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Jellyfish

The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

tomEisenbraun

at  dawn, cranked. on a road trip. the way that he sings is just toooo frickin foot-tappingly awesome to be able to pass up
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

fitzcarraldo

QuoteWithout question,"At Dawn".
:)

October

in terms of accessibility, Z might actually be a great place to start for people used to listening to more pop-rock type stuff. it's short, their cleanest studio sound yet, and has some nice catchy riffs and chorus parts

i feel like at dawn, although it's my favorite, is sort of this huge sprawling monster and that may be a tough place for a beginner to start

Clarkwork

I agree with you 100%.  That's why I would lean towards ISM or Z.  
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

blaine

i've listened to all of the albums now A LOT!!
and i gotta say i'd make a mix for a newby to just show how versatile the band is...

but if i had to choose an album... i think it'd have to be "it still moves"... that one sounds the most like their live show to me.. and that's the best thing about MMJ imo... but this one has the uptempo rockers.. and the killer mellow jams too... and it's the one that hooked me :)

i think "z" would be next in line... just because "anytime" and "lay low" rock so much...

when i first heard "at dawn" i liked the first 3 songs... but i thought it was too slow and too long of an album...
but i agree "the way that he sings" (possibly their best song if i dare say such a thing) is one of the best pop songs ever written.. and i don't really see how any open minded person wouldn't LOVE that song...

which goes back to my earlier point... MAKE EM A MIX!!

tomEisenbraun

which song is it where Jim sings: "up with it! up with it!"? is that Gideon? or Anytime? I have no idea how either would possibly sound, but I think it might be gideon, form how its been described as a "space rocker" and I think the riff may fit that. either way, I'm lookign forward to that song. both on the record and live. haha, a week from now, I should just be finishing up my second Jacket show. And it will be amazing.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

I would like to say At Dawn because it's my fav but I think Z is their most accessible.
Maybe ISM because it's somewhere in the middle?
Not sure...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

havibulin

i would say ISM because it falls somewhere in between the new one and the earlier stuff. Then they could go either way comfortably without having to make any large leaps.