johnconaway reviews Z

Started by johnconaway, Oct 05, 2005, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

First off, there are many songs on here that are simply masterpieces.  The atmospheric "Gideon" is a sonic salad, with many ingredients like tasty keys and guitar intertwined together.  The ending is majestic even as it trails off.  "Lay Low" has the distinction of kicking its own ass at the end with the two guitars wailing back and forth.

Experimentalism seems to be the order of the day as new combinations of sounds seem to fall in to play here.  It is an artistic statement unlike any of the band's previous efforts.  With Jim's voice front and center, and our good friend Mr. Reverb taking a short respite, we hear very clearly Jim's lyrics and delivery like never before.  Sure, he's there on "Gideon", but he seems to take a back seat on a lot of the other songs.  

Of course, 'Don Dante' will become a fan favorite as it possesses all of the classic MMJ elements:  spooky atmosphere.  massive reverb.  gut wrenching vocals.  kick ass guitar solo ala "since I've been lovin' you" blues, and then that howl that really lifts the piece off into the stratosphere.

It's easy to believe in rock 'n roll when it delivers like this.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

primushead

Nice...I especially like the line about "lay low" kicking it's own ass.  So true, my friend.  So true.

I meant Mr. Reverb, not Jim... ;)

EC

QuoteIt's easy to believe in rock 'n roll when it delivers like this.
[smiley=rock.gif]

The world is different now that Z is in it.  Yesterday on my way to work, I noticed that a mist hung in the city.  Not smog, actual, real mist, like clouds that were hanging around to get a closer listen to my headphones.  It was swooping through the trees as the N2 the Woodz Men's Choir belted their waltzy wails.

Honestly, music is so back.  

primushead

Quote "Lay Low" has the distinction of kicking its own ass at the end with the two guitars wailing back and forth.

I thought it was just about the song being awesome.  Mr. Reverb didn't come into play until the 2nd paragraph. ???

TheLink

sonic salad!  hey, pitchfork didn't use that.  nice job conaway. ;D

primushead

Quotesonic salad!  hey, pitchfork didn't use that.  nice job conaway. ;D

I didn't think pitchfork had reviewed Z yet...have they?

ratsprayer

I didn't think pitchfork had reviewed Z yet...have they?

its now after midnight here, and i expect Z will be the featured review of the day.  its a bit shit its been this long.  i understand Z, franz ferdinand, broken social scene, and boards of canada, just to mention a few, all had albums come out on the 4th, but pitchfork is milking it by only reviewing of these big albums per day instead of all at once.  i predicting 8.9 for Z, anyone else?  i think ill start a separate thread for it.

antoniostrohs

Nice Job John! You might have to change professions. ;D

dream professions for me:

-never ending roadie for MMJ
-music journalist
-A/R man for label

somehow, i wonder if i could combine all three into one kick ass job....hmmmmmm

EC

QuoteNice Job John! You might have to change professions. ;D

Agreed.